Sony Interactive Entertainment bought EVO

df0

https://www.sie.com/en/blog/welcoming-evo-into-the-playstation-family/?sf244065312=1

Today, we’re thrilled to announce the next chapter in the story of PlayStation and Evo, the world’s largest and longest-running fighting game tournament. Sony Interactive Entertainment has teamed up with RTS to acquire Evo through a joint venture partnership. With expertise spanning esports event management, brand and developer consulting and gaming talent management, RTS is a new venture led by CEO Stuart Saw and backed by investors including global entertainment, sports and content company Endeavor.

2021's EVO will solely be on PlayStation consoles, which means no Smash (yay) and Killer Instinct (shame). From 2022 onwards all platforms are again supported.

This is weird - the fighting game community has some many toxic and weird people in it. Why would you want to be associated with them in a way you can't separate from

37 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I feel like they’ve broadened the firstparty slate enough that it wouldn’t be a complete piss take if they did. Kratos vs Sam Bridges?

I want to see Kiefer Sutherland dressed as Snake fight Norman Reedus dressed as Sam.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

So it's shaping up like: for shooters and RPGs go to Xbox, for Cinemaction games and fighters go to PlayStation.

I knew about SFV, but looks like King of Fighters and Guilty Gear are both exclusive too. I didn’t realise how much Sony were into the fighting game scene. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

So it's shaping up like: for shooters and RPGs go to Xbox, for Cinemaction games and fighters go to PlayStation.

Where's my console for stealth, rhythm action and point and click adventure games?

13 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Where's my console for stealth, rhythm action and point and click adventure games?

Seeing as Arkane is over at Microsoft now... Xbox. But yeah, overall for most of that it's PC all the way. 

52 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I knew about SFV, but looks like King of Fighters and Guilty Gear are both exclusive too. I didn’t realise how much Sony were into the fighting game scene. 

I really hope the Japanese fighting games release on both Xbox and Playstation (and Switch!) this gen; a real shame to lock 3rd party games to one console when they're basically the same machine anyway. Add some cross-platform multiplayer and some of the less popular games might maintain a worthwhile online playerbase.

I'm glad Evo isn't going to omit other consoles' games now Playstation own the brand. I still want to see older games on there too, not just a slate of active fighting games they wanna punt costume DLC for. 

A lot of the fighting game community seem pretty anti "esports" so maybe the US FGC will shift its weight to get behind CEO/Combo Breaker instead? The Evo name was already tarnished with last year's allegations of paedophilia/sexual abuse by organiser Mr Wizard so it feels weird for such a huge company to pick the brand up. I had planned to go to Evo for my 40th birthday in a couple of years just so I could say I'd been but I dunno if I'll feel as enthusiastic about that by the time 2023 comes around.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: release Tekken x Street Fighter.

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

I really hope the Japanese fighting games release on both Xbox and Playstation (and Switch!) this gen; a real shame to lock 3rd party games to one console when they're basically the same machine anyway. Add some cross-platform multiplayer and some of the less popular games might maintain a worthwhile online playerbase.

True. Although it sounds like Sony helped fund development of KOF so probably won’t see that elsewhere. Guilty Gear feels a bit more Japanese-dev-forgetting-the-xbox exists rather than some kind of deal though so could see that in the future maybe. 

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Anyway, the moral of the story is: release Tekken x Street Fighter.

So say we all.

41 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't understand this at all. Completely get what's in it for Evo, the Cannon name is mud and they needed an exit. But for Sony? I'm at a bit of a loss.

The official PlayStation channels have been regularly streaming fighting game tournaments on YouTube and Twitch for a while now, so presumably this is an escalation of that.

As someone not in the scene I got the impression Evo was effectively dead, but it's still a name that a lot of people have heard of. I'm guessing buying in wasn't that big a monetary investment for Sony whereas the returns in brand terms could be good, and if things don't work out they aren't really 'ruining' anything.

That said, SIE is now directly responsible if they fail to make any related events safe and inclusive. Hopefully that means they'll do a good job of it, but...

Looks like shoryuken.com is currently suspended following the announcement of this deal. Couldn't find an confirmation of exactly why but folk are speculating that the Playstation brand may not want to associate with some of the chat buried in the depths of it's forums. Or maybe it's just a side redesign. The official line is:

For now, we’re suspending the site while we work through what this new partnership means for the future of SRK.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

I haven't visited the site in a fair while, I thought it petered out a while back tbh? I know their wiki recently had an overhaul and thankfully that's still up; it's been a useful reference for 3rd Strike since getting into Fightcade late last year.

This seems very odd. I can't imagine they paid very much for it.

What's the current state of the FGC? Feels like there's been no big releases in some time outside of Smash and did SFV ever recover from Capcom's mismanagement?

As Uzi says, they community has a lot of unpleasant people involved and even Gootecks seems to have outed himself as a conspiracy theorist and Trump supporter, and Mike Ross has disappeared completely. :(

Mortal Kombat 11 was released after Smash Bros and was absolutely huge. Not Smash Ultimate huge (more than 23 million copies) but at over 8 million copies it's one of the most successful "traditional" fighting games.

Street Fighter V performed terribly at launch (deservedly so) but has received continual updates and is now Capcom's 8th best selling game of all time according to their Platinum Titles list with 5.2 million copies sold. A bit misleading though since older games are split across their different versions; adding what they have for vanilla/super/arcade/ultra Street Fighter IV totals 7.3 million or so. SFV probably has a year of life left in it.

There are big fighting game releases due this year in Guilty Gear Strive (was due April, now releasing in June) and King of Fighters XV (rumoured to be September-ish?). Street Fighter 6 was rumoured to be due around now but pushed back by a year so we should see a glimpse of it soon. Riot Games have been working on their fighting game, Project L, for a while and I'd imagine they'll have events with a fair bit of money behind them once it arrives.

I hope Microsoft do something will Killer Instinct; the Xbox One game was well received. I'm sure I read that it was something they were keen to do but there weren't any development teams available to assign it to? Can't find a source for that though.

We're also still waiting to see what Sega is doing following their Virtua Fighter x esports tease as well. Harada and Mori talked about ideas for a potantial Virtua Fighter 6 with Yu Suzuki recently (though Suzuki isn't connected to the project at all, seems it's just all hypothetical).

The FGC has a lot of unpleasant people in It for sure.

Smash has seen so much shit go down it’s unreal and I can only cover the worst cases.

Hope you are ready for a wild ride. Content warning: Rape, grooming, sexual abuse.

Spoiler

- 2016: Mexican player Hyuga permanently banned from all events outside of Mexico after attempting to rape a commentator he was room sharing with at a US while drunk.

- 2019: it’s revealed that former smash bro’s Evo champion Ally had a relationship with evo 2018 runner up Captain Zack while he was underaged. There’s a ten year difference between them.

The truth came out after it was revealed Zack had blackmailed Ally into throwing tournament matches using the relationship as leverage. Ally permanently banned from all tournaments, now only plays in his local scene in Canada with those events being blacklisted by the community.

- Spring 2020: Captain Zack puts up a twitlonger claiming he gave a blow job to pro player Nairo while underaged and that Nairo paid him $2,000 hush money to keep quiet.

The community erupts, Nairo dropped by NRG, permanently banned from twitch. Nairo was easily the biggest smash bros streamer.

- Cinnipie banned after it comes out she had been grooming a boy in the tri-state scene who was 10 years her junior.

- Nairo and Cinnipie situations cause community to have a MeTwo moment as many victims begin to speak up. Dozens upon dozens of players are permanently banned for being rapists, groomers, creeps etc.

- Top commentator D1 banned after accusations come out of him using his position in the community to rape drunk women at events. Also banned alongside him are Keitaro and Anti who along with D1 are creeps and sex tourists who have a history of forcing sex on 17 year old drunk girls at parties in the US and Mexico.

- Former evo champion ZeRo banned for grooming underaged fans in private chats.

- Spanish Melee player OverTriforce banned as a victim of his confesses she was manipulated, stalked and abused by him for years with him raping her at a uk tournament a few years back.

To finish things off:

- October 2020: Nairo reappears and releases a statement saying he has been quiet about the Zack situation while the legal proceedings are resolving. Claims he was sleeping when Zack gave him the blow job, that he was raped. The $2,000 he claims Zack begged to borrow because he was broke after being dropped from his sponsor in 2019.

Further developments over the 5 months since have seen the community welcome Nairo back and ban CaptainZack for good now that the community have been more open about how manipulative he was (personally amazed it took this long he was a sex offender in the making).

Currently a big push is being made to get twitch to remove Nairo’s twitch ban.

Fair to say that despite the smash bros community now being massively cleaned up the irreparable damage has been done. Many of these abusers have worked with Nintendo at events such as E3 and I don’t see them ever extending the olive branch again any time soon, if ever again.

Doesn’t stop smash players having a victim complex when Nintendo either ignores them, distances themselves from them, or C&Ds streams of Melee netplay tournaments that use a combination of the dolphin emulators and rollback netcode known as Slippi.

I like the smash bros games and have even ran tournaments and kickstarted regional communities for the games but I won’t shed any tears if the games never return to evo.

Nintendo don’t want them there, the majority of the fighting game community don’t want them there and after everything that went down in 2020 I don’t think they should be there.

I know the fgc has made a big deal about the new code of conduct. I’m not convinced their issues are as bad as smash in terms of things like grooming but it does need a clean up. Especially anime games I know of people who quit playing Blazblue because the community was too suspect.

Knack mirror matches please. 

I don't see the rationale behind this, it's fairly simple for someone else to replace/compete with Evo. All it would take is one of capcom, Nintendo, Namco whoever putting all their support into one of the others. 

On 19/03/2021 at 18:10, Nate Dogg III said:

I don't understand this at all. Completely get what's in it for Evo, the Cannon name is mud and they needed an exit. But for Sony? I'm at a bit of a loss.

Sony seem to have a strategy to get the PlayStation as the preferred eSports platform for competitive console games:

https://compete.playstation.com/en-gb/play

This will be another step in making that bond stronger.

Of the original beat-em-up players, a lot of lads got depressed at virtually destroying their girlfriend or sister, and it thus became a sort of communal promise to destroy their own evil ways. I did however manage to get diplomatic immunity for Killer Instinct, saying the combo system is like Tai Chi, and one day we might make a VR version of this: Fulgore's Tai Chi Morning -- you can theoretically do this with Kinect!

Anyone with a family lawyer should contact Capcom to find out who owns Street Fighter II, but let's just say as Team America (Darkwing) states, Pearl Harbour sucks, and you can probably sell DIY Jamma cabinets anyway without counter lawsuits. But fuck it, why not go Viewtiful Joe crazy and hack the Capcom logo to RLLMUK. As Keanu likes to say, woah...

14 hours ago, mushashi said:

Sony seem to have a strategy to get the PlayStation as the preferred eSports platform for competitive console games:

https://compete.playstation.com/en-gb/play

This will be another step in making that bond stronger.

Definitely this. In the competitive scene subtle differences in versions will mean that for multi-format titles you’ll really need to practice the PS version in order to compete.

I guess they want a recognised name to get things started but I imagine they’ll be planning to expand the competitions, kinda like the Capcom Pro Tour.