Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance

Cyhwuhx

thought it looked rubbish from the trailer... which is a real shame because the originals were *ace* dungeon crawlers with a nice rhythm of hacking/slashing and looting.

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

It's getting reasonable reviews elsewhere. I'll be giving it a go I think.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/dungeons-and-dragons-dark-alliance-review/

Heh. 'non-stop' combat? Skillup guy bemoans that the combat is broken up far too much. 

Fwiw, pcgamesn gave it 5/10. Kind of wild the variation in these scores. 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/dungeons-and-dragons-dark-alliance/review-pc

Yeah, the things that SkillUp shows make me wonder if other reviews have even touched the game. I know multiplayer is the panacea of game design, but a lot of these issues look hard to miss.

Well, the beauty of GP is that we can try it at absoutely no risk. I'm imagining I'll get some fun out of it, but be thankful I've not had to shell out £50+ to do so.

Not that presentation is the be all and end all but the first thing you see is a highly pixelated pennant flapping in the breeze at 15fps.   Feels like the game’s been rushed out half-baked but the combat felt ok (only played through the tutorial), will give it an hour or so later on.

Played the opening tutorial with the tank guy and it was just slow and atrocious. Do not use him

Played through the first main story dungeon with the nippy elf guy and it was much better but its clunky as fuck. 

You need to up the rotation sensitivity to max to have any fun. The lock on system is utter shite and knowing when to block is near impossible due to the camera angle and the umpteen directional arrows around you. 

Basically all you can do is dash to other enemies to close the gap and you can still get hurt when dashing. It's just.... Bad. 

I'm thinking the best and only fun way to play would be using the archer and just playing it like a shooter. 

I will give it another hour and if it's still as bad when new abilities open up then I'm done. I'm a sucker for loot based games. 

I'm very glad it came to Gamepass, I did fancy buying it and I'm glad I didn't. 

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

This looks amazing and I can't wait to try it out later today!

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I paid £65 for Godfall at launch.

I'm still not sure I know what that game even is, apart from apparently shite. 

I have played the similarly-titled Gods Will Fall, which is a cool indie gauntlet meets dark souls sort of thing. 

Just played through Act 1 of the first mission and this is fucking crap alright. Even if you take into account the subjectivity of reviews, PC Gamer giving it 84% is just utter, utter bollocks. At best it's going to be a 7/10 game if it gets properly patched up. Have some lists -

The good

The environments and enemies look pretty nice (PC, highest settings).

The voice acting and music are alright.

Loot. If you like loot. I like loot. Loot.

The bad

Everything else.

Sloppy movement and camera make it very hard to keep engaged with enemies and doing short jumps over traps is unpossible.

Enemy AI is non-existent.

Loads of cheap, bullshit, barely (if at all) telegraphed attacks.

Nonsensical stamina system.

Floaty and weightless combat.

Comedy physics catapulting enemies into orbit (could be seen as good).

Getting boxed in and stun locked into oblivion can get fucked.

I feel like there's a half decent game in here somewhere but it needs a lot of work. The controls are just so floaty and unresponsive, I don't know how it got released in this state (OK, I do know why really but that's no excuse).

Might check in again in 6 months if it gets patched but for now I'm out.

The review's here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/dungeons-and-dragons-dark-alliance-review/

It's by Andy Kelly, who's super-experienced and (not strictly relevant, but anyway) is a brilliant person to follow on Twitter. So it's not some hack, or some starry-eyed newcomer. Sounds like he really enjoyed the co-op aspect, but it does seem like an outlier compared to other reviews (which isn't to say he's wrong to enjoy it). It doesn't look great from the videos (it doesn't look terrible, either), but the fact that Andy Kelly likes it at least makes me think there's something to it that other reviewers aren't seeing.

The comments are pretty depressing. Lots of neckbeards, lots of accusations of bribery, lots of "I think you'll find your subjective experience of this game is incorrect, I have watched three youtube videos and read hundreds of comments on this game, and it's clear that you couldn't have enjoyed playing it it because it is bad".

27 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I have enjoyed some absolutely shocking games in co-op with the right people to be fair. I remember having a great time with army of two.

I had an awesome time playing through the entire campaign of Army of Two! Awful game and tone but man what an absolute riot in co-op with a like-minded friend.