• three1ne changed the title to NowTV is Piss

I subbed to NowTV for a while and I did get a lot out of things like the Sky Arts channel, but yeah, for watching anything else it was astonishingly poor. I used to download stuff I had access to just for better quality.

15 minutes ago, three1ne said:

May be I could pay an extra £3 for a boost to an almight 1080 stream

The 1080p stream is fine on a 50 inch TV at 3m, at least for movies.

As a returner, I ended up paying £5 special deal + £3 for just movies for a month. My wife got to watch Justice League and we've also watch some films that aren't four hours of garbage.  Will be cancelled after a month mind.

38 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Sky Arts, Atlantic and Docs have more interesting shows.

32 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I subbed to NowTV for a while and I did get a lot out of things like the Sky Arts channel, but yeah, for watching anything else it was astonishingly poor. I used to download stuff I had access to just for better quality.

Sky Arts is on Freeview now.

I had a sub to the Entertainment pass when I was with Vodafone but the only thing I ever watched was Last Week Tonight.

My wife used to watch loads of Sky Atlantic stuff like Grey's Anatomy and the like. 

But, yeah. 720P and only stereo sound is proper shite in 2021! 

I've finally got no subscriptions with it. Even offers can't keep me around. I bailed halfway through a cheap Entertainment deal, despite having not finished all of Stargate Atlantis yet. It's shite. It's so pixelated even on boost that they all look like they're on fucking crimewatch. 

The good bits of John Oliver end up on YouTube faster than on Now TV anyway. 

2 hours ago, three1ne said:

I've just got a free 7 day pass so I can watch Justice League.

The streaming quality is piss. Laughably bad. Especially considering this is the only way to watch this. It's below 720 by the looks of it and more importantly the bit rate looks incredibly low.

May be I could pay an extra £3 for a boost to an almighty 1080 stream. What a joke.

You can get a 7 day trial of Boost, which is what I did for Justice League, although I'm not sure you can if you've already started standard trial. There's no way I'd actually pay that much a month for the service though. I could understand them charging more for 4K, but not for 1080p!

16 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Whu do they keep pretending it's not Sky?

I find that pretty weird too. Also, “it’s on Now” isn’t exactly the clearest branding. 

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

But, yeah. 720P and only stereo sound is proper shite in 2021! 

When the majority of their user base watch SD channels on their 4K TV, with 4:3 stretched to 16:9, and motion smoothing on, you can see why they don’t care.

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

Whu do they keep pretending it's not Sky?

Presumably as soon as they change its name to Sky, then a load of people will realise they don’t need to be tied into long contracts with continual price rises. And along with that I assume that Sky need to keep a certain number of subscribers on board for the economics of keeping the infrastructure going. 

Rebranding it as Now is the stupidest thing. Abbott and Costello level stuff. 

I usually sign up for a month or two for specific things. The quality is terrible, 720p ffs. 

Timely thread. They've had me on the Entertainment pass for £1.60 a month for the last six months and I've just seen that they're about to charge me £9.99 this month. Time to sever.

It's the App's themselves that get me, Now TV's isn't great and it's clunky to find shows on (similar level to Disney), Netflix is just light-years ahead in usability. Don't even bother with Funimation - 1 in 10 attempts to load something would work with the odd episode just never loading. Crunchyroll is a tiny bit better but still inconsistant.

Oh and I hate Disney's lack of continuing onto the next episode, boils my piss. 

36 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Oh and I hate Disney's lack of continuing onto the next episode, boils my piss. 

Does that on my TV app...

47 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Does that on my TV app...

Using the PS4 app, after some investigation it will do it but not from your continue watching or recommended.

Now TV really is shocking value - it’s like £20 a month to have Films and TV in sub hd quality, and they didn’t have subtitles for the longest time. 

my mum loves it though and shares my account so I can’t cancel it. Parents, eh?

My husband is a non-native English speaker and we always watch stuff with the subtitles on, and Now TV has hands down the most inaccurate and poorly timed/synced subtitles of all the major streaming services. 

I really hate them for all the reasons outlined above, but also just wanted to contribute something else to the big list of reasons why they suck. 

All the apps have issues. Disney+ is flakey as hell on my 2016 Samsung TV (it only just got the ability to show 4K and HDR, and still crashes regularly booting up). Amazon Prime has the worst discoverability of any app ever built, it's still "recommending for me" stuff I watched in its entirety two years ago and finding stuff on it is a nightmare. Netflix is generally OK but its subtitles in HDR are brighter than the surface of the sun. None of them are perfect.

No idea about NOW TV though, fuck Rupert Murdoch, never giving that cunt any cash.

21 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

All the apps have issues. Disney+ is flakey as hell on my 2016 Samsung TV (it only just got the ability to show 4K and HDR, and still crashes regularly booting up). Amazon Prime has the worst discoverability of any app ever built, it's still "recommending for me" stuff I watched in its entirety two years ago and finding stuff on it is a nightmare. Netflix is generally OK but its subtitles in HDR are brighter than the surface of the sun. None of them are perfect.

No idea about NOW TV though, fuck Rupert Murdoch, never giving that cunt any cash.

Murdoch doesn’t own Sky these days.

It feels like they're setting themselves up to fail. The classic old school business dabbling in the future whilst they're getting overtaken. They think  having a streaming platform regardless of it's quality but it'll fail eventually unless they change.

As it stands it works well enough because they still have enough money to compete and buy content people "need" (sport, movies, HBO stuff). But at some point a combination of things will kill their model:

• the successful streaming platforms will really flex their cash and compete for the things Sky buys, and 
  • the owners of the content launching their own platforms to sell to the customer

I investigated NowTV just so that I could watch Chernobyl and noticed it was only available in 720p so thought fuck it and ordered the French Blu-Ray instead and never looked back. 

It doesn't surprise me it is still 720p

6 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

It feels like they're setting themselves up to fail. The classic old school business dabbling in the future whilst they're getting overtaken. They think  having a streaming platform regardless of it's quality but it'll fail eventually unless they change.

As it stands it works well enough because they still have enough money to compete and buy content people "need" (sport, movies, HBO stuff). But at some point a combination of things will kill their model:

• the successful streaming platforms will really flex their cash and compete for the things Sky buys, and 
  • the owners of the content launching their own platforms to sell to the customer

Yes, Sky are heavily reliant on Sports rights. As a fan of F1 I am a Sky TV customer primarily for that reason (although I like the Sky Q interface and it gets rights to some decent programmes before other UK broadcasters) and as such if they lose key sports rights there are a lot of people like myself would start to look at the monthly bill and wonder if it is really worth while. 

As it is, the bill has crept up over the years so I will have to have a concerted negotiation effort next time my contract is up.