Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

I think I've probably downloaded everything that I'm realistically going to play ever, but the thing about Cross-Play titles needing to be downloaded to each platform is a nasty little surprise for people.

I do wish Sony had more respect/reverence for its own heritage. I can see why you might decide after a point that a Store isn't making enough money to warrant keeping it open, perhaps, especially if there's any legacy weirdness in there making new things difficult. But it's annoying that a: I can't play, especially, the smaller PSN titles that I own from the PS3 days without keeping the PS3, and b: that I might be reliant on the awful Vita Download list page in future.

42 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

It means you lose access to that version. So if you've got a PS4/Vita cross-buy game (like Day of the Tentacle, Axiom Verge or Undertale or whatever) and you've only ever played it on PS4, then you have to activate the Vita version before the cut-off date or you won't be able to later.

EDIT: If you've claimed something on PS+ for PS3 or Vita, then it's yours forever on that one format, probably not both unless you download both. I don't know which version is the 'primary' for PS+ games. Probably depends on the game.

EDIT2: Basically crossbuy games are two separate licenses, just that each one grants access to the other at the point of 'purchase'. So yeah I think you would need to go through your library on each platform's storefront to ensure you can access stuff you're entitled to when the stores close.

EDIT3: Oh, it specifically says normal crossbuy is still accessible on all devices, so maybe it's a particular quirk of PS+ crossbuy.

As opposed to...?

Why do you think that’s Plus only?

23 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Why do you think that’s Plus only?

Because it also says:

You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

I thought that all crossbuy content had to be validated on each platform's storefront, but it seems that's not the case. It will just appear in your download list.

I'm guessing if I spend a few minutes/hours scrolling through the download list on the vita and hitting download on everything it will trigger the required license, even if the download itself fails.

12 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

At this point it's probably easier to hack your PSVita since the game downloader app on that is just easier to use.

One thing to note is not everything is available through that app.

14 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I'm guessing if I spend a few minutes/hours scrolling through the download list on the vita and hitting download on everything it will trigger the required license, even if the download itself fails.

I don't think that's how it works. If it's in your download list, you already have the license. All of it will download, even after the store closes.

It's new activations that are ending.

49 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Because it also says:

I thought that all crossbuy content had to be validated on each platform's storefront, but it seems that's not the case. It will just appear in your download list.

I guess I’m not understanding what the connection between  Cross Buy and PS+ is, I have non-Plus games that were cross buy.

41 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I don't think that's how it works. If it's in your download list, you already have the license. All of it will download, even after the store closes.

It's new activations that are ending.

My reading was that if it's cross buy and you have downloaded it on your PS3/PS4, but not on your Vita you'll lose the Vita license. And vice versa I suppose but I'm less worried about the PS3 versions.

1 hour ago, David Kenny said:

My reading was that if it's cross buy and you have downloaded it on your PS3/PS4, but not on your Vita you'll lose the Vita license. And vice versa I suppose but I'm less worried about the PS3 versions.

Based on the email, it seems this is only the case for PS+ titles.

For some reason. :unsure:

EDIT: Correction:

• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.

• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

The difference is for PS3 crossbuy games specifically. They must work differently. Nothing to do with Plus as such, then.

EDIT2: I think the confusion is stemming from their use of the word "download" there. Whether or not you download content should have no bearing on owning the license. Older crossbuy content simply had to be 'purchased' again (for £0.00) to add the license, whereas new crossbuy content (PS4/Vita) is done automatically.

Edited by Sprite Machine
3 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Should be able to, yeah. That's separate functionality from the storefront.

Well, as long as they keep supporting that, and you can still re-download your purchases, I don't have too many problems with them closing the stores. They did support it for 15 years. Except the VITA. That one is closing down maybe a bit too soon.

15 hours ago, tnman said:

I'm sure it must have been said in the thread already but this is surely a warning siren for people who want/have bought digital-only consoles.

Why? The ones with disc based PS5s are in basically the same place.  If you don't think so try booting a disc only copy of Cyberpunk sometime.

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

So the store is closing.

Can we still download patches for disc games after it shuts?

It's not part of this specific closure so yes but...

I've got loads of PSOne and PS2 classics across my UK and US accounts. The last classic game I actually completed on it was Persona 3 and my Slim is creaking a bit these days so it's time to finally buy a HD upgrade for this and start using it instead.

ps3.jpg.8c1c90f2d605a08d15332541fdb2f852.jpg

The PS3 store is an absolute nightmare to download games from your purchase history though, always going back to the start as soon you start a download which is a pain when you have a long list of purchases. 

42 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The PS3 store is an absolute nightmare to download games from your purchase history though, always going back to the start as soon you start a download which is a pain when you have a long list of purchases. 

Doesn't happen to me any more. Vita store, aye, but not on PS3.

50 minutes ago, crocked said:

I have multiple ps3 consoles. If I have a digital game will I be able to download it on a console I haven't downloaded it on before after the store is closed?

Should be fine, it's linked to your account not the console. Although, make sure to activate your two favourites so other accounts on the consoles can play them.

I bought some stuff yesterday, but cannot download anything.

Is anyone else having problems downloading from PSN?

I got the error code 80029509. I can access the store, I can buy stuff, but nothing can be downloaded. Not even my older stuff from way back when.

:(

EDIT:

Turns out this problem is rampant across the world. Japan, English speaking countries, everyone on Twitter is complaining. You can buy stuff but not download. And allegedly Sony support refuses to deal with it, because they're exclusively supporting PS4 and PS5 now. Can anyone verify this?

80029509 is a network related PSN error IIRC, either it can't activate the game or the activation server is down. I've been DLing stuff all morning and it's been fine, probably just a temporary issue, but you could try signing out and back in and making sure your console is activated under Account Management.

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Can you have more than one PS3 activated at the same time on the same account? PSP and VITA seems restricted to only one for every account, but I haven't tried the PS3 yet.

You can have two.

19 hours ago, Spacehost said:

80029509 is a network related PSN error IIRC, either it can't activate the game or the activation server is down. I've been DLing stuff all morning and it's been fine, probably just a temporary issue, but you could try signing out and back in and making sure your console is activated under Account Management.

Done all this. From what I can see on twitter, it def seems to be their servers overloading due to panic buying. Yesterday afternoon not my USA, UK, or Japanese acounts could download.

This morning at 8am UK time I was able to download stuff from my USA account (Hank Franklinson), but not my UK account. The UK downloads are still frozen.

Are we actually taking data from servers on foreign soil when accessing the USA and Japanese stores?

Looking across the web, I can see angry people on Reddit, the PSN trophies forum, twitter, etc. One poor guy decided to buy his first Japanese PSN card, bought a bunch of PS1 games off the store, but then could not download any of them. There is also A LOT of people in Japan with this problem, posting screenshots of their Japanese accounts with the error code.

Tech support has apparently been telling people there's nothing they can do.

Jesus. I know it's a 15 year old system, but Sony really shit the bed here. You can't announce closure of a store, throttle the bandwidth, allow people to spend hundreds of pounds (individually), and then tell them to fuck off when it doesn't work. I wonder if anyone higher up knows what's happening, or if there's basically one guy, working from home, fielding a thousand angry twitter messages on the only thing resembling an online help desk.

I was ready to drop £150 mopping up the last dregs. Not if I can't download them though...

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.