This may be a short thread and I did a quick search but couldn't find anything obvious outside of rice cookers.

What are people's favourite brands of white rice? I use long grain generally so recommendations for that would be good but I do like short grain occasionally so those are welcome too.

Sainsburys do an aged basmati in their Taste the Diff range which is fantastic, almost nutty.

I like the bags of Nishiki rice, I get via Ocado. It's £4.50 for a 1kg bag and is american grown shorter grain stuff so is slightly sticky and goes great with things like Korean BBQ or Katsu chicken.

489631011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=6861f

I've bought bags of expensive Japanese rice for 3 or 4 times the cost of the Nishiki and just can't justify the price, packing is cool and its lovely, but not multiples of lovely.

I eat a lot of rice. Usually 2-3 meals a day, but I’m not that fussy so long as it’s basmati. Can’t hack jasmine rice. 

Laila Gold basmati is pretty good. Just got a 10kg bag for £11. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I eat a lot of rice. Usually 2-3 meals a day, but I’m not that fussy so long as it’s basmati. Can’t hack jasmine rice. 

Laila Gold basmati is pretty good. Just got a 10kg bag for £11. 

What's your issue with jasmine out of interest?

On 20/03/2021 at 11:26, Adrock said:

This may be a short thread and I did a quick search but couldn't find anything obvious outside of rice cookers.

What are people's favourite brands of white rice? I use long grain generally so recommendations for that would be good but I do like short grain occasionally so those are welcome too.

Go to your nearest Asian supermarket and buy either a 5kg or 10kg bag of jasmine. They should cost around £10 and £18 respectively. Sometimes regular supermarkets will sell 5kg bags (I've seen them for sale in both Tesco and Asda). The brands are usually different depending on each shop, but they'll usually say one or more of the following: fragrant jasmine, hom mali, AAA, dragon, new crop. It should be from Thailand or Vietnam. Avoid anything that says 'broken rice'.

My advice is always buy the foreign brands in the big bags, whether its basmati or jasmine. This goes with all ethnic food. If it's made abroad it's almost definitely better.

20 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

I'm pretty sure I've eaten this, or at least it was definitely Laila. Decent.

I can’t really tell the difference between the Gold and the normal green bags, to be honest. Both good. 

45 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

Go to your nearest Asian supermarket and buy either a 5kg or 10kg bag of jasmine. They should cost around £10 and £18 respectively. Sometimes regular supermarkets will sell 5kg bags (I've seen them for sale in both Tesco and Asda). The brands are usually different depending on each shop, but they'll usually say one or more of the following: fragrant jasmine, hom mali, AAA, dragon, new crop. It should be from Thailand or Vietnam. Avoid anything that says 'broken rice'.

My advice is always buy the foreign brands in the big bags, whether its basmati or jasmine. This goes with all ethnic food. If it's made abroad it's almost definitely better.

Absolutely, I buy big bags of Thai rice from a Chinese supermarket. Really good value and terrific rice.

My local little organic shop does this stuff, it’s so so good.

CE540323-3F6D-4A09-B841-428458BE4436.jpeg

16 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Avoid anything that says 'broken rice'.

What's your beef with broken rice? I guess if you don't like the softer texture it's not a good choice. In terms of absolute quality/nutrition etc it should be identical.

2 hours ago, milko said:

What's your beef with broken rice? I guess if you don't like the softer texture it's not a good choice. In terms of absolute quality/nutrition etc it should be identical.

I don't like the texture of it which is a big part of rice. A lot of the rice I ate in Vietnam was broken rice and I wasn't a fan. But yeah you're right, it's essentially the same product.

Far from a perfect analogy, but I wouldn't want to eat spaghetti cut up into 1cm pieces either.

6 minutes ago, milko said:

Fair enough. We have eaten quite a lot of it at times here. But then again my wife makes congee quite often and stuff so that may be why.

To be fair, I am particularly fussy about rice. I'll happily go to the Japanese shop and spend £40 on a 10kg bag of Japanese rice. Bad/average Japanese rice has kinda been ruined for me by high end sushi restaurants (particularly in Japan). If you ask a sushi master they'll tell you the importance of rice to neta (toppings) is around 90/10, I share this sentiment.

The Nishiki that Gotters mentioned above would be perfectly acceptable to most people, but for me I wouldn't buy it again due to the inferior texture. 

I'll go to a Cantonese restaurant I like (I'm Cantonese) and then be annoyed that the rice is average, even if the dishes are good.

For congee broken rice is fine as the rice is breaking up in the cooking process anyway. 

22 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think it’s just because I was raised eating basmati and jasmine just feels slightly off as a result. 

Madness, jasmine rice is lovely. :) 

When I cook jasmine rice it smells kinda like popcorn, which I don't have a problem with, but always wondered if it's supposed to smell like that...

I haven't actually tried cooking japanese short grain rice, so will give that a bash soon. :)

• 1 month later...
On 24/03/2021 at 18:34, Thor said:

Madness, jasmine rice is lovely. :) 

When I cook jasmine rice it smells kinda like popcorn, which I don't have a problem with, but always wondered if it's supposed to smell like that...

I haven't actually tried cooking japanese short grain rice, so will give that a bash soon. :)

Today I learnt that basmati also has approximately half the glycemic index of jasmine rice. I eat a lot of rice, so that’s another reason for me to not go near the stuff. 

Does anyone eat brown rice? I’ve been thinking of giving it a go. 

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Today I learnt that basmati also has approximately half the glycemic index of jasmine rice. I eat a lot of rice, so that’s another reason for me to not go near the stuff. 

Does anyone eat brown rice? I’ve been thinking of giving it a go. 

My girlfriend eats it regularly. I don't hate it, but it tastes too healthy for me. It's kinda like the difference between a very healthy tasting brown bread and a soft white bread.