I can't work out how to embed.

Anyway my two girls are currently watching this on the iPlayer. The theme song is the biggest earworm ever. I can't get rid of it! It's so laid back and catchy. It's also one of the most inoffensive and quite frankly soothing childrens shows I've ever seen. It makes me think back to the likes of Pigeon Street and King Rollo. Narrated by Tamsin Greig. I'm becoming slightly obsessed by it. Help me!

"Love Monster!"

You're right -very cathcy song. My little one doesn't like the show for some reason. The name also carries a bit of risk should a young kid choose to google it.....

On another note, there's an aussie kids cartoon called Bluey on Apple TV which is absolutely tremendous.

My little boy quite likes Love Monster, but the music is indeed very catchy.

Bluey is coming to CBeebies. Saw a trailer the other day.

Mine is obsessed with Go Jetters, Danger Mouse and Andy’s adventures.

Love Monster feels like the kind of kids' show that's aimed more at adults than it is at children, with the vaguely ironic aesthetic and hipsterish music. Sort of like when Cbeebies did that thing with music by Squarepusher, or the TV equivalent of one of those right-on children's bookshops that are full of empowering books for kids, with graphic novel biographies of Frieda Kahlo, Ada Lovelace and Greta Thunberg and books about mindfulness for toddlers, with a tiny section in the corner grudgingly filled with stories called things like Captain Fart meets the Poo Monsters of Wee-Wee Island, which is inevitably where all the actual children are.

I had no idea what this show was until I heard the theme and realised I've seen pretty much every episode without knowing it's happened. Hey Duggee and Go Jetters have similarly great themes, although I've gone off Go Jetters a bit since Grandmaster Glitch became their pal.

5 minutes ago, wullie said:

I had no idea what this show was until I heard the theme and realised I've seen pretty much every episode without knowing it's happened. Hey Duggee and Go Jetters have similarly great themes, although I've gone off Go Jetters a bit since Grandmaster Glitch became their pal.

Go Jetters give me a headache. As does the new Dangermouse. It's just background noise. Where as the likes of Love Monster can actually hold my attention. I've sat through umpteen episodes of Hey Duggee but could barely tell you what happens in any of them. It's just so boring.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Bluey, Duggee and Love Monster are all amazing. See also Kiri and Lou 

Cannot stand In the Night Garden or Paw Patrol.

Completely agree with Paw Patrol, it's just so bland and cheaply made especially with the localisation of the voice acting. You can tell it has too much of a US dialect which feels so out of place when you hear it in a different accent. I know this is also a bit ironic to say for someone who's a child of the 80's who grew up with shows purely based in toys, but there's a sense in some of these types of shows where you can almost feel like it's a blatant toy show. I reminds me in the same way with Butterbeans Cafe.

Bing is the worst I've ever seen. Whiny little prick who ruins everyone's fun and cries about the tiniest little thing while everyone around him dotes on him and enables his behaviour. In years to come he'll be a serial killer because nobody told him no and he just thought mutilating his friends was a Bing Thing.

Peter Rabbit's a dickhead too

Bing is definitely one of the worst programmes on CBeebies and the world they inhabit raises so many questions.

Nick Cope’s Popcast, new Clangers and Kiri and Lou are definitely favourites in our household (for both kids and parents). The Adventures of Paddington is also very charming, but not sure what channel it is shown on.

EDIT: And how could I forget Pui Pui Molcar!

I fucking HATE Bing the whiny entitled twat.

I make it bearable by pretending the whole thing is a post apocalyptic dystopia.

Basically Covid 22 wiped out the majority of people and they discovered that as only animals were surviving they had to quickly create human/animal hybrids. As humans couldn't survive they created small stuffed animal AIs to bring up the new breed of humans and to provide services. They created a Utopian town for them to live in but everything outside Bingtown is a smoking ruin. There is evidence for the latter in the episode where Bing and Flop try to go the beach and find it impossible due to setbacks.

I don't mind Bing so much, it seems to me to be a very traditional, gentle, boring kid's programme, but boring in a way that kids find reassuring. The only thing I really dislike on Cbeebies is probably that Dennis the Menace cartoon, mainly because it's in the anaemic modern Beano style where Dennis and his handsome friends generally behave themselves, rather than the old, good, version where Dennis and his band of grotesque freaks make other peoples' lives a living hell, and is then subjected to some brutal corporal punishment. Oh, and that godawful Peter Rabbit cartoon that looks like it was rendered in Unreal Engine 3 with all the graphics settings set to 'very low', and where all the Beatrix Potter characters say things like "epic!" and "too much information!".

Hey Duggie feels like it should be terrible - it's the kind of TV programme you would expect Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer to make - but it's hard to deny its brilliance, and the acting is universally amazing.

I'll specifically switch off or play something else when Bing comes on, our daughter copies so much of what she hears now I can't risk it. Although she does seem to have picked up on my dislike for it, whenever I switch over she tells me 'don't like Bing'. Never been more proud

Do yourselves a favour and get your kids into Teen Titans Go ASAP. My daughters three and we’ve been big fans for a long time. I see a lot of myself in Robin, and my wife is basically Raven, so it’s very relatable. Although my daughter now says ‘the’ before most things, like Starfire. Sunday was ‘the greatest of the days,’ for example.

Thankfully gone off Bing, which is indeed the worst thing on CBeebies, and seems to have grown out of Duggee and Peppa Pig already (although got two PP books from the library yesterday so maybe not) but Teen Titans Go is a brilliant failsafe when she’s deciding between watching a Christmas film or that hamster car toy thingy mentioned upthread.

I don’t think we’ve ever actually watched Love Monster. Played the game on the iPad (the CBeebies apps are AMAZING, especially considering they’re free) though.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to try my daughter with Love Monster today, cant say I have seen her watching it. 

I love a good theme tune, Go Jetters as said already is great, also Waffle the dog and the banging theme to Topsy and Tim

On 13/04/2021 at 11:08, El Spatula said:

I fucking HATE Bing the whiny entitled twat.

I make it bearable by pretending the whole thing is a post apocalyptic dystopia.

Basically Covid 22 wiped out the majority of people and they discovered that as only animals were surviving they had to quickly create human/animal hybrids. As humans couldn't survive they created small stuffed animal AIs to bring up the new breed of humans and to provide services. They created a Utopian town for them to live in but everything outside Bingtown is a smoking ruin. There is evidence for the latter in the episode where Bing and Flop try to go the back and find it impossible due to setbacks.

It's much simpler. The 'adults' are ants with knitted costumes and they're farming those animals Promised Neverland style. 

No love for Octonauts? My kid can't get enough of it. Feels like it's laying a nice groundwork for when I make him watch Star Trek too.

The best ones are clearly the ones that have a stab at making the grown up laugh at least once, like Hey Duggee. Fair play to the people who make it who clearly stick stuff in to keep themselves amused. And boo to anything like Paw Patrol that is painfully po-faced and boring. How can someone make that without going mad? 

Not Cbeebies, but Netflix's Cory Carson usually has at least one decent laugh per episode. My kid has just started getting into more watchable stuff like the new Ducktales too, that I'd happily watch on my own. Need to get back into Teen Titans Go, as he enjoyed that but didn't know what was going on the last time we watched it. 

My daughter who is two and a half is very much into Sarah and Duck at the mo, so much so she says she wants to be like Sarah and is now picking up mannerisms such as going ‘ehhh!?’ And whispering words that Sarah uses.

I did buy her this massive duck plush for £20 on amazon though.

93010DA5-DB6F-4A9F-B83D-ADCF4DDDB481.thumb.jpeg.6e0bdcb9034def33bc8f0c79e5855e27.jpeg

(not her obviously).

Its a nice fairly laid back show although I think duggee is amazing, especially the stick song. Don’t know it? Search it and probably love and hate me in equal measure for ever after.

Yeah Sarah and Duck is decent. It's a good wind-down show and talks to kids like adults, without reducing to the cloying sappiness of Night Garden and Moon and Me. 

My daughter also loves JoJo and Gran Gran. I find it very watchable too which helps, and the talking heads section of kids chatting shit always throws up some gems. There was a really odd moment on a recent episode though, they were talking about astronauts and Gran Gran made a point about showing JoJo 'the first African American woman in outer space' before she got onto the moon landing team etc. I get what they are aiming for, kids from any background can do whatever they want to do etc, but it's always been distinctly colourblind until that point and it was really jarring, a bit too on the nose. 

On 23/04/2021 at 16:22, AK Bell said:

No love for Octonauts? My kid can't get enough of it. Feels like it's laying a nice groundwork for when I make him watch Star Trek too.

The best ones are clearly the ones that have a stab at making the grown up laugh at least once, like Hey Duggee. Fair play to the people who make it who clearly stick stuff in to keep themselves amused. And boo to anything like Paw Patrol that is painfully po-faced and boring. How can someone make that without going mad? 

Not Cbeebies, but Netflix's Cory Carson usually has at least one decent laugh per episode. My kid has just started getting into more watchable stuff like the new Ducktales too, that I'd happily watch on my own. Need to get back into Teen Titans Go, as he enjoyed that but didn't know what was going on the last time we watched it. 

Yeah Octonauts is fantastic. 

True and the Rainbow Kingdom is super cute and fun too. 

On 23/04/2021 at 16:22, AK Bell said:

I always thought that Ben and Holly was brilliant for that, some genuinely funny grown up moments.

One I really don't like is Chuggington, which seems like if everyone in Thomas the Tank Engine was replaced by Poochie. Main issue is the theme song with the lyrics Chuuuuuuggington, Chugga chugga chugga chugga chuggington

FIVE DAYS I've had that in my head now.

47 minutes ago, wullie said:

One I really don't like is Chuggington, which seems like if everyone in Thomas the Tank Engine was replaced by Poochie. Main issue is the theme song with the lyrics Chuuuuuuggington, Chugga chugga chugga chugga chuggington

FIVE DAYS I've had that in my head now.

There is actually something worse. Mighty Express on Netflix wins the crown. Same shite, somehow even worse. 

Thomas is really watchable by comparison. 

(there seems to be another one on Netflix called Robot Trains. I refuse to watch it. Nope!)

19 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Ben and Holly is to Peppa Pig as Futurama was to Simpsons - a bit slicker and edgier, and a bit more knowing, so perhaps a bit less classic and universally loved, but still great. 

Peppa Pig is not universally loved. It's awful.