Which of these Sci-fi movies should I watch tonight?

Funny, Friday evening I wanted to watch something scf-fi/spacey. I'd settled on Sunshine as I've only seen it once, but none of my subs (Prime, Netflix, D+) has it, so that was a bust. I almost watched Solaris, having not seen it before, bet in the end went for a rewatch of the Star Trek reboots. :)

Coherence from @Commander Jameson is a great shout and available on Prime.

Regarding Solaris, is it genuinely good?

Solaris is more interesting that good in my opinion, it kind of misses the point of the original story I thought

Spoiler

That the protagonist has to murder what to him appears to be a loved one repeatedly.

Although it's a good few years since I watched it and my take might be way off the mark

I thought the Soderbergh version still carries themes from Lem's novel.  It was a more condensed and elegant version of them.  I think it's a good film but it's so long ago since I last saw it.

The commentary with Soderbergh and Cameron,who produces, was good. Cameron takes the piss out his version of the docking sequence, which would have been far more in love with the hardware. It does give insight into what he was thinking overall, which would have been been on the planet, with lots of mophin' spectacle.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Funny, Friday evening I wanted to watch something scf-fi/spacey. I'd settled on Sunshine as I've only seen it once, but none of my subs (Prime, Netflix, D+) has it, so that was a bust. I almost watched Solaris, having not seen it before, bet in the end went for a rewatch of the Star Trek reboots. :)

Which version? The Clooney version, I presume? It's solid.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there - although I don’t quite believe that anyone who has sat through the execrable Sunshine once would then actively seek it out again, so I’m not sure I believe the premise of this story!

11 hours ago, ZOK said:

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there - although I don’t quite believe that anyone who has sat through the execrable Sunshine once would then actively seek it out again, so I’m not sure I believe the premise of this story!

I've only seen it once, and it was back in around 2008 or so. Perhaps I have a rose-tinted view of the movie, but I do recall enjoying it.

On 12/04/2021 at 08:58, Thor said:

I've only seen it once, and it was back in around 2008 or so. Perhaps I have a rose-tinted view of the movie, but I do recall enjoying it.

I do not have rose-tinted specs, Sunshine is a perfectly good example of science fiction.  Mark Strong's character is the weakest element by a long way, but it's still a good movie.

Sunshine is on Disney+ now, for anyone interested. Perhaps @ZOK will give it another chance. ;)

The AV Club just did a retrospective article on Sunshine:

https://film.avclub.com/danny-boyle-s-sunshine-is-a-blindingly-human-space-odys-1846693010

Most people in the comments aren't too keen on its genre shift:

Spoiler

A solid-light sentient sun avatar would’ve made more sense than a guy whose third degree burns grant him super-strength.

Spoiler

I watched it again tonight because of this review. I saw it a couple of times and always liked it until it turned into a monster movie, but I finally figured out what bothers me.

It isn’t the villain or the fact it changes tone so quickly, those kind of even make sense given the madness of the enterprise. It is the direction of those chase scenes, which throws away the magnificent space shots that make the movie so much worth rewatching, and it replaces it with stuff that is confused, indistinct, and overly stylized.

The entire movie is just a long tribute to Dan O’Bannon- first part is Dark Star, last act is Alien.

Also someone linked to this clip:

I really like Sunshine. They could have gone a slightly different route with the antagonist but it still works well and the slow ponderous space bits mean you can forgive the slightly chaotic last quarter.

This has been my ringtone on every phone I've owned since 2008!

what was the alien collection doing there? the only ones you could class as scifi are the shit ones :P

Silent running is utterly superb and would be the best of the bunch if 2001 wasn't in there :D

11 hours ago, Nick R said:

The AV Club just did a retrospective article on Sunshine:

https://film.avclub.com/danny-boyle-s-sunshine-is-a-blindingly-human-space-odys-1846693010

Most people in the comments aren't too keen on its genre shift:

Also someone linked to this clip:

I’ve not read the links, but I imagine they follow my issue with it - it’s a competent SF flick with a decent premise up until it turns unto a godawful brain dead monster movie, and as a consequence it’s just a pile of pointless wank.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

If Alien isn't scifi, then what else?

:quote:

that did make me chuckle :D

Red Dwarf is Scifi NOT a sitcom as a sitcom cannot be set in space :D

To be fair it is easy to confuse setting and genre when the future is a setting and that is also conflated with the genre of Scifi.

45 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve not read the links, but I imagine they follow my issue with it - it’s a competent SF flick with a decent premise up until it turns unto a godawful brain dead monster movie, and as a consequence it’s just a pile of pointless wank.

Sunshine is an oddity and Interstellar reminded me of it as well. It is shot beautifully and it has all the trappings of being an epic like 2001 with gorgeous cinematography (the Sun in that film is like an extra character outside of the ship such is it's oppressive presence) and a slow pace. However the rest of the film seems to just fizzle out (albeit in two very different ways for these two films).

I wanted to love both but ended up fairly ambivalent towards them.

Both Sunshine and Interstellar feature variants of my least favourite sci-fi trope, implausible space madness.  People staring at the sun for increasing periods is daft before Captain Sunburn Superpowers.  Matt Damson's Dr Sabotage for craaazy reasons is equally duff.

3 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Matt Damson's Dr Sabotage for craaazy reasons is equally duff.

Nah I'd say his character is a really good element of the movie.

On 11/04/2021 at 19:45, GamesGamesGames said:

His Master's Voice was my favourite serious sci-fi of recent years. For a lighter action romp with a lot of schlocky charm I'd go for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which also has my favourite opening sequence of recent times.

Valerian was visually stunning and incredibly inventive at times, but daft in places and hamstrung by the two main stars being absolutely shite at acting. I need to watch it again to better articulate what I didn't like about it, but it's certainly worth a punt for some mindless SF spectacle.

17 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Valerian was visually stunning and incredibly inventive at times, but daft in places and hamstrung by the two main stars being absolutely shite at acting. I need to watch it again to better articulate what I didn't like about it, but it's certainly worth a punt for some mindless SF spectacle.

It's a proper romp for sure. If you can roll with all the ham, or get in touch with your kid self enough, it's a lot of fun.

I really like Sunshine, but do agree the ending is terrible. There are hints of a more interesting movie in there:

Spoiler

It’s been a while since I watched it, but when the garden is destroyed and they find out they don’t have enough oxygen for them all to return home, that could have been explored further. They’re all working together, but then kind of not at the same time. I don’t know. As I say, it’s been a while and I might not be remembering it properly.

Overall, it’s a solid space film with a great soundtrack.

I'mm watching Triangle right now and 30 minutes in, slightly naff CGI notwithstanding, it is very unsettling.

Bonus points for the gratuitous shot of Melissa George's boobs as she wakes up on the yacht. I think.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Aww. Nobody recommended Moon.

MOON-GERTY-Crying.png.38bc0b0f35198856b83a28a138ce70cb.png

I’d have watched Moon out of that lot tbf. Sam Rockwell, man. Fantastic.

Spoiler

And more than one of him.

Also, another great soundtrack.

Maybe, but revealing that to someone who was looking for a recommendation and prefers to avoid spoiler-laden trailers should be avoided so thank you for editing your post. :)

It's nice to think of people doing into Moon cold.  

I've not seen it since the whole Spacey thing.  Does it make Gerty even more menacing or just off-putting.

Spoiler

Does it make Gerty initially even more HAL sinister?