Are you spending a fortune on retro games during lockdown?

We've had an interesting press release through which shows that over £25 million has been spent on retro games since lockdown began, with £5 and a half million alone being spent on PlayStation games.

Have you been buying more stuff in lockdown, or are you avoiding spending unnecessary money? It certainly highlights why certain systems and games have been jumping up in price lately.

The Saturn has had the biggest surge with sales increasing by over 110 percent.

I think I spent about £3500 over 6 months or so during lockdown. That did include things like an Analogue NT Mini but the rest was masses of games. Sort of glad I'm back in work :lol:

I'm definitely spending less, but i had pretty much finished my collections by lockdown. On the other hand it is nice to see my small collection of retro games rocket up in value. Admittedly i'm a bit of a snob as one of the big appeals of retro game collecting to me is having really nice condition examples. 

39 minutes ago, strider said:

It is crazy to see often badly damaged saturn games suddenly being super desirable. Personally I would take a minty japanese copy for £10 over a sun damaged, dog eared, dried glue - sticker ripped 50hz cardboard piece of shit at four times the price :lol:

Didn't spend much on games but I did finish building an arcade machine to play them on if that counts! I doubt you're tracking MDF sales from builders merchants though :lol:

Fuck, yes.

I normally have quite a big monthly game budget, but last year I didn't take either a summer holiday or either of the two trips I usually take to the UK (business class).  A lot of that saving was also spent on games.

Plus, there are barely any PS4 or Xbone games I've wanted recently, so the Switch is just about the only modern console I buy for now.

Lynx, Game Gear, SFC, FC, N64, PC Engine, AES, Saturn, Master System, GBA, DS, NGPC, Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 Wonderswan, PSP and PC Engine all have much bigger collections here that a year ago.

Haven't bought much GC but I have just about everything I want for that.

Last thing I bought was a MegaSg and it was an absolutely brilliant purchase.

Aside from that I stopped buying retro a few years ago, decided to keep the stuff I've got and have MD/SNES/PCE Everdrives and a (second) Japanese Saturn that can play CDRs. I'm happy to call it with all the stuff I mostly bought around the early 2000s when the Saturn was seen more as a failed console than retro :D

I bought a few bits recently and noticed that a fair few of my games have jumped dramatically in value and games that I want have also been tougher to come by on ebay etc as I have a price in my head that i'm willing to pay and more often than not games exceed it because there are a fewer of them and more people competing for them.

In fact for the first time ever in my life I paid 3 figures for a video game, most of my collection has been bought at the lower end of the scale when their prices have dropped almost as far as they'll go.

Gone the other way. I've sold maybe a grand's worth of games in the last 12 months. All my SNES, megadrive and ps1 games have gone, as have some Amiga games. Just need some sucker nice person to buy my A1200 bundle now. 

No retro for me. I’m recently embraced PC gaming so playing lots of retro stuff and paying pennies via steam etc.  I half considered getting back into dc collecting but the market is just crazy.

Yes, definitely. Haven't added it up but have been filling my time with bulking up my Speccy games library, old school RPGs and have even made a start on getting hold of the Mega Drive games I've always wanted to experience on real hardware. 

Also looking to get a new machine soon, something I haven't owned before and maybe a bit niche, maybe a console like a 3D0 or Neo Geo or maybe a computer like a Dragon 32 or MSX. I've really developed a bug for experiencing games running on old hardware rather than emulation, for some reason. I think just because I've been emulating for decades and it's something new. 

I've counteracted it to some extent by hugely selling off a lot of my work/business clothes. If I ever get back to needing them I'll have got so far they won't fit so I thought I may as well sell them before the moths get them.

In the past year I’ve setup/acquired:

2x ngpc’s

1x game gear 

1x dsi xl

So not doing too badly. 

keep looking at master systems but I did a tally and have 21 systems in the house currently. 

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Gone the other way. I've sold maybe a grand's worth of games in the last 12 months. All my SNES, megadrive and ps1 games have gone, as have some Amiga games. Just need some sucker nice person to buy my A1200 bundle now. 

Same here. I've sold off quite a lot of my Mega Drive, PSP and Vita stuff as I wasn't using it and had no emotional attachment to the systems. When I look at the retro gaming market I just don't feel the same collector's impulse any longer.

I'll never sell my SNES stuff though.

I bought a MiSTer kit for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

It's holding the entirety of the 8-bit and 16-bit video gaming legacies at just about 100GB, with the entire CPS-II catalogue and more arcade games on the way.

I never need to buy anything retro ever again, other than replacement controllers and CRT screens. It's easily the best gaming purchase I've ever made.

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

I'll never sell my SNES stuff though.

I know it's the eternal retro gaming debate, but I only had games I wanted to play, rather than "a collection". Once I realised I could really easily play every SNES game I wanted to on my laptop via Retroarch, on a decent screen, using a decent controller, I realised I really didn't need or want the physical media anymore. So I sold them all and now have a carefully curated list of games on my laptop (I find I don't play anything if I have access to everything). 

Not so much games if buying various flash carts counts but I've finally bought and fitted a number of hardware mods.

NeoSD loader, csync mod and custom arcade stick for my neo geo CD, GDEMU / battery / fuse mods for my Dreamcast, 60hz mod for my Jaguar, MODE + 1tb HDD for my Saturn, NTSC N64 RGB mod + flash cart. Eyeing up a flash cart and LCD mod for my neo geo color pocket next, maybe a LCD mod for my lynx. 

Been enjoying brushing up my soldering skills mostly. Plus the prices have got to the point where I no longer care to own the actual game if I can find a workaround / sd card based solution. Prefer original hardware to emulation though still

8 hours ago, Fallows said:

It's holding the entirety of the 8-bit and 16-bit video gaming legacies at just about 100GB, with the entire CPS-II catalogue and more arcade games on the way.

I never need to buy anything retro ever again, other than replacement controllers and CRT screens. It's easily the best gaming purchase I've ever made.

The prices of 16 bit carts in particular are ludicrous, I can't bring myself to pay £60 for a complete copy of Shinobi III when i sold the same item for £7 in 2012 on ebay. 

I use a modded PS1 classic to play any PS1 game I can think of in lovely HDMI out. I have a Mega Drive Mini with all the Mega Drive, Mega CD, Master System and Game Gear i could ever want on a single USB stick, all with proper artwork, synopsis and save state support, and I can play it on my 55" Panny Oled with the most beautiful colours over HDMI with a 2.4ghz wireless controller, it's brilliant. I have a proper Saturn and Dreamcast but those libraries are finished now- I mean, I'd like a copy of Shinobi X and Golden Axe The Dual for completion sake, but thats £150+ on ebay for some tatty cardboard and scratched discs....no thanks! 

Just looking for something like a Super Console X for the arcade side of things and i'll be really happy. I know the Mister excels here but I really like nice front ends like coinops. Mister is a bit to cold and clinical for me - but i get that's it a professional product and gets the job done to the highest standard.

Always got time for cool novelties like the Astro City Mini though. That's great!

9 hours ago, Fallows said:

Me too, love the Mister! 

Why spend inflated 2nd hand trade prices on a plastic shell, PCB and an old ROM chip or an old rotting CD when you can have a super accurate gaming museum in a box? 

Indeed. Even looking inside the few remaining retro consoles I still own makes me want to run for the hills. All that stuff is going to be dying very shortly.

I should be selling them but I could really be doing with replacing a couple of ports and a few caps here and there first. Ughh... I'll likely just store them. Like I keep saying my boy is overly fascinated with the cartridges, and won't play via. any other method. Genuinely not my influence! haha

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

Indeed. Even looking inside the few remaining retro consoles I still own makes me want to run for the hills. All that stuff is going to be dying very shortly.

I should be selling them but I could really be doing with replacing a couple of ports and a few caps here and there first. Ughh...

I've actually recently also bought Terraonion MODE's for both my Saturn and Dreamcast and they're AMAZING! Not only can you have the entire library on there, but also ROM-hacks and now Atomiswave arcade games! 

7 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I've actually recently also bought Terraonion MODE's for both my Saturn and Dreamcast and they're AMAZING! Not only can you have the entire library on there, but also ROM-hacks and now Atomiswave arcade games! 

Yeah that's maybe something I need to look into at some point, too. I've already got the PSOne and PS2 sorted.

To be honest I'm not missing the Saturn. I have everything I need from that library extremely well ported onto XBLA. TBH, most of my Saturn days were spent playing CPS-II and Neo ports... The same can be said for the DC (replace CPS-II with NAOMI and CPS-III).

I don't know why, but I'm never showing even a passive interest in the N64. One of my favourite consoles.

I bought a lovingly-refurbished GB Pocket off an Excellent Forumite, but that’s it. I haven’t bought any retro games software for going on three years, because the prices for most stuff is extreme these days. Even a global mega-recession seems to not have cooled the overheating market. Feel fortunate in retrospect that I acquired the important bulk of my retro collection between 2010 and 2015, before the market bubble.

(Another issue of course being that if you’ve got to isolate during a pandemic, you can’t exactly play many multi-player retro games. Well, very many if you live with casual and non-gamers. So I haven’t played much retro over the last year, regardless of lack of new purchases.)

I've spent around £1500. :wacko: I've gone from having no retro set up at all to the following:

Sony PVM

Super Famicom

RGB modded NTSC N64

NTSC-J PS1

Dreamcast

Region free modded GameCube

Region free modded PS2

And have bought up to a dozen new games for each of them.

I intend to play everything so I've barred myself from any further game purchases (retro or new) for the rest of the year to give me a chance. Might need to make it two or three years though at the rate I play them!

Not much here - I’ve mostly been buying guitar gear and cheap classical music CDs. 

I did pick up a Mega Everdrive Pro in the Krikzz Black Friday sale, basically to give me SMS save states so I could beat Wonder Boy in Monster Land (MW1). Also picked up a few PS1 controllers and a memory card, just to squirrel away for the future. Oh, and 8bitdo 2.4Ghz controllers for my Mega SG & Super NT. 

I came pretty close to blowing £500 on a PS1 pre-modded with XStation and PS1Digital, but I ultimately couldn’t stomach it.

TBH the Switch and the Mega SG are providing ample food for gaming. The Super NT has seen less action, but it’s there when I need it. 

That said, I’m all about playing the games, not collecting the packaging, which seems to be where the real expenditure is at. 

17 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

That said, I’m all about playing the games, not collecting the packaging, which seems to be where the real expenditure is at. 

MiSTer.

Never buy anything again.

On 31/03/2021 at 10:55, strider said:

We've had an interesting press release through which shows that over £25 million has been spent on retro games since lockdown began, with £5 and a half million alone being spent on PlayStation games.

Have you been buying more stuff in lockdown, or are you avoiding spending unnecessary money? It certainly highlights why certain systems and games have been jumping up in price lately.

Would be interesting to see how all of this data was compiled. I'd imagine the vast majority of these types of purchases are just private 2nd hand sales so where are they getting the data from? Completed ebay listings?