Best way to play Minish Cap?

I really want to play Minish Cap again and wondering what the best way to play it would be. It seems to be readily available cart only on eBay (these might be knock offs but not really bothered as long as it works?).

What is considered the best way to play it? Original GBA? GBA SP? Modded GBA? Or even an RG351?

RG351P is a fabulous way to play any GBA game - they look wonderful on the screen (which is exactly 2x the res in each direction, so scale perfectly).

Playing on an AGS-101 modded original GBA is lovely, but the RG351P pips it for me due to the larger display, rechargeable battery, standby mode, and ability to re-map the buttons (I move roll to ‘X’ for Minish Cap, which I much prefer).

Make sure you get yourself a copy of the North American version if you are going to play it. It features a larger number of bug fixes and the third bomb bag upgraded not present in the PAL version as it was released first, before the NTSC/U and NTSC/J cartridges.

The cutting room floor has a great write up on all the region changes between the different versions.

https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Minish_Cap

These days I prefer the GameBoy Advance Player or Virtual Console on Wii U (If game is available) to play GBA title, much prefer a bigger TV screen. If you have a modern Gamecube Action Reply you can use homebrew software like Swiss to run the Game Boy Interface which is far better software than the original official disc: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface (Only downside is swapping GBA games isn't as easy in GBI)

4 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

What version is it though ? 

The GBA one. There aren’t any other versions are there?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

The GBA one. There aren’t any other versions are there?

Sorry I meant the release , usa or pal. Was just reading a few posts above that the USA one is the most upto date.

13 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Sorry I meant the release , usa or pal. Was just reading a few posts above that the USA one is the most upto date.

Oh, I don't know then. Probably on a UK 3DS you get the UK one.

Even the USA version has a whiff of unfinishedness about it, like how you can only build houses for 2/3 spirits. 

It’s also possible to get all the way to the final dungeon and make a no-turning-back save without having picked up the sword skill you need to beat Darknuts, leaving you screwed. Hit that one myself.

It’s a bit of a mess really, but the Mole Mitts justify the entire game’s existence, so that’s okay. 

On 29/03/2021 at 20:44, Alexlotl said:

Even the USA version has a whiff of unfinishedness about it, like how you can only build houses for 2/3 spirits. 

It’s also possible to get all the way to the final dungeon and make a no-turning-back save without having picked up the sword skill you need to beat Darknuts, leaving you screwed. Hit that one myself.

It’s a bit of a mess really, but the Mole Mitts justify the entire game’s existence, so that’s okay. 

It was done by Capcom and I've wondering if Nintendo and Capcom had a punch up during development over the game and wrapped it up early. The Resident Evil deal at the time and how Capcom got around it left Nintendo very bitter. They've never directly worked together again as far as I can remember.

The Mole Mitts were directly borrowed from Shining Wisdom on SEGA Saturn known as the Mole Claw in it. To be fair it's a clone of Zelda so the game has a lot of Zelda's gameplay in it, nice to know some of the Capcom's developers played it.

To be precise, Minish Cap was developed by Flagship, which was funded by Nintendo, Capcom, and Sega. It was established perhaps as a flexible second/third party that was not a work-for-hire dev, while also not a new dev team either, and that could work with a lot of companies’ IP. Nintendo was experimenting with a few new models at this time, apparently: they also founded Mobile21, with Konami a few years after Flagship. Neither experiment seems to have worked out, though.

I hated the Minish Cap and the Oracle games back in the day, and a lot of it is due to the fact that they seemed to be games that had a lot of polish and great visual design, but were poorly planned. Nintendo and Capcom/Flagship might have had disagreements about the design of the Zelda games, but Minish Cap in particular simply seems to have suffered from a rush to meet the holiday deadline.

Been playing this myself since this was posted, and I’ve just collected the third element.

I’ve really enjoyed it. It looks lovely and bright and cheerful, has some interesting mechanics and tools, and the Kinstone collecting and fusing makes opening the last couple of chests in each dungeon worthwhile (rather than getting a red rupee :facepalm:). There are dozens of secrets and hidden areas, which I’ve enjoyed unlocking, and I’m sure there are plenty more to find.

But hey, the dungeons designs won’t win any awards. At best, it’s like they’re from a Zelda fan game. They’re not awful, and are still fun to play through, but they’re definitely lower tier Zelda. I also feel like I’m reaching the end of the game, even though I’ve only played a few dungeons. Not sure on that one though.