What have we lost?

1 minute ago, Siri said:

Lightgun games.

Even with technologies like the Sinden Lightgun coming into play, having extra tat to use with your game really burnt out after the Rock Band craze.

Also, something else that I saw someone mention elsewhere, but it escapes me where: Minigames during loading screens. Namco filed a patent in 1995 and then had it in a handful of games, the patent expired in 2015 and then SSDs pretty much killed them altogether.

Nailed that.  Light Guns stopped working with household TVs just as the TVs got big enough to make them really fun.  I thought VR would work well with Time Crisis style games but the 3D seems to make it really hard to aim accurately.  I'm contemplating the Sinden gun because the idea of Point Blank on a big TV is really tempting.

5 minutes ago, Siri said:

Even with technologies like the Sinden Lightgun coming into play, having extra tat to use with your game really burnt out after the Rock Band craze.

I'd second this one - not just light guns but also guitars, drum kits, dance mats, fishing rods - I'm sure I had all sorts.

Only Nintendo Labo has really recaptured that magical feeling of "here's a game and here's the cupboard full of otherwise useless tat you will need to retain in order to play it".

When games first moved to CD they really made the effort. Mega CD, PC Engine and Neo Geo CD games in particular have great soundtracks. Even if the game was poor, more often than not the music would be really, really good.

The worst hit genre is Fighting game music by far. It has long become absolute crap compared to what we used to have. Somewhere shortly after Virtua Fighter 3 and starting with Tekken 4 it mostly turned into repetitive, unremarkable dirge.

You can hum all of the SFII music from memory. The Neo Geo CD KOF/AOF and FF soundtracks are godlike. And man, character select screen music used to go hard like this:

I haven't really enjoyed a fighters soundtrack since KOF XIII. 

21 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I thought VR would work well with Time Crisis style games but the 3D seems to make it really hard to aim accurately.

That's technically true, but games can compensate with some amount of auto-aim without ruining the feel. Pistol Whip is basically a lightgun game and feels amazing, for instance.

4 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Good shout on the 60fps thing, I was playing Sega Rally on the Saturn a while back and first thing that struck was the frame rate is absolutely thunderous!

Sega Rally on the Saturn was 30fps IIRC? Although it felt much faster....

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Yeah that's why I went with thunderous :D maybe I'm too used to sub 30fps games these days!

31 minutes ago, Halo said:

Cheat codes.

The time between Goldeneye being released and those cheat codes being revealed was probably trivial. But there was a time and place in this world where the only way to get anything done was by accomplishing the unlock goals or using an action replay, and it felt like an eternity. When those codes came out...the moment had almost passed.

41 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Rewards for completing games or elements of games. Unlocking of new characters etc. Now all just chargeable DLC.

I was struck by this as I played through Resident Evil 4 again a few months back.  Unlocking all those extra modes.  Mercenaries could be a stand alone game (and was on 3DS).  There's so much content in Resi4, it's surely stuff they would charge extra for today.

18 minutes ago, MattyP said:

A steady 30 is worth a lot. Unfortunately it's not always steady for most games (Forza Horizon 4 has a very steady 30fps mode though, had to check twice to believe it - feels like 60)

I'm afraid to say everyone that I think the videogame music thing is just you being a bit old. There's plenty of excellent original stuff still being produced. 

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

Original video game tunes in general. And I mean catchy tunes like this that get stuck in your head for weeks.

Have you played listened to Cyber-Shadow yet?

4 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Have you played listened to Cyber-Shadow yet?

I downloaded it the other day but haven't played it yet. You have got me intrigued now! :o

13 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Rewards for completing games or elements of games. Unlocking of new characters etc. Now all just chargeable DLC.

Similarly: today’s practices of carving everything up into episodes and downloads, even before the rewards and unlocks. Compared to the mountain of content in something like FFVI or Kirby Super Star. :P

I hope that devs and publishers are listening to how much we're loving the 60fps modes in backwards compatible games on the new consoles, and think about it for their games currently in development. If they do, high frame rates may not be lost after all.

41 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Yeah that's why I went with thunderous :D maybe I'm too used to sub 30fps games these days!

:D Yes it was a rock solid 30fps for sure. Played it last year before I sold off my Saturn kit. Still an awesome game. Even though the graphics were horrible... :) 

42 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I was struck by this as I played through Resident Evil 4 again a few months back.  Unlocking all those extra modes.  Mercenaries could be a stand alone game (and was on 3DS).  There's so much content in Resi4, it's surely stuff they would charge extra for today.

Yes agreed - the cynical side of me says that DLC business model has rendered this kind of thing obsolete, but I think this also extends from the modern trend to allow the player to see as much of the game as possible because they paid for it.

The concept of hiding content away behind late game challenge barriers has emerged now that we know most people don't finish their games.

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Noisy loading. The screech of a cassette, the rhythmic knocking of an Amiga. The clunk of an N64 cartridge being pushed into the slot. The snap of the GameCube's lid, the rattle of the PS2 drive tray. The contemplative sound of a Dreamcast gently chewing on its disc.

Consoles always seemed so physical, they had their own sound and feel. Now my Series X is completely silent, it's never had a disc in the drive and I turn it on via the controller - it's like it's not even there. I've even turned off the beep it makes when you turn it on. That's a shame, in a way.

Get what you mean. Machines seemed to have a "personality" back then because of the little quirky flaws and the fact you interacted with the box itself.

Still largely I expect it's those "rose tinted glasses" at play again :) Remember the pain of just getting things to load in at times in the old 8-bit days at least. Having to shuffle a C64 cassette deck around for example to get things to load? Aligning and cleaning cassette heads? Hyperloads that would crash at the end of loading? Oh man carts and floppies seemed so revolutionary when the 16bit era came in. Especially carts on the newer 16bit machines. Bliss.

How far we have come with SSDs on the latest machines. 

48 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I'm afraid to say everyone that I think the videogame music thing is just you being a bit old. There's plenty of excellent original stuff still being produced. 

I think that it is more the fact that the music is now being recorded using entire orchestras, as opposed to being generated out of the chip(s) themselves.

Good revenue stream for the orchestras mind.