Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

Yeah, the second model is a bit lighter in the hand, and the rear touchscreen is marginally less terrible (inasmuch as you're less likely to accidentally press it). The original has a nicer screen, but said screen does have weird "blotching" (can't think of a better description) in when outputting black.

In all I just prefer the original, but either is great. And the second version is more readily available in fun colours, which has tempted me to triple-dip...

48 minutes ago, Popo said:

Silly me! Not like Sony to miss an opportunity to drop a failed media format in order to introduce another one. 

Out of interest, what is it about the revision you like? 

Having said all that, maybe what I really want is a PSP…

More curves so it’s comfier, just feels that little bit better built, with a nicer rear touchpad. Also it’s got a standard micro-USB charging port, not a weird proprietary one.

Whichever one you get you will

need to cfw it to get the full out of it. 

Adrenaline is the PSP runtime that gives you the PSP experience on a vita. You’ll want that for PSP and psx games. 

Oh, the Vita can’t play PSX games downloaded from the store? I thought it was the same as the PSP in that regard. 

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oh, the Vita can’t play PSX games downloaded from the store? I thought it was the same as the PSP in that regard. 

The Vita can play PS1 and PSP games fine. I’ve never felt the urge to put Adrenaline on mine.

Adrenaline doesn’t necessarily help with that does it? If you just want to bypass the compatibility blacklist, you can do that with ordinary Vita home brew.

If you want to add PS1 games that can no longer be bought/were never on PSN, then you'd need Adrenaline. If you just want access to PS1 games you own that are simply hidden from the Vita then yes, I think basic whitelisting would work, but if you want to e.g. play Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels on your Vita (and why wouldn't you?) then you'll need Adrenaline.

• 3 weeks later...

So since the shutdown and U-Turn were announced I've been spending some serious time looking at the PlayStation 3 store and Sony certainly in the UK need to give the store some much needed TLC. As the store on the PlayStation 3, is just packed full of problems if it's not crashing on you, you will find items you can't buy or even DLC that won't work with your game!

Some of the issues highlighted in the video:

1. Lots of titles being delisted even after the shutdown has been suspended

2. Games and add-on not showing up in the search function when in the store, even if they are available to buy! Only found in the huge all games or add-on lists

3. Some items can only be purchase if you download the trial, the access the trial from the XMB menu and bring up the options, one of which is purchased

4. PS3 Store not updated since 2018, so can't buy many PSVita games on it

5. DLC for games like Motorstorm sold that requires the patch, however with the online shutdown the patch is no longer available (needs to be added to store)

6. As above some early games didn't use the patching server to deliver patches to you and instead required you connect online in game, once the online mode is closed the patch can't be downloaded.

7. Game like Beyond Two Souls, have DLC locked to the PAL SKU of the game, there are at least four versions of Beyond Two Souls, but currently the store only lets you download one. My version is (EU3) and is in full English bought from GAME in the UK and can't use the DLC. As you should be given the download for all the SKUs. (Going to be contacting SONY direct about this one in the next few day.) Thread here suggests all SKUs should be available on DLC purchase: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/673021-beyond-two-souls/67451728

8. Some items like the DLC Map Starhawk – Mire Prospector Map can't be bought or downloaded in the UK Store. Same with the Free DLC Pack 4 for Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce

9. Some of the DLC given away with games on purchase like the The Eye of Judgment: Legends UMD release contained a code for the Dragon Rider DLC, which was never released to the store for free or purchase. So digital buyer of the game could never get it and the codes are now long expired. (I know cause I got a sealed copy a few years back.)

10. PS1, PS2 and Minis titles don't have their own store pages any more as a result it's quite possible some of these don't turn up in store anymore, but are available to buy. Rapid Angel for the PS1 was never in the PS3 store.

If you find this video useful please do share it, so Sony get the message to update it and correct many of the problems shown here.

I thought it was announced at the exact same time then they u-turned the other 2 in a manner than might even make you suspicious that was actually the plan.

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Didn't that happen ages ago?

Yes the store front was shutdown in 2016 on PSP

https://www.polygon.com/2016/2/29/11135200/sony-shutting-down-psp-store

Supposedly some PSP games still have in-game purchases still working and this feature is being shutdown. But I have yet to find one that does still have working in-game purchases.

As mentioned in the video above, I've heard mixed things about the PSP shutdown supposedly PSP games that are sold on the PS3 and PSVita won't be removed. (That may not be the case, as what's going to happen is very unclear now.)

There's no mention of the PSP shudown on the official information page either now: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/important-notice/  (Previously there was a page on the shutdown for all 3)

A word of warning if you downloaded free PSP DLC via the PSP store, make sure to download them via either the PS3 or PSVita. As free items weren't added to your PSN account's download history on PSP.