Turn your PS2 into a fantastic Gaming JukeBox machine

12 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I just had to check whether I had a DVD-ROM in my PC :doh::lol: I don't, but I have a box full of them somewhere so I'll get one stuck in.

If not, you can normally find most stuff "out there". If you have a Gazelle Games account, the ps2 stuff all seems to be on freeleech. 

I'm having a nightmare with this. There's so many bloody parts on there that it's hard to troubleshoot the issue. I've given up on that one now and I've ordered a 3rd party network adaptor and a 250gb SSD for it. I don't know if it's the build on my SD card, the SD to IDE, the 2.5 IDE to 3.5 IDE adaptor or the Network Adaptor I got. 

Does the 48-bit build work on a 28-bit formatted SD card?

I'm lost.  If you follow the guide in the OP you end up with PS1 Gradius Gaiden that works directly from the hard drive.  You also get Popsloader that plays Cotton for PS1 but has no menus or options to do anything else.  Where are these on the hard drive? Can you add more PS1 games?  

It's really odd.  There's no file structure to look at so you can't find the apps in order to replace the elf files with newer ones.

All you can do is use WinHiip to add more PS2 games but that's all.  Even following guides to add PS1 games via a USB stick doesnt work because they want you to add Popsloader to the hard drive and there's nowhere to put it.  Cant even run pops off memory card. 

Anyone ?? 

Yeah my PS2 can't see the hard drive (SD Card with adaptors). I took the Network Adaptor apart last night so I can see the LED's on the HDD adaptors and when I power the PS2 on, all of the LEDs on the two boards flash on, but then they go off and that's all she wrote. I can't see the SD card connected to the PS2, the browser version stays at 1.4 rather going to 2.0. 

I'll see how I get on with the new parts I've ordered, it'll eliminate all the adaptors, IDE cable and shitty cheap SD card holder.

Well the 3rd party Network Adaptor and SSD have arrived. I've followed all the steps and nada. That PS2 either doesn't like Network Adaptors or I'm doing something stupidly wrong. Got a PS2 with faulty DVD-ROM coming however, will see how that goes.

On 20/03/2021 at 08:01, ScouserInExile said:

I seem to remember just copying games from a USB stick to the hard drive, without the need to take it out of the ps2. I've been meaning to fire it up for some Gran Turismo action, I'll have a look then. 

Were you doing this with uLaunch? Copy and paste? Where on the hard drive did you paste your Isos? I'm so confused.  Wanting to install Popsloader and none of the guides make any sense because OPL only sees PS2 games. I can't even highlight the PS1 icon in OPL despite doing everything it says. I have pops folders on usb, MC, hard drive, and nothing.

11 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Were you doing this with uLaunch? Copy and paste? Where on the hard drive did you paste your Isos? I'm so confused.  Wanting to install Popsloader and none of the guides make any sense because OPL only sees PS2 games. I can't even highlight the PS1 icon in OPL despite doing everything it says. I have pops folders on usb, MC, hard drive, and nothing.

Turns out I was misremembering this. What I used to copy from USB was game saves. To get games on a drive, you need to use WinHiip or HDL Dumper.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Turns out I was misremembering this. What I used to copy from USB was game saves. To get games on a drive, you need to use WinHiip or HDL Dumper.

Cheers. Have you got ps1 as well as PS2 on your hard drive?

18 hours ago, dumpster said:

Cheers. Have you got ps1 as well as PS2 on your hard drive?

No, only ps2 games. It has been a while since I set all this up and I can't remember whether ps1 stuff worked when I did. I have a chipped ps1 (and a PS1 Mini these days), so it's not something I'd use the ps2 for. 

Cheers @ScouserInExile, I'm going to give up. I also have a chipped PS1 and all my Ps1 games are on my PSTV so I might as well use that. It's just weird that all the guides I've followed for PS2 modding make it seem so easy and nothing worked. 

I remember it all being really straightforward when I did it, but it was about a million years ago now. I updated to OPL a few years ago and I remember that being easy as well. 

The only thing I think was tricky was copying games onto the drive via WinHiip. It seemed to have difficulty reading the drive, had compatibility issues with whatever version of Windows I had and sometimes screwed up the actual copying process that was then hard to undo. 

The main problem is that the hardware required to run the hdd (the ps1 cpu is used as the ps2 io processor) is the same hardware used for the ps1 back compatibility so it’s not a simple native solution. 

Slightly niche question time. Has anyone tried using a cheat device, like Gameshark, from hdd with OPL?

I want to play the ntsc-u version of Gran Turismo 4, but really can't be bothered with the licence tests. 

I got a cheap adaptor off Amazon and set up my PS2 with HDLoader over the weekend. It’s fantastic! Using WinHiip for ISOs and ripping my own games from the PS2’s drive. I’ve got 250gb of games sitting on it now, I’ll probably only play a handful, just like with my MAME cabinet, MegaSD, Modded Xbox etc... but still! What a time to be alive!

Finally got mine going with an IDE HDD I had in a pile of old HDD's and DVD-ROMs. Took bloody long enough, but I'm happy now. I'll burn a load of the games to the HDD tomorrow then give it a proper test.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2021 at 13:37, ScouserInExile said:

Slightly niche question time. Has anyone tried using a cheat device, like Gameshark, from hdd with OPL?

I want to play the ntsc-u version of Gran Turismo 4, but really can't be bothered with the licence tests. 

OPL has a cheat facility built in, but is uses raw code whatever that means. However there are converter tools that show you how to take a gameshark or action replay code and convert it to raw.