Skyrim is a buggy piece of crap...should I persist

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

Nah. I spent hundreds of hours on BOTW and was still discovering new and interesting stuff by the end.

What kind of stuff? For me the things I discovered were almost always an interesting piece of terrain, or a korok puzzle. The joy of the game for me was often in finding some natural beauty or somewhere fun to climb or slide down.

What I mean more is that Skyrim (which definitely has too many copy and paste caves full of Draugr) has some neat and unique moments of environmental storytelling that I’m still discovering years later. From the house that seems normal but houses a drug den that is actually a secret front for vampires, to the house that fell off a cliff into a valley with an amusing note hidden in it, to the place I found a few weeks ago that I’d never seen before that looked like it used to be an inn or brothel but was absolutely full of Falmer who had for some reason ventured above ground and all the patrons were dead. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Have you played before? If not why would you start with mods?

I think that's what's pulling my leg about this thread - throwing mods into a game you haven't played is like eyeballing flour for a cake that you don't have a recipe to.

Just play the game in vanilla. If you think it's fun but there's something lacking, add a mod. If you don't like it, then... stop, dude.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

It's not a good game.

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:

Wow. Woah.

No no, Lovely man is right, Skyrim is not a good game. It's a transcendent game of sheer brilliance, the like of which is rarely seen in the industry. :)

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

What kind of stuff? For me the things I discovered were almost always an interesting piece of terrain, or a korok puzzle. The joy of the game for me was often in finding some natural beauty or somewhere fun to climb or slide down.

What I mean more is that Skyrim (which definitely has too many copy and paste caves full of Draugr) has some neat and unique moments of environmental storytelling that I’m still discovering years later. From the house that seems normal but houses a drug den that is actually a secret front for vampires, to the house that fell off a cliff into a valley with an amusing note hidden in it, to the place I found a few weeks ago that I’d never seen before that looked like it used to be an inn or brothel but was absolutely full of Falmer who had for some reason ventured above ground and all the patrons were dead. 

Yeah, it wasn’t the really the environmental storytelling with BOTW, as you say it was the interesting variations in landscape that’d continually catch my attention, but hidden within those areas there’s always be some new puzzle to work out. It felt like a fully condensed world with different things to do around every corner.

I loved Skyrim back when I played it, but it’s a very different game.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Yeah, it wasn’t the really the environmental storytelling with BOTW, as you say it was the interesting variations in landscape that’d continually catch my attention, but hidden within those areas there’s always be some new puzzle to work out. It felt like a fully condensed world with different things to do around every corner.

I loved Skyrim back when I played it, but it’s a very different game.

Absolutely, I never meant to imply that BOTW wasn't one of the greatest games of this generation, just that it's not a great substitute for Skyrim if you're looking for something else similar.

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Playing it recently, it’s definitely feeling old. But there’s no replacement. Nothing really does what Skyrim is doing so people continue to go back to it. 

Witcher 3 also has a shit story, the difference is that it’s crammed constantly down your throat by cutscenes. Aside from superficial fantasy stuff, I don’t think Witcher has any more in common with skyrim than GTA does. 

BOTW has some exploration that feels good, but there’s little to discover that you won’t have seen in the first few hours. Playing Skyrim recently I stumbled upon a few unique places with fun designs or unusual environmental storytelling that I haven’t seen before in ten years playing it. Zelda also has no RPG systems and doesn’t have the same level of immersion into your character as you’re playing a pre designed hero you can see the whole time. 

There’s just nothing quite like Skyrim.

Have you played before? If not why would you start with mods?

The mods I used are the top ones from the mod site Nexus - and after hours reading apparently these were 'essential'https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/essential_mods

Also after 3 hours in I have found out how to sprint, but not how to hotkey different weapon sets

Now I think I need another mod just for that https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/essential_mods    - how the fuck you cant make hotkeys to switch sets/magic is beyond me - unless I am doing something wrong? If I cant toggle different sets then I have to manually set them every enemy?

I want to use arrows far, switcht to say sword /shield then switch to magic/healing/fireball  and then back to sword shield - this is taking me to manually change all the time in battle. It did not matter the first 3 hours since could just slash anything and had no skills, now I have spells -shout and items its hard to balance. I will delete the game probably if I cant hotkey instantly - or just choose one weapon set?

BOTW is more zen, the silence and the emptiness of the map somehow benefits the game. In that sense it feels more mature.

In Skyrim it is like the devs think I have ADHD 

2 hours ago, cantonarv said:

The mods I used are the top ones from the mod site Nexus - and after hours reading apparently these were 'essential'https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/essential_mods

Also after 3 hours in I have found out how to sprint, but not how to hotkey different weapon sets

Now I think I need another mod just for that https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/essential_mods    - how the fuck you cant make hotkeys to switch sets/magic is beyond me - unless I am doing something wrong? If I cant toggle different sets then I have to manually set them every enemy?

I want to use arrows far, switcht to say sword /shield then switch to magic/healing/fireball  and then back to sword shield - this is taking me to manually change all the time in battle. It did not matter the first 3 hours since could just slash anything and had no skills, now I have spells -shout and items its hard to balance. I will delete the game probably if I cant hotkey instantly - or just choose one weapon set?

I would question how “essential” anything is. Even the bug fixes I sometimes avoid as there’s some bugs that are charming or that you can exploit for your own benefit. 

I’d always recommend playing the vanilla version of a game to see what mods you personally want, rather than listening to a list. The only exception is where older games won’t run at modern screen resolutions. 

With the gear, I’d just pick one thing. The best way to play is to pick something for each hand, and generally stick with that. If you’re mostly using melee weapons don’t bother about a ranged option, just close that distance and get chopping. If you’re going ranged try to stay hidden and take out as many people as possible with your bow without being seen. Slamming arrows into their face point blank is surprisingly effective. Magic isn’t great as an offensive option. 

Often I’ll either go for a two handed weapon only, one handed and shield, one handed and restoration, or just a bow. One of the reasons I’m not as fond of the stealth build as a lot of people seem to be is because I don’t like switching between my bow and a dagger. No matter what you do to the inventory the game still wasn’t well designed for switching gear a lot, so it’s much more enjoyable to just pick one type of armour, one type of weapon and one type of healing and stick with them. 

I have my Skyrim set up perfectly*, but we're talking at least 2,000 hours of modding and testing going back to 2014, and even learning how to write mods myself, in order to get here.

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a lot of fun, but could have probably done something better with my time.

* Really. It's fucking mint. It's precisely how I'd design an Elder Scrolls game myself if I were in the director's chair.

6 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I have my Skyrim set up perfectly*, but we're talking at least 2,000 hours of modding and testing going back to 2014, and even learning how to write mods myself, in order to get here.

I wouldn't recommend it. I had a lot of fun, but could have probably done something better with my time.

* Really. It's fucking mint. It's precisely how I'd design an Elder Scrolls game myself if I were in the director's chair.

Did you solve the hotkey issue?  And what is the point of daggers? I just use the highest damage weapon and it seems like the worst ?

Still think the atmosphere of the world map itself is unsurpassed. The sense of place; the verticality of the mountains, the clouds in the distance, the foggy mornings, the rainy afternoons, the snow storms, the deep valleys with streams running through them and the lakes surrounded by trees with light glinting through the leaves.

It's like yeah, there are technically larger, better looking game worlds now and yeah, the characters and animations aren't up to the same standard as the environment, but I actually enjoy wandering around Skyrim more than any of its more recent contemporaries. I've never come anywhere close to finishing a single quest line on any console, and just don't care. It's a great world.

I've never understood the appeal of any of the Fallout games because the maps are so ugly and repetitive by comparison. BOTW and RDR2 come close in terms of atmosphere but third person games are less immersive.

17 minutes ago, cantonarv said:

Did you solve the hotkey issue?  And what is the point of daggers? I just use the highest damage weapon and it seems like the worst ?

Daggers are for stealth. The three main weapon types vary in damage and swing speed (swords do least damage but swing fastest, hammers/maces do most damage but swing slow, axes are medium on both).  Daggers do very low damage but swing very quickly, but they also make less noise so you’re less likely to be discovered when using them. In addition there’s a stealth perk that increases one handed damage by 6x if you’re hidden, and another that increases dagger damage by 15x.

If you stack perks, a dagger can technically do the most damage in a single hit of any weapon in the game.

4 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Still think the atmosphere of the world map itself is unsurpassed. The sense of place, the verticality, the clouds in the distance, the foggy mornings, the rainy afternoons, the snow storms, the deep valleys with streams running through them and the lakes surrounded by trees with light glinting through the leaves.

It's like yeah, there are technically larger, better looking game worlds now and yeah, the characters and animations aren't up to the same standard as the environment, but I actually enjoy wandering around Skyrim more than any of its more recent contemporaries. I've never come anywhere close to finishing a single quest line on any console, and just don't care. It's a great world.

I've never understood the appeal of any of the Fallout games because the maps are so ugly and repetitive by comparison.

This is the correct opinion. I can't stand the Fallout games because they're so depressing but there's nothing like just randomly exploring in Skyrim with no active quest, just seeing what kind of mischief you can get into and what kind of treasure you can discover.

It has, however, aged, and I downloaded the remaster for PS4 back in the day and played it for about 20 minutes before sacking it off. Many of my favorite gaming moments took place in Skyrim but I don't need to play it ever again.

The memes are still relevant and golden however

31 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I cant use SkyUI Lib its bugs me out so any mods depending on that are out like that hotkey one - i looked at the screenshots its exactly what i wanted. How can you play it on console if you cant do anything like that!!

I like the look of the other mod - 50% arrow speed looks great - im currently using this https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24296 

Skyrim is a superb game. Talk about comfort gaming, this is it! 

I love the chunky combat and just perusing through the world stumbling onto all sorts of things. I. Love. it. 

Witcher 3 is also incredible, but completely different. It's more similar to the Bioware stuff like Mass Effect I feel, just with an open world design. 

Botw is also incredible, but completely different. It's a chilled out zen experience that's also a super fun combat sandbox with loads of toys and options. 

They're all different! They're all great! I like videogames!

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

It has, however, aged, and I downloaded the remaster for PS4 back in the day and played it for about 20 minutes before sacking it off. Many of my favorite gaming moments took place in Skyrim but I don't need to play it ever again.

The Special Edition shouldn't really be called a remaster at all as it was such a 0.2%-arsed effort. The best thing to come out of it was 64-bit support for the PC platform, which offered slightly more stability and more stuff happening at one time. Proper big civil war battles were finally possible (with mods).

There's a next-gen experience to be had here if you can be bothered remastering it yourself.

Skyrim is probably my favourite game ever. It’s how I envisioned gaming to one day be when I was a little kid and seeing castles and fantasy landscapes as a mess of pixels. There’s so much to do, and so much to discover, I just love it. I don’t get the criticism of it looking old. I play the Switch version on my TV and it still looks great, the vast sprawling mountains, the individual cities, that score...it’s just so atmospheric. I think there’s little to compare it to as a video game, for me Shenmue is probably the closest. 

For me I like an open world RPG to be free of cutscenes etc, I don’t want my character to have a backstory, a defined personality, or history etc. I want to be in control of a faceless avatar which I can implement my own self onto. I want my character to be my vessel into this virtual world. I get on less with the Witcher 3 or BOTW because I feel less involved and connected with the world if I’m playing through the lens and story of a  set character. I feel more of a passenger. 

When I play Skyrim though, I can really feel that’s me exploring those ruins and slaughtering bandits. That’s how I’ve always  wanted gaming to be. Of course I know lots of gamers want a detailed story and a defined character to play as which is why Skyrim doesn’t appeal to everyone. 

I’m hoping that there will be an S/X enhanced version in the near future. Fingers crossed. I need a good excuse to jump back in as the next game must still be a few years away. 

I also feel like I should get back into Oblivion. But the thought of grinding through those gates does put me off. 

4 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Worst combat in a game ever. Plus it's been backwards since Morrowind...

Someone hasn't shot a bow in VR. :coffee:

4 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

I’m hoping that there will be an S/X enhanced version in the near future. Fingers crossed. I need a good excuse to jump back in as the next game must still be a few years away.

I honestly wouldn't wait for Bethesda to 'enhance' anything. I think they just announced a 60FPS boost for it? Wow... Thanks! My laptop was pushing 60FPS Skyrim back in 2012. 

You sound passionate enough to reap the benefits of giving this a modding on the PC. Yes, I'm aware that the Xbox can handle some mods, but just ask anyone that's jumped from the console versions to the PC. It's such a staggering contrast. There's no going back at all. If it's indeed your favourite game of all time then a small-form PC would have you set up for life. You wouldn't even need to go all-in to get started (like I did). A handful of the essential improvements/fixes and a 4K texture pack and you'd be all set. It wouldn't even require that hefty a machine. Although now is probably the worst time to be looking for a cheap second-hand GPU...

I hated the X360 version for loads of reasons, but then after making some fixes and adjustments on the PC version it became one of my favourites, too. To be honest just having the command console to make fixes on the fly would have been reason enough back then.

On 01/04/2021 at 16:02, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Oblivion has better missions  (  if missions is the correct term? )

Quests. I think it’s a tough one, Oblivion’s high points are better than anything in Skyrim, but it’s low pints are far worse. 

Is this the same game that was on the Xbox 360? Wanted to like it, in the end got pissed off with having to pause the game mid-battle to sod around with inventory items to get through a battle. I vaguely remember getting to a top of a mountain with some monks and a talking dragon or something, and then a battle thereafter, but a lot of pausing the game and swapping weapons etc. to get through it. Then traded it in.

to the OP - give up now

On 01/04/2021 at 22:26, Fallows said:

I honestly wouldn't wait for Bethesda to 'enhance' anything. I think they just announced a 60FPS boost for it? Wow... Thanks! My laptop was pushing 60FPS Skyrim back in 2012. 

You sound passionate enough to reap the benefits of giving this a modding on the PC. Yes, I'm aware that the Xbox can handle some mods, but just ask anyone that's jumped from the console versions to the PC. It's such a staggering contrast. There's no going back at all. If it's indeed your favourite game of all time then a small-form PC would have you set up for life. You wouldn't even need to go all-in to get started (like I did). A handful of the essential improvements/fixes and a 4K texture pack and you'd be all set. It wouldn't even require that hefty a machine. Although now is probably the worst time to be looking for a cheap second-hand GPU...

I hated the X360 version for loads of reasons, but then after making some fixes and adjustments on the PC version it became one of my favourites, too. To be honest just having the command console to make fixes on the fly would have been reason enough back then.

Thanks for the recommendation. Don’t have a PC unfortunately and I’m so useless at computer tech that even basic modding would be go waaay over my head. I tried some of the mods recommended on here for the xbone version back in the day which did tidy things up and got rid of a major bug. 

Switch Skyrim is how I get my hit, it may not look the best but the world of Skyrim in my hands still feels like some futuristic shit.