IGNORED

Asterix and the Big Fight - animated series adaptation on Netflix in 2023

Nick R

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/asterix-the-gaul-to-star-in-netflix-animated-series

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netflix-asterix-limited-series-1234705512/

I’m excited to announce that Netflix and France’s leading publisher are teaming up to present Asterix, an iconic figure of French popular culture, to a new generation of worldwide viewers. We’re partnering with Hachette’s Les Editions Albert René to create the first-ever animated limited series based on the timeless classic. Renowned French auteur and playwright Alain Chabat will direct and Alain Goldman (Legende Films) will produce.

Alain Chabat is no stranger to this iconic property. He wrote and directed 2002’s Mission Cléopâtre,’ the most successful of Asterix’s numerous appearances on screen and the third highest-grossing feature film in French history. I’m thrilled that Alain Chabat is coming back to Asterix for the first time since then, and that it's on Netflix. The series will debut in 2023. 

Our series will be adapted from one of the classic volumes, Asterix and the Big Fight, where the Romans, after being constantly embarrassed by Asterix and his village cohorts, organize a brawl between rival Gaulish chiefs and try to fix the result by kidnapping a druid along with his much-needed magic potion. I’m not giving anything away when I tell you, it doesn’t go as planned.

We had a VHS copy of The Twelve Tasks of Asterix in our home, worn out from repeated viewings, but I don't remember thinking any of the other animated adaptations were particularly good (granted, I've not seen any in years, so maybe there have been better films since). Which is a shame, because I loved the books.

Are we still allowed to like Asterix? My memory is hazy but I'm wondering now if there were some pretty awful racial stereotypes in the books that I glossed over.

9 hours ago, revlob said:

Are we still allowed to like Asterix? My memory is hazy but I'm wondering now if there were some pretty awful racial stereotypes in the books that I glossed over.

Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want, providing they are willing to understand and acknowledge that older works may be (deeply) problematic and potentially offensive to other people.

In spite of the racial stereotypes, there's a lot of fun to be in reading the Asterix books (Tintin too) and I loved them both dearly as a child. The problem is that young children are far less able to identify such stereotypes, nor understand that the "anti-racist" slant to Tintin's later adventures are greatly tinged with the acceptable views of the time (eg: the white man's burden of bringing civilisation to the world).

If parents or teachers have time to sit down and explain these things, then great, but that's often not the case and it does the world no favour for such stereotypes to be propagated indefinitely as a result of these books, much as I do love them and would like my niece and my own (hypothetical) kids to read them.