Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

Maybe a stupid question as I haven't logged into the PSN store in a while but where have the PS3 games gone? Need to set up my PS 3 again to ensure I've downloaded everything. Do we know if download will still be possible after the assumed end date or do we need ot wait for the official announcement?

10 minutes ago, crocked said:

Maybe a stupid question as I haven't logged into the PSN store in a while but where have the PS3 games gone? Need to set up my PS 3 again to ensure I've downloaded everything. Do we know if download will still be possible after the assumed end date or do we need ot wait for the official announcement?

Currently the only way to view the PSP, PS3 and Vita stores, including your previous downloads, is on the consoles themselves.

1 hour ago, teddymeow said:

Have they taken down a load of PSOne classic titles form the PS3 store?

They did that ages ago. Had a big blowout sale then binned loads of them.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Currently the only way to view the PSP, PS3 and Vita stores, including your previous downloads, is on the consoles themselves.

Thanks. Will check once my PS 3 is back up and running

1 hour ago, deKay said:

They did that ages ago. Had a big blowout sale then binned loads of them.

Did they get rid of PS2 classics as well.?

The PSP store was mothballed a few years back, so if you've only got a PSP you're out of luck.

(I'm aware this probably only effects me and in real terms it means I won't waste money on massive RPGs I never actually get round to playing...)

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

For me I think emulation and custom firmwares are the answer. In 20 years time the last Xbox 360 will have red ringed, capacitors will have leaked, hard drives will have failed and all this stuff in the garage will be basically unusable. But while they last, custom firmware will allow me to download every Vita game ever made and that will allow me to keep my own personal device for as long as it doesn't break. But ultimately it will, and that's why emulation is so vital for preservation.

This, with one correction.

Emulation is good, often very good but FPGA hardware like the mister or even better Analogue's output when they make any are actually cycle correct.

An Analogue Super NT runs Super NES carts so well the Super Gameboy works. And they didn't do anything special to make it work.

The problem with modern games is while I put a cart in the super NT or download a rom and play in snes 9x I'm playing the game.

If you download the launch version of Cyberpunk or Animal Crossing, which is of course what the pirates preserved or was shipped on the physical hardware, the game you're playing bears virtually no resemblance to what you actually want to play.  On Steam you can at least backup a patched one which will likely work several PCs down the road in many cases long after publishers and platform holders have changed hands or died and even that's not perfect.  On the consoles it's much harder.

Got the email

Spoiler

We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on 2 July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27 August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2 July 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.

What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Where can you find out more?
Read our FAQ for more information: https://www.playstation.com/support/important-notice/

PS Vita messaging service

As of 28 June 2021*, users on PlayStation Vita will no longer be able to use the messaging service. Although messaging on PS Vita is going away, your messages will still be available to you by using the messaging service on PS5 consoles, PS4 consoles, and via mobile on PS App.

*Termination will start on 28 June 2021, actual date of the termination may differ by region.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony Shutting Down PSP, Vita and PS3 Stores
31 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Got the email

Hide contents

We are closing PlayStation™Store on PlayStation®3 on 2 July 2021 and on PlayStation®Vita devices on 27 August 2021. Additionally, the remaining purchase functionality for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) will also retire on 2 July 2021. After thoughtful consideration, we decided to make these changes in an effort to focus our resources for PlayStation Store on PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5, which will enable us to enhance the customer experience even further. We thank you for your support on these platforms throughout the years.

What does this mean for you?
You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PS Vita and PSP digital content, including games and video content.

You will also no longer be able to make in-game purchases through games on PS3, PS Vita and PSP.

While the PSP storefront was previously closed in 2016, the remaining PSP purchase functionality (e.g. in-game purchases) will now be fully retired.

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Where can you find out more?
Read our FAQ for more information: https://www.playstation.com/support/important-notice/

PS Vita messaging service

As of 28 June 2021*, users on PlayStation Vita will no longer be able to use the messaging service. Although messaging on PS Vita is going away, your messages will still be available to you by using the messaging service on PS5 consoles, PS4 consoles, and via mobile on PS App.

*Termination will start on 28 June 2021, actual date of the termination may differ by region.

TL;DR is that the ability to buy things is going on those dates, but your Download List will still be available, so you can still download bought titles. For now.

So for sure after 2nd July you won't be able to download previously purchased games on the affected systems?  Just re-read it. Still this effing sucks & the stores are a sluggish nightmare to navigate on the systems. I'd hark on about this being a warning for our digital future but then the PS4 has an internal battery that once dead and needs replacing ,if it can't phone home even the blu ray disc drive won't work :rolleyes:

Any indication that you couldn't redownload your content was pretty far fetched to be fair. They just don't want to maintain the store front functionality which always seemed the case.

You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.

Oh boy, definitely looking forward to browsing my downloadable Vita content! Definitely not regretting owning the complete version of Ridge Racer Vita right now!

Seems they're just taking the piss out of us.  They send you an email telling you that they are stopping support for.all the PS3 stuff, the Vita stuff, the messaging app, the store... It's all stopping.  Then at the bottom....

Screenshot_20210329-210930.thumb.jpg.14e328b26f8cfc92358793216a7e9952.jpg

Erm.. apparently it does.

Not that bothered about the PSP stuff and I don't have a Vita but I might dig out my PS3 and check the store one last time - any particular system exclusives to look out for? I definitely remember buying Tokyo Jungle already.

Sony were producing and selling brand new Vitas just over two years ago. Maybe some people think an acceptable amount of time has passed for them to do this, but I'm not among them, especially when you consider how much of that machine's library is digital only (or in such short physical print runs as to make them hen's teeth rare).

Thank fuck for piracy, I suppose.

Is there anywhere I can buy a new PS3 slim for a reasonable price? I mean literally anywhere, I don't mind if it's the UK, America, whatever as long as it supports 240v. I have a US 80Gb fat but I replaced the hard disk, the power supply has failed twice already though and I'd rather get a new unit now and transfer everything onto that. I'd rather not get a super slim but if that's the only realistic option then fair enough.

In hindsight I should've bought a spare PS3 back when they were clearing them out but it didn't occur to me that Sony wouldn't even bother to try and reoffer PS1/2/3 BC with the PS5.

Especially since the PS4 has working PS2 and PSP emulators.

This, from the email, is really concerning:

If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.

There are loads of PS3/Vita cross-buy games where I've either downloaded one version and not the other, or simply claimed them from PS+ and not yet downloaded either version.

Does this mean I now need to go through my entire list and download both versions of every game at least once to avoid losing access to them for good?

53 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

This, from the email, is really concerning:

There are loads of PS3/Vita cross-buy games where I've either downloaded one version and not the other, or simply claimed them from PS+ and not yet downloaded either version.

Does this mean I now need to go through my entire list and download both versions of every game at least once to avoid losing access to them for good?

It means you lose access to that version. So if you've got a PS4/Vita cross-buy game (like Day of the Tentacle, Axiom Verge or Undertale or whatever) and you've only ever played it on PS4, then you have to activate the Vita version before the cut-off date or you won't be able to later.

EDIT: If you've claimed something on PS+ for PS3 or Vita, then it's yours forever on that one format, probably not both unless you download both. I don't know which version is the 'primary' for PS+ games. Probably depends on the game.

EDIT2: Basically crossbuy games are two separate licenses, just that each one grants access to the other at the point of 'purchase'. So yeah I think you would need to go through your library on each platform's storefront to ensure you can access stuff you're entitled to when the stores close.

EDIT3: Oh, it specifically says normal crossbuy is still accessible on all devices, so maybe it's a particular quirk of PS+ crossbuy.

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

For now. And trapped on defunct hardware. 

As opposed to...?

10 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I mean, not really? Everything you bought is still available?

Yes!

But if you are somebody like my brother, who will buy a console and keep it for decades and top it up with some pre-owned stuff from eBay every so often, he/others may become unstuck if his digital-only box becomes a time capsule.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.