Games With Gold April - The Barrel Scraping

You know, just sack off Gold now. If it's going to be removed for F2P games, it seems absurd to run these two services separately. Stop paying to give us free games, assign those people to work with publishers on Game Pass, and just merge the two. That Xbox Live is getting rebranded Xbox network seems a good a time as any to do this.

Yeah, I know GP is twice the annual cost or something, but come up with another tier if you have to. Or lower the default tier. I dunno, haven't done the sums here, just flailing.

This is what I like to see. Games I would never buy. 

You get these fuckwits who moan about a AAA game not being on GwG. 

I don't want these massive games that came out years ago. And I played years ago. 

Hard Corps: Uprising is that Contra spinoff, right? I always wanted to give that a shot, but never quite summoned up the enthusiasm to pay 1600 space lira for it.

32 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

gwg.thumb.jpg.784f92a389ac6573d76a80a7db1f7cc8.jpg

Apparently. Don't know the source aside from "someone on twitter".

'With $129.96 in value and 3200 in Gamerscore... and 100% in reviews!*'

Spoiler

*total review scores added together across all games

Hard Corps Uprising is actually a good game and is never on sale, not a bad addition. It's (the last good) Contra but without the contra name because Konami are stupid as fuck. 

Just now, deerokus said:

Hard Corps Uprising is actually a really good game and is never on sale, not a bad addition. 

Really good is stretching it. I remember it looking great and also that I only managed to beat because there's a spot in one of the levels where you can rack up a silly amount of points. It's a solid 6/10, or at least it was then. 

50 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

I can’t remember if I’ve played Dark Void. 
Which probably tells me everything I need to know about Dark Void. 

I bought Dark Void cheap years ago from Play.com or somewhere and subsequently never played it before selling it. Now's my chance!

I do remember Capcom released an NES 8 bit style shooter alongside it which looked half decent. I don't think Dark Void was though, lost in the sea of other third person shooters from that era.

1 hour ago, jimmbob said:

I can’t remember if I’ve played Dark Void. 
Which probably tells me everything I need to know about Dark Void. 

I'm almost positive I sold you a copy for five of your queen's pounds some ten years ago. There is of course no guarantee you played it, and I apologise for having ripped you off now I know you could have waited a decade to not play it for free.

Just now, Swallow said:

I'm almost positive I sold you a copy for five of your queen's pounds some ten years ago. There is of course no guarantee you played it, and I apologise for having ripped you off now I know you could have waited a decade to not play it for free.

You did. That must be where I remember it from! I never played it, the 360 pile of shame was immense. I was too busy with Mindjack and the First Templar. Astonishing games BTW. 

5 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

I was thinking of Dark Sector. A game where you play as Goth with a boomerang or something. 

Random fact: Dark Sector is set in the same universe as Warframe.

It was also another distinctly average 360 era third person shooter style game with a funky boomerang weapon mechanic.

2 hours ago, K said:

Hard Corps: Uprising is that Contra spinoff, right? I always wanted to give that a shot, but never quite summoned up the enthusiasm to pay 1600 space lira for it.

its brilliant.

It's a shame to see everyone dumping on Dark Void. Years since I played it and definitely a mixed bag, but the Jetpack movement is really cool when you get the hang of it - especially in slightly more confined areas. It's more or less The Rocketeer in game form. Exactly the sort of game that deserves a second look. So probably not much point putting it on games with gold.  

Edit: Dark sector was pretty good too. You basically got to fly the boomerang thing (glaive?). Apparently I just like gimmicky b-grade shooters of a certain age.

Dark Sector was brilliant...okay it was GoW/Resi 4 with a boomerang but that was a great idea and it ran with it.

I vaguely remember Dark Void being entertaining, was part of that ‘verticality’ thing for the mid 00s...I remember very little   else mind

Yeah, I remember quite enjoying Dark Void back in the day. It wasn't amazing, but the flying was fun. 

Apparently Hard Corps Uprising will be delisted at the end of the year so that's a nice addition.