Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

On 17/04/2021 at 13:07, Unofficial Who said:

Every time I dip back into this thread it just reinforces my decision to skip the PS5 and jump over to Microsoft this gen.

Why not both this time out? This is what I've done as it's nice having options. 

You're a big fan of FF7r no? There's that new update to it coming soon and I imagine when part 2 is launched it'll have the same exclusive window as the prior. 

To avoid these issues on PlayStation (as much as you can), stick to physical disc purchases on that machine. 

Haha! What is it recently with companies and rollbacks on big decisions?!

Good news though, obviously, particularly with the PSVita which I really do feel relies on an active digital storefront, much more than the PS3.

Telling that Jim Ryan penned that - I think there have been a number of negative Sony related stories recently and it feels like this is going someway to change that perception and narrative (the truth matters less than the optics). I expect more showiness from Sony soon to demonstrate that they care about their history/legacy.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down PSP, Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

Right now we need to let them know we really want a list of us part 2 patch but not a remake...

Thinking about it, wouldn’t it be great if we got to vote on what Sony first party game got made next out of 3 pitches. You could vote via the actual PlayStation and you PlayStation ID. See some concept ,prototype etc then over the years you get to see how it gets made.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.
23 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Wait, just so I don't keep changing the topic title are they still shutting the PSP store?

Sony shut down the PSN store for the PSP years ago. I assume they'll be keeping all the PSP and PS1 stuff available for Vita, though.

1 hour ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Sony shut down the PSN store for the PSP years ago. I assume they'll be keeping all the PSP and PS1 stuff available for Vita, though.

Not so sure about keeping the PSP stuff available for Vita part, otherwise their statement that

PSP commerce functionality will retire on July 2, 2021 as planned. 

doesn't mean much - I presume the PSP bit is being removed entirely now, even for PSP>Vita purchases.

No idea what'll happen with PS1 stuff, of course - whether that's considered part of the "PSP commerce functionality" or not!

15 hours ago, Rain Birds said:

That’s good news. Now, surprise everyone with software backwards compatibility for PS3 on PS5, please.

Never going to happen

I also think from a financial standpoint it makes no sense for Sony to spend a lot of money investing in trying to get the awkward PS3 architecture emulated properly. Glancing over the top metacritic PS3 games and the best sellers, the vast majority of games that are the best reviewed or most popular are either available on PS4 or have sequels that have supplanted them. The giant franchises like COD and Assassin's Creed have newer versions available which serve basically the same purpose. Most of Sony's own games have been ported to PS4 (Uncharted, TLOU, God of War 3), or have sequels that are intended to replace them (Gran Turismo 5/6, LittleBigPlanet). I understand that there's a lot of smaller, or slightly older games that aren't playable on PS4/5, and I think it's fantastic that Microsoft have ensured that the vast majority of the 360's library have become compatible. But from a purely business standpoint, it's hard to see what purpose PS3 compatibility would serve. It must make a lot more sense to let people play the PS4 ports of older games and remake the few PS3 games that aren't playable on PS4, as they have with Demon's Souls.

I know that there's probably a lot of games that we as very dedicated gamers would like to have access to that we might lose, and I see that there's arguments about the preservation of older titles, but Sony have made it abundantly clear that they don't give a shit about that. The only possible motivator for them is going to be financial. From a mass market perspective, what games are there that you could play on PS3 but can't play on PS4/5? Discounting yearly franchises which are designed to replace their previous entry like COD and FIFA, and focusing on story based games where there's a reason you might want to experience the older titles, there's a few Rockstar games (GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, May Payne 3), a few Bethesda games (Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas), a couple of Valve games (The Orange Box, Portal 2), and a few EA games (Dead Space 1 and 2, Skate 2 and 3). Now obviously I would prefer to play New Vegas to Fallout 4, but I can imagine from the perspective of a Sony executive, most of those have modern analogues which offer a similar experience on PS4/5.

The only games I can think of that are trapped on PS3 with no way to play them and might attract a lot of attention and don't have current gen replacements are MGS4, Valve's PS3 ports, the Dead Space games and the Skate series. Maybe the FFXIII trilogy but they haven't exactly got a stellar reputation. I guess there's also some PS2 games that were remastered for PS3 but haven't been released again, like Ico, Sly Cooper and MGS 2 and 3. Personally I would absolutely love to be able to play Portal and Portal 2 on my PS4 (though I'm just using the Xbone to do that at the moment), but the colossal challenges of getting PS3 emulation working on their new console are going to cost a lot and no matter what direction I look at it from I can't see a business based argument for it that makes any sense. I think we should all just be grateful that Microsoft's lack of games and drive to do things that will make people like them have given us access to most of that generation's best games on modern devices, because I don't think we're going to see that from Sony.

This has been quite the exercise in generating a whole load of really bad publicity for no reason.

It's certainly consolidated my opinion that I don't trust Sony and probably now never will. OK, they're not shutting those stores this year but the clock is definitely ticking.

To be fair, MS shut one of their consoles before Sony did.  Granted that was a different MS.

That said, never trust any company, that's sort of the point of preservation efforts.

@Broker The most notable series that is stuck on PS3, and is heavily tied into the consoles history, is the Resistance series. I'm a bit surprised that Sony didn't remaster it in a similar way to the Uncharted collection.

Killzone is another obvious trilogy of games. I think both series will be back at some point, particularly as Sony will once again look a little light on single player FPS games with Bethesda now part of Microsoft.

PS Now is a reasonably good bridge between actual PS3 consoles and the glorious technological singularity where we’ll be able to emulate the system. It’s no substitute for the real consoles but I could see an official emulator being practical before the lasts of those bites the dust.

Yeah, not that I especially expect Sony to do it but if you could put in a PS3 disk and it let you PS Now it without a membership that would go a long way.

But there's many issues with that, not least cost and licencing.

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@Broker The most notable series that is stuck on PS3, and is heavily tied into the consoles history, is the Resistance series. I'm a bit surprised that Sony didn't remaster it in a similar way to the Uncharted collection.

Killzone is another obvious trilogy of games. I think both series will be back at some point, particularly as Sony will once again look a little light on single player FPS games with Bethesda now part of Microsoft.

I did see those, but I get the feeling Sony has moved on from those franchises and doesn’t really care to revisit them or offer them any exposure. With Guerilla finally having the success I personally thought they always deserved with Horizon and Insomniac doing insane numbers with Spider-Man I wouldn’t be at all surprised if those franchises ended up staying as relics of the PS3 era. I’m not commenting on their actual relevance or importance, more that I think from a business standpoint Sony have moved past those franchises. 

On 17/04/2021 at 14:07, Unofficial Who said:

Every time I dip back into this thread it just reinforces my decision to skip the PS5 and jump over to Microsoft this gen.

Same here. Been buying Sony ever since the PS3, but with all this going on and the ridiculous oversight that renders your console completely useless when the internal battery dies (try replacing one in a PS3 super slim model), is strongly making me doubt to keep backing them.

13 minutes ago, Broker said:

I did see those, but I get the feeling Sony has moved on from those franchises and doesn’t really care to revisit them or offer them any exposure. With Guerilla finally having the success I personally thought they always deserved with Horizon and Insomniac doing insane numbers with Spider-Man I wouldn’t be at all surprised if those franchises ended up staying as relics of the PS3 era. I’m not commenting on their actual relevance or importance, more that I think from a business standpoint Sony have moved past those franchises. 

Regarding Insomniac there are a number of Ratchet & Clank games exclusive to the PS3 that haven't seen any kind of port. Have any of the LittleBigPlanet games received remasters either? One title I'm surprised to have not been given a re-release was God of War: Ascension, though I guess that has been given the Arkham Origins treatment.

Still a lot of problems with the PS3 store that need fixing, so hopefully Sony will do something about it. Not least the fact they are selling DLC for games you can no longer get the patches for e.g Motorstorm 1 on PS3. I have the patch and bought the DLC, but with the game's online mode shutdown you can't get the patch to use it if you haven't already downloaded it. As this game was released before the patch server and had to be downloaded from in-game. Sony need to add the 3.1 patch as a free download to the store in all regions.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Now that the store isn’t actually being shut down, I’ve got a hankering to buy a Vita purely to buy some classic PSX games/restore access to the PSX games I bought for my PSP, which was stolen. 

From what I recall, the first gen machine, with the OLED screen, is the one to go for. Is that a slam dunk? Does it play UMDs, in case I also want to track down Initial D and jam out to some Eurobeat bangers?

21 minutes ago, Popo said:

So. Now that the store isn’t actually being shut down, I’ve got a hankering to buy a Vita purely to buy some classic PSX games/restore access to the PSX games I bought for my PSP, which was stolen. 

From what I recall, the first gen machine, with the OLED screen, is the one to go for. Is that a slam dunk? Does it play UMDs, in case I also want to track down Initial D and jam out to some Eurobeat bangers?

Only PSPs play UMDs.

The LCD screen on the second gen Vita is still great, but it's not quite as nice as the OLED one; I think the second gen one is a bit nicer overall. Personal preference.

24 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

Only PSPs play UMDs.

The LCD screen on the second gen Vita is still great, but it's not quite as nice as the OLED one; I think the second gen one is a bit nicer overall. Personal preference.

Silly me! Not like Sony to miss an opportunity to drop a failed media format in order to introduce another one. 

Out of interest, what is it about the revision you like? 

Having said all that, maybe what I really want is a PSP…

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I got both models, and tbh the difference in image quality is negligible. 

Yeah both vita versions are good imo you cant really go wrong with either. The first one has a slightly better screen and feels more solidly built, but the newer one is more comfy to hold and the screen is still really good imo.