Which of these Sci-fi movies should I watch tonight?

I ended up this afternoon watching yet another essay on 2001 A Space Odyssey on YouTube, followed by a few more on 2010 The Year We Make Contact. 

This led to me going down the garden path to my shed to get 2001 and 2010 out of the box I keep my old dvds in. But I also ended up going "oh yeah, that's good, and that, and that as well" So I've now got about 20 films I want to watch before bed now. Event Horizon would be my choice this evening I think, but it appears to have been lost somewhere.

PXL_20210410_190752452.thumb.jpg.26897a881868ec2f296db7bf68ccc377.jpg

I should add that I've seen all of these at least once before, except Timecrimes which I've never got round to for some reason.

2001 and 2010 I've seen at least a dozen times.

So which of these offerings would you recommend? 

I have all six Alien movies, and I don't even mind the shit ones for the world building they do and the way they look but Aliens, as in the second one? I could go for that but I'd feel the need to watch the original first though.

It's a dilemma

Ended up going with Timecrimes. Thanks for the recommendations guys. It's just finished it and it has got my head spinning.

Contact again tomorrow maybe

3 minutes ago, multi said:

Ended up going with Timecrimes. Thanks for the recommendations guys. It's just finished it and it has got my head spinning.

Contact again tomorrow maybe

Have you seen Triangle? Watch that as well if you liked Timecrimes. 

Is Triangle still on Netflix? I think I had it in my watchlist but never got round to it.

Timecrimes though. Spectacularly creepy in parts

PXL_20210410_210447024.thumb.jpg.88b9242fc556ec9e8e3b932fec683639.jpg

PXL_20210410_210449495.thumb.jpg.1374056d5225e1d54fcdeb6e6a9db1fa.jpg

PXL_20210410_210450230.thumb.jpg.2399e123141bd7fad3308980e99c053f.jpg

And also the best use of Blondies Picture This in any movie.

God, Coherence. I remember when Commander Jameson recommended it to me. I don't know what it was, but that film got right under my skin. It was just such a weird atmosphere. Well worth a watch.

25 minutes ago, multi said:

Although I have to say (and I hope I'm not alone here) Primer absolutely mixed my head up.

I'm too thick to get that one.

It's definitely one that doesn't explain everything and does improve more with more watches.

There are some great explainer videos on the Primer thread, if you're interested.

His Master's Voice was my favourite serious sci-fi of recent years. For a lighter action romp with a lot of schlocky charm I'd go for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which also has my favourite opening sequence of recent times.

4 hours ago, monkeydog said:

If we don't hear from @multi today it's because they chose Tree of Life and died of boredom. :twisted:

(Great effects sequences though!)

Yes, those sequences are wonderful and made me hunt out Mr Malik's quite hard to get hold of Voyage of Time. I eventually managed to find a German Blu-ray online for a pretty stupid price. It's rather a stunning piece of work though but I've only managed to watch it once due to one of the real world sequences consisting of the bloody deaths of a herd of cows slap bang in the middle of it. (I had my hand over my eyes when it came on so I'm not sure of the context, whether it was the aftermath of a lorry crash perhaps or whether it was some ritual slaughter or something. It's a pity because it's a wonderful bit of film making overall, but I just cannot watch the death of an animal without getting very upset by it (I'm a meat eater so I'm very aware of my hypocrisy there).

I once ran over a rabbit/hare on my way home from work one night and it upset me for literally weeks. I think I posted about it on here at the time. It's also the reason why I'm missing out on all those David Attenborough documentaries that everyone loves. 

I know that's probably an odd and pretty nonsensical perspective but it's just something that I have no control over.