IGNORED

The Retropie thread - use a Raspberry Pi for the ultimate under-the-TV emulation station!

Mr. Gerbik

Hey,

New RetroPie owner here, bought off a forum user, yay!

In classic n00b style I accessed what I think was a retro arch menu and in trying to figure out how to exit the menu I think I changed a setting somehow and no SNES games will launch anymore. When I open the rom launch menu it is showing 0 emulators available.(screenshot attached)

Anyone know how I can fix this or am I going to have to put a new RetroPie image on the SD card.

All other systems work great.

5E317E9B-B340-46B1-882F-7735A65BE7A2.jpeg

I wasn't keen on Retropie.  I bought Lorf's one but soon passed it on - too much faffing about for my liking.  Have since picked up an Nvidia Shield TV and whacked Retroarch on it and it's just so easy to get up and running.  Much happier with it and it will allegedly run everything up to GC so I'll mainly be using it as a Coryoon player, obviously.

51 minutes ago, Cheeko said:

Hey,

New RetroPie owner here, bought off a forum user, yay!

In classic n00b style I accessed what I think was a retro arch menu and in trying to figure out how to exit the menu I think I changed a setting somehow and no SNES games will launch anymore. When I open the rom launch menu it is showing 0 emulators available.(screenshot attached)

Anyone know how I can fix this or am I going to have to put a new RetroPie image on the SD card.

All other systems work great.

5E317E9B-B340-46B1-882F-7735A65BE7A2.jpeg

Try adding the emulator for snes again, some are not installed by default.

Aha!  Sorted! Thanks, that wasn't quite what was happening, but your suggestion enabled me to figure it out, it said the emulator was installed, I updated from source and that fixed the issue.

Thanks!

Anyone else having specific emulator issues this video helped me figure out how to install them https://youtu.be/bLHh5b2IWxQ

All the talk of the PS1 classic has made me want to dig out my Pi and get it properly up and running. How easy is it to rip PS1 games to a hard drive, and transfer them across to a Pi? The transferring bit seems easy, but is there any really simple software for ripping my old PS1 games from the disk?

• 2 months later...

Quick question - is the 8bitdo SF30 Pro pad any good? Specifically, are the shoulder buttons and triggers any good? It looks nice, but also a bit too thin to be really comfortable playing PS1 games.

Also - some of the CRT filters look really nice, but slow the game down a bit, specifically, the crt-pi-curvature one. Is it easy / worthwhile to overlock a pi?

3 hours ago, K said:

Quick question - is the 8bitdo SF30 Pro pad any good? Specifically, are the shoulder buttons and triggers any good? It looks nice, but also a bit too thin to be really comfortable playing PS1 games.

Might be worth asking that in the Switch thread. Think a lot of people in there invested, on release.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UCreate-Raspberry-Pi-Desktop-Starter/dp/B07BNPZVR7/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1545513304&sr=1-7&keywords=raspberry+pi+3+b%2B

Although before christmas is probably not happening now.

But yeah, get that and many, many of us here will get you set up with no other purchases assuming you have some sort of compatible controller (eg - Wired xbox).

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UCreate-Raspberry-Pi-Desktop-Starter/dp/B07BNPZVR7/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1545513304&sr=1-7&keywords=raspberry+pi+3+b%2B

Although before christmas is probably not happening now.

But yeah, get that and many, many of us here will get you set up with no other purchases assuming you have some sort of compatible controller (eg - Wired xbox).

Cheers for the reply.

Managed to snag that kit from a different seller to arrive tomorrow, so happy days!

So turns out the pi 3 A+ doesn’t run the current releases of RetroPie or Lakka. I think I’ve found a modded image for RetroPie that will but I can burn it until later. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B_knGioK16E6eXJIZEtnMDJTeVk

Edit: Update, it looks like it does work on the 3 A+. currently transferring an iso (slowly).

As I’ve already mentioned on the off topic forum, I stupidly snapped my Rey’s image loaded SD card yesterday when putting my Pi into my sexy new MegaPi case. A new replacement card is coming tomorrow, but it’s been months since I’ve checked out any RetroPie news, are there any better 128gb max images out there now?

Having some serious fun with this kit so far! Have gone for the RetroPie manual approach which seems to have worked well so far.

I'm thinking of installing this in the bedroom but will probably mean I'm going to need a wireless controller.

I see there are some suggestions on the 1st page, but anyone has any views of either? Cheers :)

After a fair amount of experimentation if anyone wants to spend a little more to upgrade their RetroPie I can seriously recommend the Nvidia Shield TV.

Everything the pi can do plus Dreamcast, Saturn, PSP and full speed N64.

Although it's a lot more work to get the interface right since it's by default Android TV.

But on the flipside it's got a Chromecast built in and makes a much better fist of being a Plex server than a Pi.  Plus all the usual Android TV apps, eg - BBC, ITV,  Netflix, Amazon Prime...

19 hours ago, Dudley said:

After a fair amount of experimentation if anyone wants to spend a little more to upgrade their RetroPie I can seriously recommend the Nvidia Shield TV.

Although it's a lot more work to get the interface right since it's by default Android TV.

But on the flipside it's got a Chromecast built in and makes a much better fist of being a Plex server than a Pi.  Plus all the usual Android TV apps, eg - BBC, ITV,  Netflix, Amazon Prime...

What's the going price of the shield atm?

20 hours ago, Dudley said:

Ive struggled with dreamcast on this. Are using reicast?

I appreciate that of course a Shield is better in many, many ways than a Pi, but I still prefer the Pi myself. I love the community effort and the control/ownership of the whole thing. Plus, I am done with Android on the TV. Had various boxes over the years and they're always a pain. Granted the Shield is better, but I wouldn't replace my Pi with one in my instance.

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

What's the going price of the shield atm?

£140 without a controller, £160 with.

It's a pretty good controller but of course it'll use bluetooth and usb just fine.

47 minutes ago, Lumpy said:

I appreciate that of course a Shield is better in many, many ways than a Pi, but I still prefer the Pi myself. I love the community effort and the control/ownership of the whole thing. Plus, I am done with Android on the TV. Had various boxes over the years and they're always a pain. Granted the Shield is better, but I wouldn't replace my Pi with one in my instance.

Yeah, I'm struggling to get the "experience" to be quite as lovely, but N64, Saturn, PSP and Dreamcast is a hell of a draw, plus getting rid of 3 other boxes sitting under the TV.

Pi went to the TV upstairs anyway :)

Is there an easy way to make it so I can stream whatever I’m playing on RetroPie to Twitch? I’ve a Pi 3B.

If so, I presume I’ll need a keyboard to set it all up? :( I couldn’t figure out SSHing to use my phone as a keyboard, without having an actual keyboard to set it up in the first place.

EDIT: http://selsine.com/2016/10/16/how-to-live-stream-to-twitch-from-a-retropie/

Edited by disperse and recoagulate

On 27/12/2018 at 21:09, minstrels said:

I have a question about powering my Pi on and off.

Is it possible to put a switch across the two GPIO pins that can be used to power it back on? It means writing some extra code so I'm not sure if the code can run when Retropie is already on there.

So it seems that for powering the Pi back on using those pins you don't need any extra code. Managed to do the modification today, just got a switch across those two pins so when I turn it off from inside Retropie all I need to do is hit that switch to turn it back on.

DvlwN73XcAAk1zb.jpg

Played through Super Mario Bros. last night. :D

Dvl1FPdXcAAqTwZ.jpg

I’m trying to install retropi on a 64gb sdxc card but once it’s completed the card reads as 50mb capacity? I’m using etcher to create the boot drive as recommended on the retropi website.

Can anyone help me use the whole capacity of the drive? I presume it’s got something to do with fat, fat32 etc but I don’t see how you’re supposed to alter it?

So I bought a pre-built over Christmas with a 8bitdo controller, figured I'd update the firmware on the controller and I have...but now it doesn't automatically connect to the Pi.

Saw some guides for initial connections to the controller, but do I really have to go through that? Shouldn't it be as easy as start + correct button for the controller to find the Pi like it is for the Switch? sigh

Works wired, but yeah, wireless again please.

10 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Unless you write it on Linux you’ll only see the boot partition. Everything else is in an ext4 partition. The installer will resize it on first boot to maximum capacity.

Ahh I see, thanks for that. For some reason it wasn't getting resized for me. I tracked it down in the config screen.

Is there a rom set which people recommend for retropie? I'm seeeing MAME 0.78 mentioned a few places. Is the general consencus that that's the best one to use?

17 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

It depends which emulator you're using. 

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/MAME

Ahh I see, thanks for that. How do I find out what version of mame I’m running? I just downloaded the latest retropie build and made a boot drive with it. Apologies if it’s a daft question, I think my lack of Linux knowledge here is really hindering my progress.