Has Anthony Hopkins had a great career?

The Guardian has a 'Top 20 Hopkins films list'

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/apr/08/anthony-hopkins-film-performances-ranked#comments

...and a number of comments have said that he's done a lot of guff for such a long career and I've read this before too, of any actor as good as he is there’s not a lot of great stuff to show for 50 years. And i don't get it. Over the last 10 years when he was in his 70s he did trashy thrillers but then what great roles come by someone of his age, and Gary Oldman, who is 20 years younger, has done a similar amount. Still, 2 Oscar nominated roles in The Father and The Two Popes, King Lear, Westworld, not a bad role in Thor, Noah...supposed to good in 360...

Most of the comments would prove there is a fair amount, given half of them say 'no room for The Bounty? Nixon?? The Lion In Winter??' 

I think he's had a great career, and there's so many films of his I've not seen. Let this be a temporary Anthony Hopkins celebration thread while there's collective puzzlement as to why this is a talking point at all. But he's one of the best. His performance in Remains of The Day is kind of unreal. 

There's a video i like on YouTube that annotates a Westworld scene, describing all the different emotions he expresses in seconds with his face, showing the control and range he has that few can come close to. 

also, yes I'm bored. And yeah I've seen The Father and he's great in it. 

He's been truly incredible at times, regardless of the quality of the script or film. He's also been awful a fair bit, sometimes because he seems to have chosen a film badly or because he's barely turned up. Other times he seems to have enjoyed roles and performances that are widely derided. He can be amazingly nuanced and can say so much with so little. 

He's a fascinating human being with so many contradictions. He brushes off masculinity, alcoholism and depression one moment and is so clearly defined by them the next and certainly feeds off all three. He says he has settled over the years and he has clearly founds some peace (at the expense of his craft maybe). I love the fact that he wrote to Bryan Cranston telling him that his performance in Breaking Bad was the best acting he's seen but apparently he spends lots of time watching Midsommer Murders and Rosemary & Thyme.

He doesn't seem to give a shit what others think and I don't believe he actually thinks he's much good. He also blows hot and cold on acting, sometimes he seems to see it as a noble profession and other times he thinks its all a con. He's an odd one for sure. I like him a lot but I wouldn't mind if he kept acting or gave up because I'm not sure we will see a better Anthony Hopkins than we've had already. I just wish he would stop doing all those awful paintings or keep doing them but stop surrounding himself with people who tell him they're any good ;)

Hasn't he just had the career of almost all 'credible' actors now in that you pick a few low paying but interesting films to do your 'acting' in then take huge paychecks to lend your credibility to big studio utter dreck.

It was also the only time in three films that he didn't look like he was sleepwalking through the part for a cheque. Can't really blame him, imagine getting the script for The Dark World through the post and thinking I have to try and put effort in for this?

No actor can put across an air of total contempt and indifference for a script like Anthony Hopkins.

Nothing will ever be able to override the memory of his performance in the terrible and justly forgotten Wolfman remake where for one inexplicable scene, completely at odds with his performance in the rest of the movie, he does what sounds like a deliberate impression of Rowland Birkin QC off the Fast Show.

"..hrmm...hrrmmhmm...little Indian boy!...hrmmm...hrhmmmhm...eyes like a wolf!"

Every great actor does some shite films - Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington have done some shite. The good ones usually outweigh the bad, so nobody really remembers them. The opposite extreme is Daniel Day Lewis, where I sometimes wonder if he did so few films because he was shit scared of tarnishing his legacy. 

Of course he has. Even the greats turn up to work some days and can't be arsed - most don't have a camera turned on them to capture it.

Hopkins is a great, no question

19 hours ago, matt0 said:

No actor can put across an air of total contempt and indifference for a script like Anthony Hopkins.

Nothing will ever be able to override the memory of his performance in the terrible and justly forgotten Wolfman remake where for one inexplicable scene, completely at odds with his performance in the rest of the movie, he does what sounds like a deliberate impression of Rowland Birkin QC off the Fast Show.

"..hrmm...hrrmmhmm...little Indian boy!...hrmmm...hrhmmmhm...eyes like a wolf!"

I liked The Wolfman. It was old fashioned and quite gory. Hopkins was good. Hugo Weaving was good ("Pint 'o bitter, please."). It was Del Toro who was on autopilot.

I'm also tickled by the fact that Mark Gatiss is in The Father with Hopkins. It reminded me of his impersonation of Hopkins in the League of Gentlemen's DVD commentary for Blood on Satan's Claw. "Mutter, mutter... and...Tommy Cooper... mutter..."

I'm a fan of that movie as well. I watched it relatively recently and my immediate impression was just how good of a performance it was from Hopkins. Every moment he was on screen was a masterclass.

That and Brad Pitt's Jamaican accent.

Yes. I would strongly agree he has and that is before considering anything he has treaded the boards in too. 

Side note - I would love to see him play Glokta in any adaptation of Joe Abercrombie’s books too. 

He’s a quality actor, but can we all at least agree* he was terrible as Lecter, with that high-camp, histrionic panto take on the character. Though Demme and Ted Tally need to share some of the blame for the wankfest that is SotL.

* of course we can’t.

On 09/04/2021 at 23:05, Thwomp said:

The opposite extreme is Daniel Day Lewis, where I sometimes wonder if he did so few films because he was shit scared of tarnishing his legacy. 

He has said that he makes so few films, relative to other actors, as he invests to much energy into the projects he does choose that he needs the space between to recover. His investment certainly shows in his performances...

Also, moving to Florence in order to learn how to cobble from a master cobbler is not something that can be done if wasting time filling a schedule with easy, wallet filling, roles!

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

he was terrible as Lecter

It's an interesting one this because I believe it was an original and exciting idea to play a psychopath like that at the time?

On 09/04/2021 at 23:05, Thwomp said:

The opposite extreme is Daniel Day Lewis, where I sometimes wonder if he did so few films because he was shit scared of tarnishing his legacy. 

Man, he's in Nine by Rob Marshall where he spends the whole film running around with a comedy Italian accent.

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

He’s a quality actor, but can we all at least agree* he was terrible as Lecter, with that high-camp, histrionic panto take on the character. Though Demme and Ted Tally need to share some of the blame for the wankfest that is SotL.

* of course we can’t.

I love Ridley Scott's Hannibal. It's a masterclass in sending both yourself and the character you made famous up. It also looks bloody lovely.

"Okey doky!"