Why is there no thread lol? Watched this last night. I give it 4 stars which means it's actually a 5 star film! (I've never rated a film 5 stars, apart from Terminator 2 but that's just because I was a naïve teenager at the time) 

Pretty sure it will be my film of the year already. Hopkins is 100% getting an Oscar here, he's insanely perfect in this role that was clearly made for him. 

The set work is also the other huge standout here in how it's used to help push the story to another level, helping to push it away from being a stale 'stage play film'.

Warning, it's especially a tough film to watch if dementia is currently close to your heart.

It's very good, but absolutely heartbreaking. To be honest watching it sent me into a bit of a depressive hole this week, having lost my elderly parents not that long ago. Tread carefully if you've first-hand experience of a family member with Alzheimer's, or even just caring for an elderly relative.

Hopkins and Coleman are superb.

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

Why is nobody talking about this?! yet Godzilla vs KingKong is on page 8 now. 

You can watch most Drama's and you'll gain an insight into somebody's life or a situation that you previously knew very little about and it'll be interesting - then after it's over you can think "wow, thank god it's not me". This on the other hand probably hits too close to home for most; I know I don't want to be depressed and thinking about worst parts of my Grandparent's lives and I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.

I'll watch this eventually but it's not exactly casual Saturday night viewing.

Just Watch (which is fantastic app, I’m not sure how widely known it is) tells me that it’s unavailable for streaming anywhere. 

Presumably they’re waiting for cinemas to reopen before putting it on release in the U.K.

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

Just Watch (which is fantastic app, I’m not sure how widely known it is) tells me that it’s unavailable for streaming anywhere. 

Presumably they’re waiting for cinemas to reopen before putting it on release in the U.K.

Yaaar!

Pirating stuff is so 2001. ;)

I do have access to what is euphemistically called Chinese Netflix in my house, I guess if it pops up... I do like the idea of a proper 10/10 movie waiting for me at the cinema next month though. 

I went to the cinema to see this last night, it's an absolutely brilliant film. I am thankful I don't have an experience of Alzheimer's close to home, I can only imagine how difficult it would be, and how painful it would be to relive that experience through this film.

As a piece of work it really captures the confusion, the loss of sense of time and place and people, the loss of the threads of a life. It's profoundly moving, exceptionally acted, and without doubt deserving of the highest accolades.

I'm not sure I'd watch it again.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a tough and heartbreaking watch, but utterly brilliant. It's depiction of dementia is so well done, even to the point that it has you as the audience feeling confused and unsure with the events going on around Anthony. There's so many layers to this, especially surrounding a couple of reoccurring characters.

I genuinly think this is the best thing I've ever seen Anthony Hopkins do too, he was outstanding. His ability to shift the character's emotional state on the spot was just masterful and I can totally see him winning the Oscar for this role. Olivia Coleman was also really great and fully deserving of her plaudits too.

The ending just killed me and made me cry. What a great film, its gone straight to my number one spot for the year.

5/5

Still can't believe this is on the first page still and before you say 'but this isn't out yet!' neither is the new Mortal Kombat film and that's on it's THIRD page already. 

on a videogame forum that is a puzzler.

As for the film, it isn't out yet. I know "yaarr" but many can't be arsed with that now that we have streaming services. It is a fact that making media available conveniently and legitimately stops people from bothering with the faff of yarrr. I stopped yarring tv and movies a few years ago once Netflix and Prime took off and I wouldn't even have a clue where to start in yarring stuff.

Saying that now that media is splintering into many streaming services I may well go back. I have Netflix and Prime but now there is Disney+ and AppleTv and NowTV all vying so I  want to see Chernobyl but can't and ditto for other stuff on AppleTV.

18 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Honestly the Oscars this year is just a list of films I haven't seen or been able to see, this last 18 months if it's not on streaming it might as well not exist.

Minari - Available to rent on Amazon now.

Judas and the Black Messiah - Available to rent on Amazon now. 

Sound of Metal - On Amazon Prime now.

Promising Young Woman - Available on Sky/NOW.... now

Nomadland - Coming to Disney+ April 30th

Trial of the Chicago Seven - On Netflix now.

Mank - On Netflix now.

In fact the only one I can't find from the Best Picture noms is The Father. There's some word of it releasing in June but it's impossible to know if that'll actually happen what with the old pandemic. 

There is a perfectly example... so watch those I need to buy 4 subs to various services and rent two of them... I can't rent all of them so cant decide on one off basis I have to sub to 4 different sservices to be able to choose.

Obviously cinema isnt up and running but I think they should ensure all can be rented one off so it does replicate the cinema better in terms of choice...

The fragmentation will lead to more piracy I think as convenience is lost.

On 23/04/2021 at 03:04, Capwn said:

Still can't believe this is on the first page still and before you say 'but this isn't out yet!' neither is the new Mortal Kombat film and that's on it's THIRD page already. 

To be fair, that's at least partly because some clown piled in with a "popcorn movies vs worthy cinéma" debate and derailed it for a page or two.

2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

When is it legally out in the UK, and how is it being released?

June 11

It's currently on Apple TV, Prime Video, Google Play, Youtube in the US so will likely be those for the UK too.

On 23/04/2021 at 01:15, Stigweard said:

I genuinly think this is the best thing I've ever seen Anthony Hopkins do too, he was outstanding.

Yeah, I don't think it's under-selling it at all to say that objectively this is his best ever performance.

From the little moments where he's at ease in his flat but you can see his mind constantly wandering and "re-setting" - like when he's putting the shopping away - to the scenes where he's close to tears in his confusion, to the big showy blow-ups when his anger and vindictiveness come out, there's not a single moment where he isn't 100% authentic. I'd be interested to know just how much research he did for this with real sufferers.

8 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Honestly the Oscars this year is just a list of films I haven't seen or been able to see, this last 18 months if it's not on streaming it might as well not exist.

It amazes me how many people on here don't just torrent stuff, where it's come to the point where they 'might as well not exist?'

For any indie film that allowed you to pay for a download, i would do that at a reasonable price. I never rewatch anything except as in the background so have never bought dvds or blu rays.

3 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

It amazes me how many people on here don't just torrent stuff, where it's come to the point where they 'might as well not exist?'

For any indie film that allowed you to pay for a download, i would do that at a reasonable price. I never rewatch anything except as in the background so have never bought dvds or blu rays.

Probably because it’s a shitty thing to do

1 hour ago, QuackQuack said:

Probably because it’s a shitty thing to do

Watching a film people have made is a shitty thing to do? What a bizarre thing to say. Everyone who made the film will want as many people as possible to watch it. I don’t go to the cinema much, i prefer watching at home, with subtitles and in more comfort, so was never seeing this at the cinema. 

On 10/04/2021 at 20:41, PK said:

It's very good, but absolutely heartbreaking. To be honest watching it sent me into a bit of a depressive hole this week, having lost my elderly parents not that long ago. Tread carefully if you've first-hand experience of a family member with Alzheimer's, or even just caring for an elderly relative.

Hopkins and Coleman are superb.

just the trailer tells me I’m very unlikely to watch it: I can recognise every beat.

I don't think it's especially important to know exactly what was going on, because the point is you can't be sure, but the way I interpreted it was...

Spoiler

Rufus Sewell was the husband she divorced before going on to meet someone in Paris. Presumably he left because he was selfish and found the whole situation unbearable. I think he actually struck him at one point, but who knows for sure. Nearer the beginning he's confused with Mark Gatiss who is actually a doctor at the care home. The carer Laura was being confused with his other daughter Lucy, who died in a car accident, and was actually the Olivia Williams' character. I don't know if Olivia Williams is meant to be the same carer he has at the care home, but it's possibly more confusion, blurring the two together.

It made me think of Dark Souls' time is convoluted concept, with different periods phasing in and out and overlapping.

Anyway, it's pretty harrowing. Nothing has really hit me in the guts like this since Grave of the Fireflies and that's an animation. I really liked it though, clever and compelling, but yeah, not something I'd want to watch again in a hurry. I live with my elderly father and whilst he seems to have retained his cognition for the most part, his age has certainly caught up with him in the last year especially and it's pretty scary to think what the future might hold.

Btw, I'm sure it's been posted before, but I like this video about Hopkins. He makes this stuff seem effortless.