I've downloaded PCSX2 to my laptop to see how it runs. Tried GT3 with it (I happened to have recently acquired an ISO of the US version) and it runs like shite - 20fps, tops, but normally around 13 fps.

My laptop is a 4 core i3 1.9ghz with 8gb RAM and onboard Intel 5500 GPU. 

Is my laptop just not good enough to run anything at a decent speed, or is there something I can do with PCSX2 to get something like GT3 running at a decent framrate?

Any tips?

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I've downloaded PCSX2 to my laptop to see how it runs. Tried GT3 with it (I happened to have recently acquired an ISO of the US version) and it runs like shite - 20fps, tops, but normally around 13 fps.

My laptop is a 4 core i3 1.9ghz with 8gb RAM and onboard Intel 5500 GPU. 

Is my laptop just not good enough to run anything at a decent speed, or is there something I can do with PCSX2 to get something like GT3 running at a decent framrate?

Any tips?

Though I haven't used it much I think PCSX wants at least 2gb video card memory and recommends 4gb? So imagine that might be part of your issue

Have you fiddled around with the settings much? If you put it in 'software emulation' mode it should run at the PS2's native res with no fancy post-processing effects etc. It's possible your specs still won't be up to it, I dunno, but it's definitely worth a try! (Also, there are no settings that work well universally, I find. It's best to set things up on a game-by-game basis...)

[classic emulation talk]

I got a solid 60fps on my 486 SX 25mhz so clearly there is something wrong with your laptop.

[/classic emulation talk]

15 hours ago, matt0 said:

[classic emulation talk]

I got a solid 60fps on my 486 SX 25mhz so clearly there is something wrong with your laptop.

[/classic emulation talk]

I briefly thought you were serious, then I remembered how long ago it was I had a 486. Then I was slightly sad. 

I can run it fine on a Q6600 , 8Gb ram and an old 560ti graphics card.  I think it's the graphics card that's your issue because my pc is old ( was pretty decent in 2009), the graphics card was £30 at Cex in 2015 but it's all fine for PS2 emulation.

Might be worth looking on the PCSX2 subreddit. There are some recommended settings. Interestingly, GT3 appears in the list of most CPU-intensive games but I imagine it is somewhat GPU-intensive too.

13 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

Check what graphics plug-in you're using. Your spec doesn't sound that bad, you might have defaulted to ZeroGS which is shite

Absolutely. Go to Config - Plugin/BIOS selector, and have a flick through what's there.

If it's just GSDX, Open it with the 'configure' button, and try out different renderers via the first pull-down (it'll say something like OpenGl/Direct 3D 9/Direct 3D 11). IIRC, Direct 3D 9 probably has the most compatability with older and integrated hardware.

You can also try some speedhacks via the slider that's bottom left in the Emulation Settings Menu (also in the config).

EDIT: to follow on what @Swallow said as well, you can also check out the PCSX2 Wiki entry for GT3. It'll have a list of times when people have tested it with certain hardware and what settings they used at the time. The Gran Turismo games are definitely one of the more intensive games for the Emulator (GT4 is probably the roughest, as is Street Fighter Anniversary for other reasons as it's essentially emulation within emulation), but the only thing that gives me pause in your hardware would be the integrated graphics.

3 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Sounds like I should probably give it up as a bad job. It does say it'll run on a Pi, though. Am I likely to get the same results? 

There's no way PCSX2 would run on a Pi. I would be surprised if it ran at all, let alone at anything approaching a playable speed.

Probably Dreamcast, if anything. Even a Pi 4 starts to really struggle from that point forward with Saturn and Gamecube.

As for PCSX2, Didn't realise you were on Linux - You might be shit out in regards to Plugins, but you can switch from Hardware to Software to see if it's any better. One of the wiki entries says they got better results with switching to software and setting extra threads