Are you spending a fortune on retro games during lockdown?

I bought a Gamecube ODE, Everdrives, MiSTER addons, A box of 4 Super Famicoms to repair, a US SNES Jr, a US NES Toploader, a NES RGB kit and assorted cables.

And a Sega Aero City and some games.

So yeah, out of control!

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

That said, I’m all about playing the games, not collecting the packaging, which seems to be where the real expenditure is at. 

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

MiSTer.

Never buy anything again.

Incidentally, I've barely bought any retro games since lockdown began - however, in February of last year (shortly before the first lockdown) I bought my first modern retro handheld game player* - an RS97. So it's provided a good excuse to revisit older games in a more convenient way. :) 

*with the exception of things like PSP and Vita mods

The Mister is great and all, for what it does, but it is getting a bit "Install Linux problem solved" with people divebombing unrelated threads everywhere on the internet.

3 hours ago, christaylor said:

Would be interesting to see how all of this data was compiled. I'd imagine the vast majority of these types of purchases are just private 2nd hand sales so where are they getting the data from? Completed ebay listings? 

Ebay and another website that I can't remember off the top of my head!

I stopped collecting ZX Spectrum games quite a few years ago but 11 months ago out of sheer boredom I decide to try and collect all of Codemasters’ ZX Spectrum releases. 

Even though I was a Spectrum collector for quite a few years and I’ve got a reasonably large collection, I found I only had 2 Codemasters games. There’s a total 111 games, 14 Quattro releases and 5 or so large box compilations. I decided I wouldn’t bother with the large box compilations but I may change my mind. 

Y’know, I thought it’d be relatively easy and inexpensive but I’ve been proved wrong. So, here I am 11 months into it. I managed to compete the 14 Quattro releases just at the beginning of the year and I’ve my 103rd - Soccer Pinball - out of the 111 on the way. There’s 15 or so of those games that only turn up every now and then and they’re all expensive. Most of these were £2.99 when they were released. I paid £70 for Soccer Pinball. It’s looking like I’ll have to spend around £800 for those remaining 8 titles. I don’t even want to work out how much I’ve already spent on this Codemasters collection.

They look good but.

Yeah I think you have to choose a focus.

I decided to collect all the games released in the UK for the Master System.  I've been very careful with that phrasing because it excludes variants and allows me to buy the incredibly rare Card only Great Soccer* from Japan where it's a third of the price of the UK one.  Still it's a job to get all 267 (At 254 with 2 on the way). And like you, it's the expensive ones left, other than the expensive ones I was lucky enough to buy cheap last millennium.

Every other machines it's the classics or something interesting only.

* You might see a cart called Great Soccer. That's because the incredibly common UK game World Soccer was released as Great Soccer in the USA and is totally separate to the Great Soccer in the UK and Japan because fuck you.

I'm with Colonel Panic on this - so out of control. I don't even want to count it up....

Gamecube ODE... check.

However, I went a bit 8bit crazy... it all started when I picked up a Memotech MTX512 in October (bit of a dream find, I always lusted after one and it was reasonably priced around - 100 quid), it had no PSU so I had to build one (parts were quite expensive, so probably as much as the machine itself). Didn't have any manuals, so two manuals and a book, 50 quid. Then I needed a mass storage device, to make the most of the system, 60 quid.

It sparked some interest in other Z80/ TI-based gfx machines. Phillips VG 8020 MSX machine, 50 euros, mass storage + ram expansion 40 euros, video and tape cables 25 euros.

Just this week, a bit of a holy grail for me, a Tatung Einstein 256 - 200 quid. Need to pick it up when I next get back to the UK. Will probably need a gotek, or similar and definitely need a power supply/scart cable, as the machine has an odd video power combo because it is supposed to have a monitor.

Then a 1541 disc drive to transfer some disks to my Ultimate 64 (may resell) - 50 quid.

Frightening..

So will prices take a massive drop after covid? Once everyone realises their investments are just sitting there or they are bored of what they bought? Shenmue raised to about £80 pre shenmue 3 but now is back to £20 again after release, will the same happen here do you think?

It's happening, Power Strike 2 is the most expensive UK SMS game and that's been going for about £300 for the last year.

There's one in perfect condition on at £250 that's not selling and I just got a £25 off offer through for.

I was going to say no but then I realised I've spent quite a bit on a Mister set up, I've ordered a Spectrum Next on Kickstarter, an N64 Everdrive and am now looking into an HDMI upgrade for my 64. So maybe I should say yes.

On 05/04/2021 at 17:25, Ketchup said:

So will prices take a massive drop after covid? Once everyone realises their investments are just sitting there or they are bored of what they bought? Shenmue raised to about £80 pre shenmue 3 but now is back to £20 again after release, will the same happen here do you think?

I would have thought there will be a drop but probably not back to pre-covid prices as many of these are being bought by people collecting as well as people wanting to play them for nostalgic reasons so by default there would be less available as they will be stocked up somewhere.

Least that's how I see it anyways and could be completely wrong :D

No. I spent around 50 quid last year and that was mainly on cheap PS3 games that a local store was clearing out. If you don't count the PS3 as retro the only games I bought were US NTSC versions of the PS1 games Soul Blade and Soul of the Samurai for £5 and £10 respectively.  

I'd already spent a fair amount on games over lockdown, not in huge chunks, just a steady stream of £40 - £100 amounts on games I'd been wanting in my collection. 

I had a moment of madness on the Analogue store on Friday though, and splashed out on a Super NT and an NT Mini Noir. I felt a bit sick afterwards, it's probably the most I've ever spent in one go on something that wasn't a car. 

If anyone wants to ease my burden, my Retro USB AVS is now up on Ebay. :lol:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=144004909470&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

I've probably been spending a bit more, but I've stuck to my criteria of only really buying games that I have some personal connection to, that have nice, substantial packaging (so nothing that's a largely empty box with a pamphlet of a manual and a couple of floppy disks), and where they aren't some absolutely ridiculous price (i.e. anything that costs more than a new PS4 game). To be honest, it's been fairly hard resisting sometimes as I've been bored on eBay after a glass of wine, but I haven't bought anything I regret.

I found Exile on the BBC Micro in reasonable condition for £25 the other day - that was quite satisfying given that it's generally listed with a preposterous buy it now price.

48 minutes ago, JamesC said:

I'd already spent a fair amount on games over lockdown, not in huge chunks, just a steady stream of £40 - £100 amounts on games I'd been wanting in my collection. 

I had a moment of madness on the Analogue store on Friday though, and splashed out on a Super NT and an NT Mini Noir. I felt a bit sick afterwards, it's probably the most I've ever spent in one go on something that wasn't a car. 

If anyone wants to ease my burden, my Retro USB AVS is now up on Ebay. :lol:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=144004909470&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

"Works with some UK carts"

What's going on with this one? :)

Me at the beginning of the pandemic: well, as I won't be going out anywhere any more, I can spend some time getting through the millions of games and films I own and save a bit of money.

Me a couple of months later: Right, I need to stop buying all these games and films wtf.

Me now: Right, I need to stop buying all these games and films wtf.

Yes, but not in the regular way - I've picked up a bunch of busted Dreamcasts and Saturns with the intention of fixing them and doing them up with new PSUs and stuff like that. So far I've only broken one Saturn, but fortunately someone far more talented than me has taken it off my hands and can fix it, so nothing's been wasted. Phew.

If I make some of the money back: bonus! Plus I'm getting better at soldering, which is nice.

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Where does it say that? Have I made a boo boo? 

On the site for the device.

image.png.1acb83d278dffc822c47755ce3845b21.png

"Compatible with many" tells me "Is not compatible with more than many" but is that accurate on their part?

I've never seen that caveat before, I think the manual just says it's PAL compatible. 

I've never had a game not work on it. I thought I had a problem with Firehawk, which is an unlicensed game, but then I manually changed the region setting to PAL and it worked fine. 

There was some noise over some old firmware updates that they might have briefly broken something so maybe the site got updated one way and not the other.

So at the risk of badgering, what's the Analogue one giving you this isn't?

Honestly, I know it sounds silly but the NT Mini is just a nicer design and feels a bit more premium. I also have the MegaSG and the SuperNT is on order, so I'll have my main 8-16bit games collections future proofed with the Analogue machines. 

But in terms of pure functionality the AVS is still a great device. 

Just now, Dudley said:

Fair enough!

I'll bid but if it doesn't meet reserve when the auction ends let me know ;)

Will do. The reserve is £150, I'll be a bit disappointed if it doesn't make that but we'll see what happens. 

7 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Honestly, I know it sounds silly but the NT Mini is just a nicer design and feels a bit more premium. I also have the MegaSG and the SuperNT is on order, so I'll have my main 8-16bit games collections future proofed with the Analogue machines. 

But in terms of pure functionality the AVS is still a great device. 

As an owner of both those other machines, believe me I get it :)  The NES is the least special of the 3 to me and thus $500 was too much of an ask.

£150 (or so)... I shall ponder :D

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d post in here as I’ve been on a bit of a spending spree but more so on PS3 games mainly. Part of it is because some games I’ve been after have shot up. It wasn’t long ago I was playing my copy of Drakengard 2 that I got late last year for about £28 and that’s like almost £90 now. The first one I have is also really high too, but Drakengard 3 has gone over £100 just about and I bit the bullet and forked just over £80 on it. Also picked up Siren on the PS3 and Folklore which were pricey, oh and Nier but that was about £25 the lowest of the lot. Rinsed about £200. I’m happy I’ve got all the siren games and Drakengard games though now. It’s mental the price change of some of these games. Drakengard 3 was annoyingly about £30 for the longest time until very recently and I passed on it because I thought ah well it’s not too bad and I’ll just get it when I’m ready. This whole PS3 store definitely had an impact on the whole thing though.