IGNORED

Games where you don't improve

dumpster

2D platform games. There are a few other genres I’ve only briefly dabbled with and don’t get on with, but platform games I’m consistently comically bad at playing. Never finished a side-scrolling Mario despite owning most of them on several platforms. Just don’t have the reflexes for later levels but will also die at random moments early

on too.

Still admire them for their design, and found the 3D games a bit easier to get on with. But 2D? Stream me playing them and even Brad Shoemaker would troll me for being shite at them.

Without doubt Counter Strike. I can hold my own in pretty much every other multiplayer FPS but can't hit a barn from the inside in CS. I don't know what it is and I have actually played it on LANs back in the days for a couple of days straight but I never got any better. I can't get any shots on target.

Fighting games, though this is partly not having the time to dedicate to them or wanting to like I did when I was a kid. I wouldn't say I was amazing but i could at least finish Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Fighters Megamix with every single character on the hardest mode. Now I'm a flowchart Ken. 

I want to say Tetris, but it’s not true that I don’t improve as I’m still getting occasional high scores after two years. I just improve at a glacial pace, and not anywhere near enough to get SS ranks in Tetris Effect.

I would have also said Star Wars Squadrons, because I can’t do anything to take out high level players doing dead drift boost skips - but this is actually a failure of the game mechanics and not a personal failure. Nor can I beat them by joining them, because only PC players can use the hot keys required for the technique to work. It just feels like I’m not improving.