If you could only watch films starring one actor, who would you choose?

This was a conversation I had with a couple of mates. If you were locked in quarantine and only had films for entertainment, and if those films all had to star the same actor, who would you pick? 

For male actors I found it really easy. I went with Clint Eastwood in the end. 

I found it far more difficult to pick a female actor, especially as they had to be the star. I went with Jodie Foster which I think was a pretty good shout. 

Who would you choose for both male and female? 

Clint would probably be my choice for male too. So many great films, or just iconic performances. It's not for acting ability, just sheer presence. Otherwise probably Robert Redford. He's in my favourite film ever (The Sting) and also Butch Cassidy, but also in lots of other films that I think punch above their weight (Sneakers, The Hot Rock (an absolute favourite of mine) and many others). Also seems to be a really nice guy. There are definitely better actors, but these guys are just in films I love.

Female, Frances Mc Dormand. So very good. Absolutely adore her. 

Edit: Third place male actor might be Ed Harris. Not the same star quality of the previous two, but oh by crikey he's good. From Glengarry Glenross through Apollo 13 to The Rock he's ace.

5 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Great question.

Gene Hackman, I think.

Great choice. What about actresses? You could go for Sally Field, then you could watch The Poseiden Adventure either way. 

Susan Tyrrell. Can't think of a screen actress who comes close. Binoche and Huppert are obvious shouts too.

EDIT: Actually, maybe not Tyrrell, as I'd be watching most of that purely for her talent and not for the enjoyment of the films (although Fat City is unbeatable tbf).

Monica Vitti instead.

18 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

There’s probably quite a few bit part actors that have been in loads of films that will get you a really good selection including good tv shows. 

Yes, I was thinking of picking Bruce McGill for this reason!

Jackie Chan, the sheer number of top of the line action films he's been in is incredible, as well as some decent comedies as well. There's a lot to appreciate with his stunts.

26 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

There’s probably quite a few bit part actors that have been in loads of films that will get you a really good selection including good tv shows. 

Yeah but read the OP again.

Possibly Steve Buscemi for male. Two of the best (and most rewatchable) Tarantino films, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, a bunch of other Coen films, some fun Bruckheimer actioners, and loads of shitty Adam Sandler comedies for when you’re having an especially bad day.

54 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I immediately thought of Denholm Elliot when I read this, and there are a few corkers (Trading Places and Raiders Of The Lost Ark), but not quite as many as I expected. But yes - probably a good plan. 

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Possibly Steve Buscemi for male. Two of the best (and most rewatchable) Tarantino films, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, a bunch of other Coen films, some fun Bruckheimer actioners, and loads of shitty Adam Sandler comedies for when you’re having an especially bad day.

Also Things To Do in Denver When You're Dead, which I have a soft spot for. A great list.

Peter Sellers.

You get all his 60’s stuff. The Pink Panther series and The Lady Killers.

Then you get Lolita and Doctor Strangelove.

And finally the greatest movie... Being There.

Harrison Ford. You get Star Wars, Indy, Apocolypse Now, Blade Runner, the Clancy films and a quite a large range of middling to good films.

Sean Connery would be another good one.