Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

Goemon

6 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Yes.  I’d even hoped for a 90s ass low bit rate just for nostalgia’s sake.  

Besides a (decent) CRT filter I'd like to see retro-likes feature 2kHz-8kHz LPF audio filters. Shaving the top-end off and giving it some juice makes it sound like it's coming out of a boomy old vintage arcade cab.

The MiSTer spoils everything else.

I'm not the biggest fan, having finished a run with Leo.  It looks great, some of the tracks go way more ham than needed but single player feels a mixed bag.

Unlike every beat em up ever made, there is no meterless superjoy.  Worse, you get hit and you lose some meter, meaning you get even further away from superjoy.  Sure you can taunt for it but things can snowball out of control quickly.  Even worse, you do stuff like dash attack through something, you get super armour.  As in, you get armour but still take the damage.  The attack after the roll will sometimes can in an entirely different direction to what you want.

It's just that little bit too stodgy.  For example you can do the upkick, and either just land or dive kick on descent.  Just let me air combo the dude when they are launched or something.  Do the double jump air attack and you have just that little bit too long to recover on landing.  The bosses get very samey after a while.  Those that don't have some kind on invincibility phase can just get mashed to death.

If you look at the move list it seems geared towards multiplayer which I haven't tried yet.  I can imagine with six on the screen the chaos would be wonderful.  I'm old school and think beat em ups should be doable in one go, where this is a little long (yes I know, if it helps I thought the same with SoR4).  SoR4 maybe the problem.  I want more juggles and combos and stuff and this game goes for something different.

Despite the completely negative post it isn't bad, I just found it alright rather than good.  Probably should not have tried to rush through it in one sitting.

I’ve also done a run through with Leonardo and I really can’t fault the attacks and dodges, they’re very responsive. The enemies and bosses are a bit flat, but that’s how I remember the arcade game too. The animations and sound effects are totally rad and it feels great to play. 

Casey Jones now unlocked!

4 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

How long is it folks? I have played 2 levels and loving it so far. The colour palette is chefs kiss! 

16 stages, which I did in about 2 hours. 

30 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I'd completely forgotten about reshade, doesn't work on the GP version, though.

I was going to use Reshade to dial in a couple of masks, but not sure the game warrants it now. I'm bored already.

15 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Has this got a difficulty setting? 

Three, plus arcade mode, which applies a higher level of challenge. I’ve only tried the middle difficulty so far, and it’s pretty forgiving. 

anybody had problems getting this to work on PC game pass? i click launch, and it seems a window briefly flashes open , but the game does not load?

33 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Xbox buttons are too spongy and d-pad annoyingly clicky.

Still, free on GanePass so can't really complain.

Looks lovely, sounds cool too 

Mines not like that. Could it be a faulty pad? I've had to return mine once for a dodgy stick and they sorted it under warranty.

9 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

anybody had problems getting this to work on PC game pass? i click launch, and it seems a window briefly flashes open , but the game does not load?

Try running the free version of Ccleaner and then reboot your PC. Let it do a clean up and registry clean.

34 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

I had that - an uninstall and reinstall did the trick for me

25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Try running the free version of Ccleaner and then reboot your PC. Let it do a clean up and registry clean.

no idea how that helped, but it did! :D..though i did have to relog in here lol

4 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

no idea how that helped, but it did! :D..though i did have to relog in here lol

It cleans out the temp folder in your browsers so will mean you have to sign back into signs. Neat little program and can solve all sorts of issues :)

This is quite good fun. Though I've already done several stages in Arcade mode and I can already feel fatigue setting in. It's also remarkably easy.

It basically does for Turtles in Time what Streets of Rage 4 did for that series, as the visual and audio presentation is excellent.

However, like Turtles in Time, in terms of gameplay depth, it's a lot of fun, but it's absolutely leagues behind Streets of Rage 4.

So while not the deepest brawler, kind of feels tailor made for knock about multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

This is quite good fun. Though I've already done several stages in Arcade mode and I can already feel fatigue setting in. It's also remarkably easy.

It basically does for Turtles in Time what Streets of Rage 4 did for that series, as the visual and audio presentation is excellent.

However, like Turtles in Time, in terms of gameplay depth, it's a lot of fun, but it's absolutely leagues behind Streets of Rage 4.

So while not the deepest brawler, kind of feels tailor made for knock about multiplayer.

Yeah. I mean, the combat is way ahead of Turtles in Time. As @Fallowsmentioned upthread - not particularly difficult to achieve.

I assume Nickelodeon stuck their oar to keep the overall difficulty / ease of combat in check.

It's... fine, but its no Streets of Rage 4 / Alien vs. Predator.

Watching some streams, seems picking Leo doesn't help matters.  Very dull outside the pizza cutter.  Mikey can bounce off again after a dive kick, and April looks a tonne of fun.  I do like the details like stealing a lot of fighting game moves (Mikey E Honda torpedo, Raph Shoryuken etc).

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

It's better than Streets of Rage 4 because Turtles are cooler than whoever the dimbos in SoR4 are.

However...

https://i.imgur.com/R8YjMu0.jpg

C'mon now.  Just be glad I didn't post Estel.

Spoiler

Yes I know everyone's joking

Well I've already knocked it on the head for the evening. Personally I did find it fun, but definitely not as much fun as Streets of Rage 4. I can play that game for hours and combo up a storm. Especially in the survival mode.

I can see this being great for multiplayer sessions but probably won't have much staying power.

The presentation really is good though.

It's as shallow as a puddle that's almost all but dried up. Even my kid got bored before I did, and TMNT is one of his top 3 IPs behind Star Wars and Ninjago (it rotates...). I only carried on because of the music.

It's one of those games that you walk away from in the arcade before your credit is up.