PlayStation Network still open - All choppers are returning to Saigon

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, it's a right pain; you're locked to a single profile at a time, just as you're locked to a single memory card, so you get to pick your region :/ I'm lucky enough to have two Vitas - one modded, one not - and the modded one is where I keep P2:EP.

I was thinking of modding mine to be able to use the sd2vita thing, but I could put EP on there then too. Hmmm. Just got a replacement Vita memory card so might try it over the weekend

We'll also be losing access to a lot of PS1 software.

Resident Evil

RE2

RE3

Silent Hill

I just cannot countenance the idea of not having access to these games. I regularly go back to the original RE trilogy, and although I don't have the psychological fortitude to shoulder the burden of regular Silent Hill playbacks, I do need to boot it up every few years just to taste the darkness.

8 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I always liked the sound of Corpse Party on PSP but I never got around to playing it. Some videos on YouTube looked a bit conversation heavy for my tastes these days. Anybody played it?

Yep, its one of the ones I am making sure I download. It's effectively a visual novel, so there is a lot of text, it's all about the story rather than the gameplay. If thats not your thing, you may bounce off it

Just now, deerokus said:

If your vita is modded you don't need to worry about the region nonsense. Worth it for that alone. 

Going to give it a go over the weekend. My Vita is on 3.73 so need to downgrade to use the permanent hacks but been through it before so fingers crossed it works OK

5 hours ago, ymaohyd said:

I came into this thread looking for some decent PS3 digital games but a load of the recommendations so far are still available on three generations of Xbox or physical media elsewhere. Not saying these should be completely excluded especially in the case where physical is prohibitively expensive but do think it should focus on games that will be lost if PSN on PS3/Vita shuts down.

I got back into the PS3 last year and picked up a few exclusives that I hadn’t got round to originally. I made a very short list of digital ones that I intend to get but can’t comment on quality:

Tokyo Jungle

rain

infamous: Festival of Blood

And ones that I’d already got that I think are still console exclusive and hopefully still available:

Motorstorm RC

Worms Crazy Golf

Tokyo Jungle is one that came to mind as I have it but got it on PS+ a few years back and don’t pay for that anymore so lost access to it. Had some fun with it despite initially not getting on with it, however it became quite addictive later on. 

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

I always liked the sound of Corpse Party on PSP but I never got around to playing it. Some videos on YouTube looked a bit conversation heavy for my tastes these days. Anybody played it?

I'd say you'd have to love the novel side of these games. It's full of inexplicable "game over" dead ends, and then some lengthy replays of long drawn out sections. I struggled with it, and I like visual novels.

Patchwork Heroes. PSP. UMD only came out in Japan. Really fun update of Qix essentially. I got stuck some way in as I only have the Jp release so I'll finally get this on to the Vita I think. Last I checked it was 6 quid or so.

Assuming the games remain available for previous purchases to be re-downloaded, that would suggest that PKG-J for the modded Vita and Modded PS3 would still work. I'm not recommending or condoning this, just saying that the games would still be available to download (just an observation). 

So it seems a bit weird that Sony would pull them from the stores because what possible hardship is there to leaving the bit where you pay them money in place? Surely it doesn't take up enormous server space or incur costs to them? 

Also, seeing as how you have limited storage space, what with the unmodded Vita's tiny memory cards and PS3 coming from the era of 120Gb Hard Drives, surely if Sony remove the games from the store entirely they're basically stealing anything you don't currently have back from you? 

Like, imagine ringing trading standards and telling them you bought a PS3 with a 60gb hard drive, downloaded 500gb of games over the years, uninstalled and reinstalled games as and when you wanted to play them.... And now Sony have taken away all the games you don't happen to have installed at this moment in time.  Refunds all round please. I'm sure this would be an issue as it's a situation that's probably not come up in law before.

I couldn’t find it when searching the Playstation store (so might have been removed or my inability to search) but WTF: Work Time Fun is perfect to have installed on either your PSP or Vita for a quick blast. 

This was US only for the English release and note whilst it did get a physical release on the PSP, long loading times and having to change UMD if playing something else makes it not quite as good or convenient.

WTF is an odd one. It feels like Wario Ware but with that game’s framing replaced by the monotony of actual work. Well, sometimes.

Putting caps on biros shouldn’t be that compelling. :P 

23 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

WTF is an odd one. It feels like Wario Ware but with that game’s framing replaced by the monotony of actual work. Well, sometimes.

Putting caps on biros shouldn’t be that compelling. :P 

Neither should sorting newly hatched chickens. It's a bit dark in places.

I guess where the work part comes in, is that you have to do a fair amount of grinding to earn money to unlock all the mini games.

15 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Yes, like a lot of VNs with inexplicable game overs and missable content it's best played with a walkthrough.

I bought Bishi Bashi Special on the Vita to have my Vita tv be a small, portable multiplayer comsole. It’s got some 2d fighters on there too.

Just turned the ps3 on for the first time in years. I’d totally forgotten what I had on here. GTI club, afterburner climax! Wipeout hd, outrun2.

loads of stuff I want to play again now, tempted to do journey and unfinished swan again.

i do have dark mist, which I remember really liking at the time too, so I need to check that out again.

Great thread!

Some of the games that came out of Sony's C.A.M.P. (or Creator Audition Mash-up Project) are worth picking up as well. Echochrome has already been mentioned, but Patchwork Heroes and Numblast are definitely worth a look as well.

And flOw is still the best on a portable console imo.

Others that have already been mentioned but are definitely worth getting, are Rain, The Last Guy, Trash Panic, Tokyo Jungle, Black Knight Sword, Journey, Stacking, Contra Hard Corps Uprising, Into Dust and I Am Alive.

Worth noting that Stacking, I Am Alive and Hard Corps are playable on modern xboxes via backwards compatibility anyway. Journey is on ps4. Not as desperate to salvage those. 

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Great thread!

Some of the games that came out of Sony's C.A.M.P. (or Creator Audition Mash-up Project) are worth picking up as well. Echochrome has already been mentioned, but Patchwork Heroes and Numblast are definitely worth a look as well.

And flOw is still the best on a portable console imo.

Others that have already been mentioned but are definitely worth getting, are Rain, The Last Guy, Trash Panic, Tokyo Jungle, Black Knight Sword, Journey, Stacking, Contra Hard Corps Uprising, Into Dust and I Am Alive.

Yeah somebody should have mentioned Patchwork Heroes.

On 25/03/2021 at 09:59, Sketch said:

Scott Pilgrim VS The World - I hated this game

Regardless of your opinion of it, you haven't been able to buy the PS3/360 versions for years, and they were not made available again with the recent PS4/Xbox One Complete Edition re-release.

So why did you include this in your list of stuff to grab from PSN before it's gone? Was it just to remind people who bought it years ago that they should re-download it and get it patched?

8 hours ago, spatular said:

these links worked for me the other day but don't any more - do they still work for anyone?

Looks like they're gone.

No Gungnir or Persona 3 Portable for me then... 

Tactics Ogre physical copies are still pretty easy to find cheap though so everyone should jump on that. 

Might be time to pick up some more of the rarer/more expensive PS1 games from the Japanese store, if they haven’t disappeared already.

I already have Harmful Park, Gaia Seed, Zanac X Zanac, Dodonpachi and a few others. Will probably add Little Ralph and a few more of the ridiculously pricey (for physical copies) shooters. 

my PS3 has been on for 48 hours now, downloading games. 

even stuff I already have installed. and if you try to stop/delete the new download, it offers to delete the installed version. Shite.

I started the first game to complete, MGS4, while I wait... install took an hour.

• Sketch changed the title to PlayStation Network still open - All choppers are returning to Saigon