IGNORED

Title Sequences You Never Skip

Benny

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Sorry I also forgot to mention that Evangelion is arbitrarily banned so that everyone doesn't just post that.

You can't stick in the Cowboy Bebop intro and then ban NGE. That's just cheating.

Anyway, all intros are skippable, except those accompanied by exceptionally sing-alongable cartoon theme tunes, which is why the following are always essential viewing:

Ulysse 31:

Spoiler

Patlabor on TV:

Spoiler

Great Teacher Onizuka:

Spoiler

(to be fair, any intro soundtracked by L'Arc is liable to be repeat-listenable, but this has the added benefit of being a great series)

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad:

Spoiler

(Also, obviously the official nyan version of Eva's intro is the best version, and not just because it sounds like somebody's written a theme tune for me and all other people called Yann (or Jan, I guess) :

Spoiler

)

@PK beat me to it. This really is Succession the thread for me. Probably my favourite title sequence ever. Thanks for the Vanity Fair video link. Really interesting.

More recently I've been annoying the wife by insisting we don't skip the opening credits for For All Mankind. Really like the theme to that.

19 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Didn't realise there are so many epic title sequences in modern shows. I'm getting goosebumps and I've never even seen the shows. The Crown and Succession ones are quite something. 

Succession is a brilliant series, everyone should watch it!

It's basically The Thick Of It, but all about the Murdochs and with a multi-million pound budget

One I love is the Mozart in The Jungle where they make an evolving sequence for each episode using elements with different edits of the music. It's great as they're themed to the episode and give a reason to watch them.

This is pretty good still - and was amazing back in the day. (I think I mostly sit through it for the "tinkling" as the camera goes through the planetary rings):

Edit: Also, you'd have to be a monster to skip this:

A spectacular work of art on its own but also succinctly summarizing the themes and conveying the atmosphere of the show in less than two minutes. The “subject superimposed on the silhouette of something else” style has been copied numerous times since. 

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

This is pretty good still - and was amazing back in the day. (I think I mostly sit through it for the "tinkling" as the camera goes through the planetary rings):

Edit: Also, you'd have to be a monster to skip this:

I hate the Voyager one.  Compare it to the TNG credits, which are all bold, epic and optimistic.  Wooosh!

The Voyager titles trudge along like someone barely turning the crank on a record player, who then keels over dead from bordom.

Suppose it sets the scene for the series. 

44 minutes ago, Delargey said:

The Parks and Rec theme is so up beat and chirpy it makes me happy listening to it.

I recently learned on Time Crisis (Ezra Koenig’s radio show) that the show runners actually wanted Vampire Weekend’s M79 for the intro, but for some reason something went awry and they had to compose an original tune. The resemblance is pretty uncanny:

Yeah, Tank! from Cowboy Bebop is a good call. I've literally just watched the final episode of Outlaw Star on Amazon Prime and I never skipped the OP:

Best end credits? FLCL.

Although I love Ghost In The Shell's slightly cheesy rock ending:

8 minutes ago, Benny said:

The GitTS intros are pretty great actually.

Yeah, the opener is really 'better'; I just love the slight cheesiness of Lithium Flower, with the little cameos of each character, and a little Tachikoma Days short as light relief.

Most are forgettable, but when they get it right - the Witch Hunter Robin opener just has the perfect visuals for the song. Tank! and those visuals are completely awesome for Bebop.

And of course you get some mad visuals to match the music. The First Soul Eater opening was a banging tune with great animation behind it.

35 minutes ago, Benny said:

The GitTS intros are pretty great actually.

Yeah this brilliant. It was so sad to hear that the singer, Origa, died a few years back. Such a great voice, and it's worth hunting down the full soundtracks for extra goodness. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

The intro for American Gods is quite cool too

There's that bit with the large American cars and the human head with a sort of spiky VR helmet on that's just pure Ballard, I love it. And the crucified astronaut is straight out of a Warren Ellis comic.