Old Age Gamers

Waggo

Another older gamer here at 49 this year. I plan on playing as long as I'm able.

Mulling over getting an Arcade cabinet but I'm worried the novelty would quickly wear off so not sure.

Another oldie here. Been gaming since I got my ZX81 (although I did have Pong and many Game & Watch type games through the years)

Had/still have Spectrum, Amiga, PC, PS1, XBox, PS2, PS3, Wii, PS4 and Switch (Skipped Bone). PC is still serviceable when it comes to games although getting very long in the tooth.

Was supposed to visit Tokyo last year for my 50th but got a Series S and PS5 instead

Spoiler

Also bought a convertible but that's another story :P

Most of my real life friends are not gamers and the ones who are mainly play Fifa/COD. Couple of guys in my team at work (late 20's/early 30's) were astounded that I'm a gamer and that I knew way more about gaming stuff that someone my age had any business of knowing...their words lol

My partner is not a gamer but is fine about it and doesn't mind if I want to commandeer the TV in the living room for a few hours. In fact that's what most of my Sunday afternoon is and also most evenings. I could fill my time with other things but without games I'd be bored shitless within a couple of days. I've even been known to watch E3 from the hotel balcony as it was usually on while we were on holiday

So yeah, will be gaming as long as I'm capable of doing so :D 

51 minutes ago, Pug said:

Mulling over getting an Arcade cabinet but I'm worried the novelty would quickly wear off so not sure.

Keep doing this myself however I know it will be a novelty so I settled with getting an arcade stick and using MAME on my PC. Not quite the same as having an old arcade game with a CRT screen etc but allows me to scratch that retro itch from time to time. Also my setup plays my favourite arcade shooters almost perfectly. Also takes up far less room....

I’m 49 and have been playing games since Combat on the Atari 2600. The proper wood effect six switch version.

I don’t play anywhere near as much as I would like, but that’s partly due to having a four year old son - yes, we left having children rather late.

I tend to play offline single player campaigns as my online experience, particularly with randoms, is that everyone’s an arsehole. I’m sure this isn’t true of the rllmuk community though.

Turning 47 this year. Been playing since the Atari 2600 days - still have the Atari boxes and cartridges my dad bought me, I treasure those - and doubt I'll ever stop.

I think the time is coming when the critical mass of old git gamers is achieved such that titles will need to target the grey pound 

there will either be a game or modes within titles that make all the fonts really big, remove too much track detail so you can see where the course is going, slow everything down a bit to make it less confusing, let you not faff about with inventories or crafting shit and just let you play the game.

I think the FIFA 2 button 'dad' mode is at the forefront of this

9 minutes ago, Ivanho said:

Also 47 in August, played games since my Dad put a Zx80 kit together.  I’ll still be playing when I’m on my way to the great Arcade in the sky.

I couldn't afford the ZX80 at the time, so saved up my money to eventually buy the ZX81. But I remember a couple of lads in school getting the ZX80 after it was advertised on the back of cornflakes or something like that?

Possibly, my Dad was an engineer by trade, he built a whole surround for the ZX81, including a hand built extension board so that the 16k ram pack and a joystick (an Atari controller) could be used at the same time.  Probably the simplest thing but at the time my mind was blown, as were my friends who had to use the keyboard on theirs.  I’ll have to ask him if he took any pictures of it, it was magnificent.

12 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I am so jeaous of you, playing that game, for the first time, oh, to have the story be fresh, new and exciting. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's my actual favourite game ever, but I'd love to be able to go back to it and see it without knowing anything about it again, it blew me away in 1995, and it still does to this day, just THE most wonderful game ever made :)

Being restricted to PAL in 1995 was hard! Quintet had to do some heavy lifting on Square's behalf once I'd finished LttP and realised that a lot of the good stuff was staying import-only. Playing CT now is like a bit of a dream. I keep recognising bits I've only ever pored over in magazines.

4 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Being restricted to PAL in 1995 was hard! Quintet had to do some heavy lifting on Square's behalf once I'd finished LttP and realised that a lot of the good stuff was staying import-only. Playing CT now is like a bit of a dream. I keep recognising bits I've only ever pored over in magazines.

I only got it as I was in Amaerica, bought a Virtual Boy, smashed through the Duracell's in an evening whilst my Mum and Aunt watched Batman Forever ( not sure what was worse tbh ) and developed a smashing headache.
The next day, the VB went back to Wallmart, and I got Final Fight Special, Chrono Trigger & Lion King on the SNES, possibly Weapon Lord as well with the funds I had been returned, think I did alright out of that.

It was a good trip, I picked up Breath of Fire and some LA Tech Light up trainers while there.

The ONE thing I messed up on though was not buying the big boxed Earthbound from the Gamestop round the corner from my Aunt's house, I'd taken to just hanging out in there for a couple of hours at a time during the day when we were not out and about, think it was $20 or something daft like that, guess they did give me a free Killer Cutz CD though, so that's somethign I guess :(

Import gaming back then was amazing, you got stuff months and months before anyone here ever heard of the new titles, not like now, same day releases, we're so spoilt now.

Coming up 52 soon, and been playing games since .. 1979? Had the Grandstand as a first console and I had a bunch of table top games for Christmas -one per year, no wonder we resorted to clocking Munchman!
Then had an Amstrad cpc464 which still works, unbelievably, along with the green screen monitor.

Shit, I have been testing games for 24 years.

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

Not to be too down here but I don't have children, I don't own my own home and never will at this rate, I am single and not in a massively wall-paying job. There is no magic time where I'll stop working and play games all day, I'll be working as long as my mind and body allow me to, the retirement age will be 70 at least by the time I get there. I'm not looking at a comfortable old age, in fact I'm absolutely scared witless at the thought of it. This is probably why I try and immerse myself in genre films, old games (my enthusiasm for this new generation is pretty much nil) and reading to hopefully keep my mind lithe and active. 

Important not to compare to what the society conventions. But get where you are coming from.

In the end just about moving on and doing what you can in life. Not sure I'll ever retire either at this rate. I guess at least we have jobs and income - after a spell of unemployment last year (first time in 20+ years) made me appreciate things a lot more and focus on what is important and what we do have not what we don't.

Games are a fantastic escape mechanism though for sure! So I'll be gaming as long as I can. Sometimes I find it overwhelming the breadth and quality of gaming hardware and software at our disposal these days. The progress I've seen from my first gaming device to my current gaming devices is staggering. Although not always sure about the concepts these days at times. Simple seems to be better for me. Not that I can't handle complex but my work can be complex at times and I don't need complex to chill out too. :) 

4 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Important not to compare to what the society conventions. But get where you are coming from.

In the end just about moving on and doing what you can in life. Not sure I'll ever retire either at this rate. I guess at least we have jobs and income - after a spell of unemployment last year (first time in 20+ years) made me appreciate things a lot more and focus on what is important and what we do have not what we don't.

Games are a fantastic escape mechanism though for sure! So I'll be gaming as long as I can. Sometimes I find it overwhelming the breadth and quality of gaming hardware and software at our disposal these days. The progress I've seen from my first gaming device to my current gaming devices is staggering. Although not always sure about the concepts these days at times. Simple seems to be better for me. Not that I can't handle complex but my work can be complex at times and I don't need complex to chill out too. :) 

I mentioned my situation mainly because I'm in a strange position where it feels like I reached a plateau in my mid-30s and have stayed there, and as I get older there's a disconnect between my situation and all the "normal" people I know who still see gaming as something kids do. This isn't a particularly bohemian place, most people I know have taken the straight path and see anything off that as a bit strange, even gaming or slightly-obscure films/music/etc.

My current situation doesn't bother me that much, there are plenty of married men out there who would kill for the life I have, it's more worries about old age. Games do offer a respite from worries, but they should also be something good in themselves, and hopefully something I'll continue doing for many years. 

I'm 48 and trod a similar route to many in this thread (ZX81 -> Spectrum 48K -> Atari ST -> Consoles). I've never stopped and still play games pretty much every day (currently mid way through a full Yakuza runthrough). I'm an outlier amongst my peers though, none of my friends are gamers - they either never got into it or left it behind at some point. I guess that Gen-X caught the first wave of video gaming and not everyone held the wave.

I can't imagine a world without gaming; I'm certain that however long I live I will be playing something. One of my fears is that I will lose the ability to play games as part of the aging process - my world would be a much greyer place without video games.

Here is my mum in 2017 enjoying her first VR experience, aged 75.
She loves big cats and the like so she loved the PS jungle demo.
I had access to pretty much all VR kit available then, and the PSVR was leagues ahead in ergonomics and simplicity, if not horsepower or resolution.

Mum2017.jpg

Cool! Mine does not like wearing headphones with the VR headset, she says it feels too claustrophobic for her. She is OK with the VR headsets with stand-off earpieces, though.

I wouldn't class myself as old, and I enjoy the odd game, but I do feel like I'm doing it more as procastination and 'because I always have' rather than purely for enjoyment. At times it feels like gaming is detrimental to my life, an 'easy escape' from doing something more productive and beneficial, along with some misplaced internal pressure to play/complete every game I own (the 'backlog'), even though the majority were free / from subscriptions (Epic, PS Plus, XBL, etc.). 

The moments where I really enjoy a game are rare, but great when they happen - I wish I could extract those moments from all the other faff I do around the hobby and drop the rest. All too often games feel like a second job, rather than relaxation. 

Astro Bot was incredible, I intentionally got up before work to play a few levels, I enjoyed it that much - I cannot remember when that last happened. 

Wreckfest was pure racing enjoyment, I completed the campaign on PC and I intend to do so again on PS5. 

Untitled Goose Game was silly fun, I laughed, my son laughed. HONK!!

The genuine moments of gaming joy are out there, I just hope I can filter out the rest of the cr*p sooner rather than later.

On 11/04/2021 at 22:19, Dave White said:

Just turned 50 and game more than I ever have. If anything I play pubg more than anything and got 16 wins with slipper king @RickyDVTlast season. 

I find the hand holding and eye rolling storylines a chore more than ever in gaming. But give me from soft all day every day. 

just bought a vewlix for sf and am currently shaving times off daily on my newly arrived initial d arcade stage 8 cab. 

Oi, you can't just drop knowledge like this and not post pictures.