Should I sell up?

dumpster

4 hours ago, simms said:

Its not an area I'm aware of but would TV based consoles be subject to same hardware failure and how easy are they to repair?  I guess it depends on the console, especially ones with moving parts.  There's probably not a single xbox 360 console working in the world right now

Er, I have 7 or so 360s and they all work fine. 

6 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

I dunno, a PS1 copy is the only way you can play it on a CRT via RGB cables and at the correct aspect ratio, etc (which looks absolutely stunning and completely unlike any of the ports). Maybe the 360 port hooked up to a CRT can approximate it, though?

I'd make a CD-R before selling it, at least! :)

That is until the MiSTer PSX core goes live, which won't be long now.

Saturn and N64 cores will follow after that.

Selling SotN would net you enough to build a MiSTer and source a PVM from somewhere. Why would anyone turn down FPGA-based everything up to the DC/PS2 era?

3 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I’ve been meaning to sell my component cable for years and never get around to it. By the time I do they will be pennies I imagine 

There’s also the minor, but possibly crucial issue for me that my main telly (LG OLED) doesn’t even have a component input, so if I do want to actually use it I’ve got to hook it up to the old Panasonic plasma that got shifted to bedroom duty. 

I also remembered I have this GB Micro that goes for some decent dollar sat in my cupboard...

801F14E6-01E2-4FC3-ABC8-61C06A83B4BF.jpeg.cd06096876817091d39f098d8f914945.jpeg

And for a bonus it cost me nothing. 

My mate working teaching English abroad  found a bunch of them a few years ago in some random electronics shop for about £10 each, grabbed a few and gave me one ^_^
I have a silver one already too, so I could sell it, but it makes nice company for...

8DE8AC83-3037-4125-8FB2-3427FB861D04.thumb.jpeg.a474a1d57da1daf360ccfdef58266d34.jpeg

And it’d be a shame to break up such a nice pairing. 

I have a Boxed Mario Kart 8 Wii-U and a stack of games that i've often thought about selling, but the fact that it's soft modded with a hard drive full of games, and it seems to be going up in value (well the gamepad anyway) makes me keep hold of it for the time being. But i'd be as well just selling it, the likelihood of me playing it again is very low.

I always think of it as “how many hours use will get out of [hardware/software]?” For the most part.* So if I owned SOTN, even if it was my favourite game, I would reflect that I would get far more use out of a PS5 in terms of raw hours, whether gaming, streaming or watching Blu-rays, than my old copy of SOTN.

* obv. like most of us, there are retro games and hardware I still regret selling off. Would I rather still have my NGPC and games, or the Wii I sold all that to pay for, for example? The former, in 2021.

I try to keep my collection under control, made easier with MiSTer, ODEs and flash carts for original hardware, but I still like to keep my little rows of Nintendo and Sega retro stuff. I doubt I'll sell anything that's worth megabucks that I own because I don't need the money and do get pleasure from looking at, and playing, these things.

I'm very much in the camp of not selling something that could be considered an investment to buy something that will never retain its initial value. 

Far better to sell and invest in something that will keep climbing that you will also get enjoyment from. 

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

@dumpster I’m suddenly wanting to buy those two Gradius games because I recently got my ps2 to finally read blue discs and my few existing ones are all blue discs so assume these are too? They are a bit on the pricey end though.

Yes both are on blue disks. 

I didn't realise SotN was worth so much now. :D

I'd absolutely sell. I've got several generations worth of old consoles and games in my parents' attic, and as soon as it's safe they're all going straight to CEX.