Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

2 hours ago, Spoonman said:

image.png.e167c9b04d3e47caf0b3635e01bf8009.png

That's not just the case with the PS3.. if your PS4 CMOS battery dies it reportedly locks out your digital AND disc content unless you're connected to PSN for authentication..

1 minute ago, Yiggy said:

This is a good point and it’s almost more annoying than the digital purchase shut down because physical has some hint of permanence about it. 

You’re gonna have some games that work okay ‘out the box’ and some that don’t. I imagine a back street market for game patches. 

“I can you do you a day one for Skyrim mate but it’ll cost you.”

I guess switch games are fairly immune from their right? I know they still get day one patches but mostly they should probably work pretty well out the box? 

Some games don't ship completely on the cart on switch, you have an extra download in those cases. Which is annoying unless you have a ginormous sd card. 

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's definitely possible to get your old Wii purchases back and redownload. I did it just last week as I did the Wii to WiiU transfer.

I don’t mean to derail the thread, but as an aside - how? I missed the deadline to download my stuff before they closed down the shopping channel. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

I don’t mean to derail the thread, but as an aside - how? I missed the deadline to download my stuff before they closed down the shopping channel. 

It's just there under "Purchase History" on the Wii Shopping Channel - middle centre (I double-checked too before posting and re-downloaded a demo)

Also there are still two things you can newly 'purchase': the Wii to WiiU transfer tool and the Skyward Sword save file fix.

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

This is a good point and it’s almost more annoying than the digital purchase shut down because physical has some hint of permanence about it. 

You’re gonna have some games that work okay ‘out the box’ and some that don’t. I imagine a back street market for game patches. 

“I can you do you a day one for Skyrim mate but it’ll cost you.”

I guess switch games are fairly immune from their right? I know they still get day one patches but mostly they should probably work pretty well out the box? 

@deerokus points out the issue there, a lot of switch physical carts the game isn't on the cart.

But yeah, I've bored people on here with it before but I called physical games dead in 2013.  I firmly believe the ultimate definition of retro games will be "games you could own in a playable version".

PS3 store dying is the first time that's really going to affect people's physical media and it might be the point they start to notice.  Assuming of course they DO stop patching working.

Weirdly the closest to this now is actually the digital pioneer steam, admittedly you need Steam's servers sometime but you can take a full digital backup of your patched version at any point.  And that'll be a great basis for things to be cracked in that form if it's ever needed.

5 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

If access to past purchases is blocked, meaning losing ownership of digital titles, I can see there being a huge uproar (and maybe legal proceedings?), as that seems utterly unacceptable. Certainly considering you could still purchase stuff now and then you suddenly don't own it a few weeks later.

As far as I can see, there isn't any suggestion that's what's happening, is there? It's just you won't be able to make new purchases as the storefront will be gone. It'll be interesting to see how that works in practice.

Yeh, I mean they were still releasing system updates until a few months ago, so I presume there’s still a user base in the millions.

10 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

If PS3 and PS4 physical games cannot be played due to server connection requirements... that's an absolute shambles.

Pretty sure physical is fine, unless they snuck it in via a system update. A few years ago I didn't have internet at my place for a week or two, and I could play disk based games on the PS4. The Xbox One was unusable as I'd selected a setting to check the internet when logging on and was thus about as useful as a paper weight.

12 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Pretty sure physical is fine, unless they snuck it in via a system update. A few years ago I didn't have internet at my place for a week or two, and I could play disk based games on the PS4. The Xbox One was unusable as I'd selected a setting to check the internet when logging on and was thus about as useful as a paper weight.

Scroll up a bit.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

As mentioned upthread, once the CMOS battery dies in the PS4 it needs to 'call home' every time it tries to play any game, disc or otherwise; if it has no internet connection or the license servers are taken down, it won't be able to do that.

(if you tear open the PS4 you can of course replace its CMOS battery, but apart from the need for invasive surgery to do so, the console needs to reregister itself through the license servers after that fact, so if they do ever turn off those servers then all PS4's will be on a limited lifespan to run any games)

7 minutes ago, Wiper said:

As mentioned upthread, once the CMOS battery dies in the PS4 it needs to 'call home' every time it tries to play any game, disc or otherwise; if it has no internet connection or the license servers are taken down, it won't be able to do that.

(if you tear open the PS4 you can of course replace its CMOS battery, but apart from the need for invasive surgery to do so, the console needs to reregister itself through the license servers after that fact, so if they do ever turn off those servers then all PS4's will be on a limited lifespan to run any games)

Is that the same with Microsoft consoles too? That is fucking insane!

I’ve just spent ages tearing the flat apart looking for my Vita. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s permanently lost. Now to try and quickly cram everything back into a small cupboard before my wife gets home.

edit: Bloody hell! This cupboard is like shoe jenga. I didn’t realise she had so many shoes.

5 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's just there under "Purchase History" on the Wii Shopping Channel - middle centre (I double-checked too before posting and re-downloaded a demo)

Also there are still two things you can newly 'purchase': the Wii to WiiU transfer tool and the Skyward Sword save file fix.

that's cool! hopefully sony take the same aproach of telling us they're going to turn the servers off, but then don't actually do it.

22 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Ah, I can't access the store anymore. It says my password and/or log-in ID is incorrect, even though they're right. Must be an error on my machine then.

You need a specific password just for the PSP these days - you set it up in the online account somewhere.

Anyway, although this is almost certainly going to happen at some point, the original report about this is still a rumour is it not?

Bloody hell, it worked!!

happy-old-woman-eye-glasses-showing-ok-i

Cheers guys!

Hahaaaaa, must've been close to 9 years (stats say late September 2012) since I managed to get on the store with my trusty old PSP-2000. I was never able to visit it again after my account got hacked back in 2012. Prompted me never to go digital-only again.

I guess this is why Sony "believe in generations".

It's an utter shambles! I'm a fully signed up member of the SDF but, jeez, they can't seem to catch a break at the moment.

PS5 fan issues
Cross-gen save shenanigans (Avengers, Yakuza Like A Dragon etc.)
PS Store being utterly useless / wishlist is beyond awful
UI half-baked - changing button press function / not storing user preferences for sorting games in library
Stick drift

And now this.

Have I missed anything?

If it wasn't for the promise of stellar Naughty Dog / Insomniac / Guerilla titles I would probably sell up and go all Xbox! It seems strange to me that the company who seemingly "care" about past generations are the one who, historically, would  want you to upgrade to the newest software.

4 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I mainly play very Japanese stuff that doesn't get released on the Xbox on my PS4. So, yes sure. 

The key word is "unpatched".

If you're buying a digital multiplatform game now, which platform would you now buy it on?

I'd assume the one that looks the safest option that you may be able to play it again 10-20 years down the line? 

In killing themselves in the past, they're killing themselves in the future!

Theres no guarantee Microsoft won’t put the bullet into XBox at some point in the future either and unlike Sony gaming is a tiny part of their business model.

6 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

From what I read the issue is that if the internal CMOS dies; as I too have played offline. 

35 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Theres no guarantee Microsoft won’t put the bullet into XBox at some point in the future either and unlike Sony gaming is a tiny part of their business model.

There are no guarentees generally with digital. You spend your money, you place your bets. Sony is now looking a bad bet.

I bought some movies on Amazon video. They could all be gone over night. Ive considered who I'm buying from and I'm betting they won't.

I currently consider microsoft an even safer bet. They've put the effort in with BC. The store on X|S is the same store as on Xbox One, and it's got a fair few 360 game in. The 360 itself uses the same architecture, and I suspect it'll keep going a fair while longer.

Whenever I consider buying on digitally on switch I expect that it'll be dead even faster. I'd rather buy physical for the important games. 

Except physical is the same as digital now. There are reasons to buy physical but preservation ceased to be one a decade ago.

Although granted marginally less so on Switch.  Consider though how much of Animal Crossing as it is not is actually on your cart.

10 hours ago, ryodi said:

They certainly did so with the OG Xbox pretty quick. The 360 has already had half a decade longer than that got.

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

The key word is "unpatched".

Yeah. The majority of those game were released in Japan months before the rest of the world. So 99% of the game is on the disk. Any patches tend to be for some free DLC. So, I'm fine with that.

18 hours ago, Dudley said:

Would you really want to play most unpatched PS4 physical games?

True, so you just make sure every game in your collection is updated and patched before they shut down support I assume. Not an easy feat if you have some 100+ games.

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Why is everyone ignoring that it affects physical too? It was mentioned pages ago.

Because we don't know it does.

Shutting down the store is not the same as shutting down the authentication/licence/update/patch servers.

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.