I love this game, and have had it on most of the major consoles (which I no longer own anymore).

Is there a simple way to play this now - in this emulated world? Would love to have a blast every couple of days without hooking up old xbox's or ps3's...

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

I have the PC version above and it actually runs too fast on mine, even using onboard graphics. Is there a way to cap the frame rate?

It's locked to the refresh rate so if you have a 120hz monitor or whatever then you'll need to lock it to 60HZ before firing up the game

26 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

This is the way

Problem with the Psp version is it's 30fps with drops. Unless you overclock your Psp that is

There's not really a bad version is there? I've played the Xbox originals, the PS2 versions, the PSP port and the PC version (which is great once you install the no disc patch). They are all entirely playable, it's just a question of price/convenience really. Don't sleep on the original Outrun either - I've put many hours into the Sega Ages port on the Switch. Not as shiny as Outrun 2 obviously, but it's aged brilliantly.

48 minutes ago, mash said:

Problem with the Psp version is it's 30fps with drops. Unless you overclock your Psp that is

Whilst true, it can't be beaten for convenience. Carry it in your pocket, keep it in Sleep Mode when not using it, boots back into the game instantly :wub:

27 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Xbox360 with Outrun Online Arcade is best. You may need to find a machine with it already installed. 

Is it the best? It's missing stuff from the Xbox versions. It has always been a bit buggy for me too but I seem to be the only person with this problem. 

5 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Internet Archive? I haven't tried this version myself, as I still have my disc...

https://archive.org/details/OUTRUN2006C2C

I had a quick look into this to get it working as I'm still gutted I missed out on purchasing the Steam version.  Have to fiddle about to get it working with my controller

There is also around fix called Outrun 2 FXT which gets it working with a force feedback wheel as this PC version was missing a lot of features:

OVERVIEW:

In the early 2000's Sega took the world by storm with the creation of the first true sequel to Outrun, Outrun 2, which in turn produced it's own expansion, Outrun SP. The two versions were eventually merged into a single title for the home console and pc under the title Outrun 2006.

Unfortunately the pc build of the game was rushed and had some things wrong with it. Wheel support is shoddy, the game has issues with multiple gamepads and force feedback was omitted. In addition there are a few songs missing, some censorship and various arcade inaccuracies

Outrun 2 FXT: Feel the road, is an extreme hack via a wrapper and some other techniques to get the game as arcade accurate as possible as well as making the game more steering wheel friendly. Of course the main draw is the addition of force feedback.

FEATURES:

Window and Fullscreen modes and support for spanned monitors.

Wheel Override, which eliminates the rather large default deadzone.

Shifter Override, which allows for the use of a H-shifter up/down shifter or both.

VR Override which allows each view to get it's own button and custom camera views.

Joystick Override, which fixes the games tendency to forget joystick mappings.

De-censored Clarissa graphics.

Arcade Mode, which hides the menus and makes the game run like Outrun 2 SP

Bonus Songs, including two tracks omitted from the US version of the game.

Fixed horn button that actually honks

The ability to play as the unfinished bonus drivers, and flag man!

Force-feedback and xinput rumble.

And more on the way!

For me it's the arcade version running on a PC via teknoparrot. The arcade machine was a fixed-spec PC running Windows, so no emulation and you don't need a beast of a PC to run it - just an Nvidia or AMD GPU. It upscales to 1080p/4k nicely too, if that's your thing. Teknoparrot does bring up a bunch of false positives in Windows Defender (which is easily sorted). It's a minor bit of faf for the best looking version out there. Doesn't include the C2C stuff, obviously.

There's a deadzone slider for pads, which works well. It also supports FFB wheels too, which I've not tried.

Hmm I've tried that Teknoparrot on 3 different anti virus scanners and they all throw up loads of different warnings. Reading through the site and it's a bit suspicious how they tell you to disable them. Can't recall any other emulators or software causing this before so not for me.

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Hmm I've tried that Teknoparrot on 3 different anti virus scanners and they all throw up loads of different warnings. Reading through the site and it's a bit suspicious how they tell you to disable them. Can't recall any other emulators or software causing this before so not for me.

It's part of the system's protection that the TP team haven't been able to remove without breaking everything. I've been using it for years without issue.

Is there a technical explanation anywhere on tekno parrot and the virus issue. Does seem really odd. Is it trying to install unsigned drivers?

Also have managed to make wheel games work on s game lad well?

48 minutes ago, ucci said:

https://www.desertislandfruits.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4220-outrun-2-sp-dx-lindbergh-on-pc-using-teknoparrot/

This has some working links in it and instructions on how to setup, I am just starting it now, but I have an AMD Fury X card so maybe not suitable for teknoparrot....

You may need an AMD shader fix for Outrun 2, send me a PM if you can't track it down.

29 minutes ago, bplus said:

Is there a technical explanation anywhere on tekno parrot and the virus issue. Does seem really odd. Is it trying to install unsigned drivers?

As per my previous post - pretty much every early-mid 2000's (and beyond) arcade games were essentially PC games running on modified versions windows with embedded code to prevent them from just running on an actual PC. Hence why consumer versions of Windows shit the bed when you download teknoparrot and games that it runs.

Can someone post the resolution patches from that site, their sign up involves giving a bunch of info, the worst captcha ever and then begging other users to upvote you to download a sodding file.