IGNORED

Why is Gamepass considered so much better than PSNow?

therearerules

At the risk of starting a console war, absolutely not my intention, I'm wondering why of the 2 games subscription service only GP is spoken about as a decent offering, and PSNow is generally seen as the runt of the litter. Whilst there are exceptional games on GP not on PSNow (Outer Wilds, Hypnospace Outlaw), there's a massive amount of crossover on things like Fallout, and whilst Sony will obviously have some excellent games on their service which aren't on GP (Bloodborne the standout, but Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Until Dawn also exclusives), some of the games on PSNow not on GP aren't exclusives, such as theBioshock Series (fancied a replay of Minerva's Den, and only found it on PSNow when I couldn't see it on Gamepass) and Soma, which is a game I've been wanting to play for ages.

Both services charge extra for online play, so is it just about the amount of streaming PSNow makes player's do?

Doesn't Game Pass get big exclusives on day of release? As far as I'm aware PSNow doesn't offer that.

Some people aren't aware that native games can be downloaded and played locally; the poorer image quality and input latency people might have experienced during free trial periods might have put them off.

Due to various deals I do have subscriptions to both active at the moment and I feel like there are more interesting indie offerings on Game Pass. Purely based on my perception though; I havent compared their libraries.

One aspect could be the relative value for money - people on this forum well know that you can get Game Pass Ultimate for the cost of a single year of Xbox Live Gold (about £40), plus small upgrade fee (£1 or £10.99, depending on if you've been a member).

That gets you Game Pass on both PC and Console (separate libraries with considerable but not complete overlap), plus your subscription to Xbox Live.

PS Now, on the other hand, costs about the same for a yearly sub, you have to pay separately for PS+, you don't get a library of PC games, and you don't get EA Play. 

The other big factor is that Microsoft first party games go on Game Pass the day of release, whereas Sony games don't appear immediately. 

3 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The fact that you think this demonstrates what a complete shitshow the whole thing is.

I just assumed PS Plus was the nearest Sony had to Gamepass and that PS Now was some garbage streaming thing. I've got Gamepass locked in until 2023 for hardly anything, like a couple of quid per month equivalent, now anyway - I don't need to add another service on top of PS Plus, Switch online, and Gamepass Ultimate (I ditched Humble Bundle years ago because who really needs another 25 games every month). I'll probably let PS Plus expire soon as well.

Game Pass has better marketing, Sony for some reason wants to keep PS Now a secret. Especially the fact that some games can be downloaded 

But other than that GP gets every single first party game on day one. Loads of smaller indies also day one. GPU includes live, gold games, PC game pass, and streaming,  whereas PS+ is separate. People on these kinds of communities know about the 1 quid for 3 years deal - even accounting for the cost of a few cheap gold codes, GPU works out way cheaper. 

And also:

Spoiler

elder scrolls 6

Just now, ChewMagma said:

I just assumed PS Plus was the nearest Sony had to Gamepass and that PS Now was some garbage streaming thing. I've got Gamepass locked in until 2023 for hardly anything, like a couple of quid per month equivalent, now anyway - I don't need to add another service on top of PS Plus, Switch online, and Gamepass Ultimate (I ditched Humble Bundle years ago because who really needs another 25 games every month). I'll probably let PS Plus expire soon as well.

PS Plus is Sony's version of Xbox Live Gold and Games With Gold, or rather Games With Gold is Microsoft's version of PS Plus which is Sony's version of Xbox Live Gold.

The answer is because it is, relatively speaking, the runt of the litter.

Game Pass gets all Microsoft published stuff on day one and then permanently, potential licensing agreements notwithstanding. It also gets some really solid third party content at launch - the Xbox versions of Yakuza 0 - 6 has launched on Game Pass, Outriders and Octopath Traveller are coming within the next few weeks, Dragon Quest XI S was day one on there back in December. So you get all of that along with games that have been out a while longer.

PS Now is only the older third party stuff and the fact that Sony themselves don’t see fit to put something like Ghost of Tsushima or The Last of Us 2 on there 9 months from launch or that even their own games aren’t always on there permanently - Spider-Man PS4 came and went, for example - says a lot about the relative prestige of the respective services. It’s an afterthought, a place to chuck streaming versions of PS3 games Sony have never been interested in working out native backwards compatibility for and PS4 games people are no longer paying for.

They really should offer a discount for both Plus and Now. And market it better- every time I turn the XBox they want me to look at the new Gamepass games, Sony appreantly want me to get confused between Plus and Now. But honestly, in terms of current games (not future exclusives), I'd argue I'm equally excited about the games on both serrvices, both the crossovers and the exclusives.

Think it's mainly the £1 conversion from Gold trick that has got people on board and noticed it more. Did me. However initially main draw was getting to play Forza Horizon 4 for three months for £3. 

Better than PS Now who knows depends what games you want to play and what system you have. PS Now is a mix of download and streaming. Shame Sony don't allow either option with all content on there just not a selective few. I expect they'll be tweaking it a bit over the coming years though. 

Just now, womblingfree said:

Never used PS Now, which I presume is the direct competitor. But if you’ve had PS+ a while the amount of games you have, for keeps, is insane. My PS+ collection piddles all over Gamepass from a great height.

The problem there is for new subscribers it just isn't a comparison at all. As a way of keeping people locked within their ecosystem I imagine it works though.

Just now, therearerules said:

The problem there is for new subscribers it just isn't a comparison at all. As a way of keeping people locked within their ecosystem I imagine it works though.

I guess so, but now Sony are giving away titles in bulk, including new stuff like Control Ultimate, and pretty much every upgraded exclusive, it’s not so cut and dry. For me the fact you get to keep the games on PS+ is better, while Gamepass can feel like bait and switch when those titles you’ve invested in disappear before you’ve finished them. Whereas I still dip in and out of all sorts of stuff from years ago on PS+.

Anyway, both are amazing and it’s a pretty great time all round.

I have both. I use GP a lot and barely touch PSNow. They tend not to add a great deal to PSNow that I’m interested in, or it’s stuff already on GP or turns up soon. I don’t have a PS5 so I’m always going to prefer GP as my PC and Series X are more capable. I paid £20 for the year of PSNow, and I don’t think I’ve had much value from it.

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Even now, despite having downloaded and played games from PS Now to my PS4, I still think of it as a streaming service. I genuinely do not know why Sony didn't change the name when they added that big free games selection to it.

It’s not a streaming service? When did that happen?

I'm not a big fan of list wars but I do feel like if you made a list of what has been added to Gamepass this year, even without the EA stuff as that costs extra and the Bethesda mass drop as that's a one off,  and put it next to a list of PSNows additions then that'd answer @therearerules question. 

Microsoft are all-in on Gamepass, Sony aren't on PSNow. 

The main reason it’s better is Microsoft’s dedication to preserving and enhancing their catalogue. On PSNow if you want to play a PS3 game your only option is streaming and you are literally playing the original PS3 version. On Xbox all their games are backwards compatible and run locally on the hardware and in most if not all cases they run better in some way or other, higher resolutions, smoother frame rates, quicker loading and just generally improved stability all round. 

I mean with PSNow if you want to play, say, The Last of Us, you can only stream the PS3 version. I see no excuse for this consideringThe Last of Us Remastered exists for PS4, and it’s this lack of attention that puts me off more than anything. 

I thought PS Now was streaming too. It was at the start and when they emailed me about it so I never gave it a second thought.

Even if it wasn’t after their shitshow customer service I wouldn’t have give it a go anyway, Microsoft have my body now.

1 hour ago, Rain Birds said:

It also gets some really solid third party content at launch - the Xbox versions of Yakuza 0 - 6 has launched on Game Pass, Outriders and Octopath Traveller are coming within the next few weeks, Dragon Quest XI S was day one on there back in December. So you get all of that along with games that have been out a while longer.

Don’t get me wrong I think Gamepass is a much better offering than PSNow, but apart from Outriders it’s a bit unfair to say it’s only old third party stuff on PSNow then pointing to games that are years old themselves. Yes technically those games are “day one”, but only by virtue of the fact it took years for those games to come to Xbox in the first place.

I do think Outriders is the first of many more though.