Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.

https://www.thegamer.com/ps3-vita-psp-stores-permanently-closed/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The PS3, PS Vita, and PlayStation Portable stores aren’t long for this world. According to a source familiar with the situation (verified by TheGamer), the stores are due to be closed down from July. The announcement is planned for the end of this month.

PSP’s and PS3’s stores are to be closed on July 2, while the PS Vita store will stay open until August 27. After those dates, you will no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for any of the Sony consoles mentioned above.

The PS3 released in November 2006 and sold a total of 87 million units during its lifetime. The console officially ended production four years ago after 11 successful years on the market and three model redesigns. The PSP enjoyed similar success, selling around 81 million units since its release in March 2005.

Notoriously, the PS Vita was a bit of a flop. Sony’s second handheld released in December 2011 and sold between 10-15 million units across its lifetime, despite being an excellent little machine. The handheld recently saw some resurgence in popularity, thanks to how easy it is to turn into a portable emulator.

If you own any of the three consoles and you’ve always wanted to download a specific game, now is the time. No doubt the price of physical games will jump up once the stores cease to exist.

The success of the Nintendo Switch proves that there's a market for portable consoles these days, so perhaps one day we'll see Sony have another shot at a handheld. We might get a Doom game where you talk to the monsters first, but you never know.

I don't completely believe this rumour, but if true I had assumed it just means you wouldn't be able to buy them, rather than not being able to download the ones you already own. Although that is already a pain on the Vita.

Removing access to games you paid for would be pretty shocking.

9 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I don't completely believe this rumour, but if true I had assumed it just means you wouldn't be able to buy them, rather than not being able to download the ones you already own. Although that is already a pain on the Vita.

Removing access to games you paid for would be pretty shocking.

Indeed - I can't imagine they won't keep the download lists up and running. Even Sony would struggle to justify that.

Searching for a game in the store is currently the only really practical way to download something you’ve already purchased. You can use the Download List but that is in a random order and includes every PS3 title, theme, application or player avatar you own as well.

So, uh, I hope they have a plan B for that, but they didn’t exactly sunset the PlayStation Mobile store gracefully. (You could backup and restore your purchases after the store shut down, but you couldn’t re-authorise the Vita to actually play them.)

What’s the PS Vita dashboard icon limit? 100 items? If I modded my console and put an SD adaptor in there I might be able to download my whole collection. Maybe.

24 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Searching for a game in the store is currently the only really practical way to download something you’ve already purchased. You can use the Download List but that is in a random order and includes every PS3 title, theme, application or player avatar you own as well.

The download list is already the only way to get hold of half the PSP library, as much of it has vanished from the Vita store. I wanted to redownload Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together the other week, but it's not on the store any more. Yes, that's pretty much the greatest SRPG ever made, now unavailable for purchase. I did find it buried in my download list, eventually, but it's clear the writing is on the wall for the poor Vita.

Yeah, this sucks. I can't remember the thread, but I recall someone recently talking about how digital distribution meant physical games won't appreciate like they used to. I fear this puts the lie to that; if anything, digital stores make things worse as they tie availability not to physical items that can be passed on, but to people's accounts.

Nothing new, of course - Nintendo have done the same with the DSi library, and I'm sure they'll do the same with 3DS in time - but it's a blow to the continued accessibility of games for those systems. And, as is so often the case, makes piracy the most reliable form of cataloguing. I'm lucky enough to now have a modded Vita, and with their using an SD card while my original remains with its official one I'm able to have all of my games installed across the two of them. If I didn't, though, I'd be in a far unhappier position.

I guess the issue is that the PSP and Vita are handhelds with no successor hardware likely to ever be released, and the PS3 had that exotic design that makes it hard to emulate or to add to any backward compatibility service. So while it makes sense for Microsoft to keep Xbox and Xbox One games on their digital store, the only people who would have bought PSP/Vita/PS3 games would be a small and dwindling number of people who still use the actual hardware. It's not great, but also not that surprising.

Any links to tutorials about what to get and how to make the Vita compatible with normal SD cards? There's an adapter available, right? I'm a bit behind this scene now (probably 4 or 5 years!), but should get all my Vita games on one card before the store goes bye-bye. I've only ever used the proprietary Sony cards.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

As someone who still uses their Vita on a semi-regular basis, this is a real pain, and feels far too soon, especially as they were still giving away PS+ games for the Vita only a year or two ago.

Memory cards for the Vita are low-capacity and expensive, so it's not like I can buy a massive SD card and back up my whole library in one go. I'm going to have to spend ages downloading games to the Vita and laboriously backing them up to PC - assuming Sony's Content Manager software still works - or lose access to a whole load of stuff I've actually paid money for. 

It's aggressive tactics like this that really put me off the Sony ecosystem. Yes, I get there's a new console out, but honestly, how much does it cost to keep old stuff downloadable? Some of these games are only a few years old. Meanwhile Microsoft are over here happily selling and supporting launch Xbox titles from 2001, I wonder who I'm likely to stick with in future.

Get it modded!  See the retro folder

1 minute ago, Eighthours said:

Any links to tutorials about what to get and how to make the Vita compatible with normal SD cards? There's an adapter available, right?

thread in the retro folder

This would absolutely suck. 

The last generation, as in PS4 I switched to all digital about half way through it...as well as Switch! 

Part of me thinks that might not of been the wisest...

Microsoft seem a bit more dedicated to keeping the digital library alive. 

24 minutes ago, K said:

I guess the issue is that the PSP and Vita are handhelds with no successor hardware likely to ever be released, and the PS3 had that exotic design that makes it hard to emulate or to add to any backward compatibility service. So while it makes sense for Microsoft to keep Xbox and Xbox One games on their digital store, the only people who would have bought PSP/Vita/PS3 games would be a small and dwindling number of people who still use the actual hardware. It's not great, but also not that surprising.

Meanwhile Nintendo sells GBA games digitally no problem, hobbyists have made a working PS3 emulator on PC in their spare time, and Microsoft sells digital games going back three generations.

I'm sure it takes time and money to get PS3 games up and running on PS5. And that they can't spare any interns for an afternoon to copy paste a working PSP emulator over to the PS5. But it's mostly a matter of interest. How much Sony is interested in doing it and how much interest they think there is among their customers. The problem is definitely not that it's not possible.

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This would absolutely suck. 

The last generation, as in PS4 I switched to all digital about half way through it...as well as Switch! 

Part of me thinks that might not of been the wisest...

Microsoft seem a bit more dedicated to keeping the digital library alive. 

To be fair I would imagine that all future BC on PlayStation will at least go back to PS4. Its anything pre that that will suffer the cut.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Meanwhile Nintendo sells GBA games digitally no problem, hobbyists have made a working PS3 emulator on PC in their spare time, and Microsoft sells digital games going back three generations.

I'm sure it takes time and money to get PS3 games up and running on PS5. And that they can't spare any interns for an afternoon to copy paste a working PSP emulator over to the PS5. But it's mostly a matter of interest. How much Sony is interested in doing it and how much interest they think there is among their customers. The problem is definitely not that it's not possible.

Part of the problem with feasibility of PS3 BC on PS4, is that the PS4 Jaguar core CPU was too shit to even attempt to emulate the Cell processor. In many ways the PS3 Cell is apparently superior! 

This might change with the PS5, but if it was to be the case, will probably take some time to implement. 

Everyone should stop making excuses for Sony (and Nintendo).

There is no reason at all why I shouldn't be able to play my digital PSX 1 classics that worked on a PS3 and Vita but not on  PS4 or PS5. They simply don't care.  

The reasons for the mistakes they include:

• No proper long-term planning, and thus forward-compatibility, for their infrastructure (all these stores run on their old infrastructure back-end)
  • Thinking people don't care, and they will get away with it (this might be true to some extent)
  • Simple money/business reasons e.g. sell old stuff over and over again because customers are stupid anyway

This is one of the main reasons why I abandoned Sony and Nintendo. I feel they disrespect me as a customer, and they piss on their own legacy. Whether that is for business reasons or sheer incapability I don't know, but the result is that at this moment they're seeing none of my money.

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Part of the problem with feasibility of PS3 BC on PS4, is that the PS4 Jaguar core CPU was too shit to even attempt to emulate the Cell processor. In many ways it's apparently superior! 

This might change with the PS5, but if it was to be the case, will probably take some time to implement. 

Sony thinks PS4 and PS5 are not powerful enough to run 20-year old PSX classics. In other words: they don't care. 

Just now, Colonel Panic said:

It’s definitely not just a lack of interns to copy and paste a working emulator either. 

For PS3 it would take some work, for PSP - like I said - far less work. Maybe not a single intern, as I obviously wasn't being serious, but not the kind of work that Microsoft puts into 360 and OG BC, which would be more all the lines of what PS3 emulation on PS5 would probably require. It's definitely possible, but does Sony want to put in the money, time, and effort? Probably not.

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Part of the problem with feasibility of PS3 BC on PS4, is that the PS4 Jaguar core CPU was too shit to even attempt to emulate the Cell processor. In many ways it's apparently superior! 

Yeah, I specifically said PS5. My theory is that Microsoft has incentive to put in the effort because they're lagging behind Sony (and it's a hearts and minds thing that Sony isn't doing) and because their focus is on Game Pass. Putting effort into BC is a way of building up the library. But Sony is focused on their traditional model, and is still doing extremely well, so why bother trying to get PS3 up and running for what they probably consider insignificant return. I would definitely buy digital PS3 games on PS5, especially if they're also enhanced, but I assume I'm in the minority.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

OK, but I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it wasn't surprising. They're not adding any kind of PS3/Vita/PSP backwards compatibility service because they think (probably correctly) that not enough people really care to make it worth their while. Mobile games are usually an odd fit for under-the-TV consoles, and I would hazard a guess that most PS3 owners will have binned them by now - the time to introduce a BC service would have been during the transition between PS3 and PS4 but as Kevvy says, the PS4 wasn't up to the job of emulating the PS3.

Playing around with it just now, is there any way at all to view and download your Vita library from the web? Even if you visit the old-style Store, the Download List link has been replaced with one to the new Game Library, which only includes PS4 and PS5 software.

PSDLE at least let me export a list of my PSVita games and their sizes, so I can see I have 160GB of Vita and PSP content, so at least I know how big an SD card I need.

I thought this had aleady happened for PSP? They shuttered the store you access from the console years ago and I thougnt they delisted PSP stuff on the website recently.

Unless I've missed something...

I actually did buy some digital PSP stuff last year!

• moosegrinder changed the title to Confirmed: Sony NOT Shutting Down Vita and PS3 Stores. Yet.