Pac-Man 99 - New Battle Royale game for Switch - Free with NSO

It's amusing - got to 2nd place on my first go and then was showered by ghosts in my other attempts. I don't think I'll play it forever, but for a random quick pick-up, it's good.

40 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

music is god tier.

The whole thing is. I've bought the Deluxe, because I can see myself playing enough of this to justify it. I don't NEED the themes, so it's possibly a bit of an indulgence to get myself a showoff avatar, but I'll almost certainly make use of the Score Attack mode because that is somewhere between the unbelievably brilliant CEDX and the annoyingly underwhelming CE2. Even if I don't, I'm a huge fan of the concept, and want it to succeed!

I don't know how private matches work, though. Do we need to find 100 of us? Setting them up asks for a PIN, and then it gives 100 seconds to find people. Maybe if we all agree to be around at some point today I can host some? Let me know when people are available, because while 99 players is a lot, we could all most likely learn some good stuff with fewer other mazes to think about.

It's better than Mario 35 but not feeling anywhere near close to Tetris 99.

The problem is pacing - Tetris has a good ebb and flow, tension and release that keeps things interesting and small mistakes are not punished immediately.

This is just fast all of the time, and Mario was too slow. It doesn't leave much time for strategy.

Still this does mean games are over really quickly!

13 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's better than Mario 35 but not feeling anywhere near close to Tetris 99.

The problem is pacing - Tetris has a good ebb and flow, tension and release that keeps things interesting and small mistakes are not punished immediately.

This is just fast all of the time, and Mario was too slow. It doesn't leave much time for strategy.

Still this does mean games are over really quickly!

This is kinda how I feel at the moment. Tetris 99 builds of slowly.  The games can often last several minutes. This, well it can be over pretty quick! Well, i guess till people get good.

My top tip is to play traditionally. That is get all dots before picking up the fruit (this gives you a permanent speed boost). Also keep the selection on 'speed' as you'll move faster from a power pill and then switch to 'train' when you eat the ghost train.

Won two games back to back with this setup.

You can target a player in the other 98 directly by highlighting their square, but mostly you will use the defaults. Random is as described. Counter targets anyone targeting you. KO targets those in the most danger. The other on targets the players who have the most badges.

Style is a mystery to me.

Rank is an indication of games played rather than skill. You gain some exp every game, so don't concern yourself with it to any degree.

I must say, I do find it frustrating that style doesn't appear to be explained anywhere. I feel a bit like I'm playing with one hand tied behind my back. 

Should probably just chill out and enjoy myself but letting shit slide is not one of my strong points :lol:

Edit: Actually, it's just occurred to me that if I hadn't watched the trailer I literally wouldn't have a clue what's going on. 

Standard, Stronger, Train, and Speed explained here. I imagine there's a lot of power to be had by flicking to the right one at the right moment, but it does feel a bit faffy. :)

I'm enjoying this - definitely has 'just one more go'. Remains to be seen how long that lasts with just the one maze.

I think back to a local pub twenty years,or so ago, that had a Pac-Man Co-Op. I never used to go in regularly as it was a bit far away and also in a bit of an RAF district. However, it was the only place locally to show Blackburn Rovers matches during our League Cup triumph run. Nowhere else in the local area could get ITV Digital, I don’t think we even had channel 5 back then... 

(Topless darts was just a myth back then). 

At half time and full time I’d sink a few quids in and have a blast....

Never really played it before and since. 

Pac-Man always provokes those happy flash back moments for me. But, I was shit at it then and shit at it now. 

But I’m still having a blast :) 

A couple of questions:

Does it make any difference how many ghosts over a continuous power pill run you gobble?

I think I got the counter to about 80 one time. Would it dispatch those 80 all at once to some hapless soul? Or do they go in batches and the 80 is just a vanity score?

What are the up/down arrows that briefly flash up on the maze at about 40-50 players left?