Aliens Fireteam - They mostly come out online, mostly

Harsin

Just completed 1-3 having been slaughtered at the last stage several times. 
I’d got a challenge card that gave double health and it turns out I didn’t need it at all as one of the other players was a medic who kept healing us. 

I've made it to Chapter 2 Part 2 and given up and gone back to rinse the three Parts of Chapter 1.

I'm now running the Demo class with the Marksman Rifle and the Smart Gun with a decent set of perks / mods boosting the rockets.

I've got a few decent upgrades for the guns, mainly aimed toward stability over fire rate, which works ok. My main gripe is still finding humans to play with over the really shitty AI match making is better as it puts me into a lobby now but no-one joins in time forcing the AI as teammates each match. 

I keep dying and then not being picked up by the AI teammates, or getting taken out by the second enemy type while trying to pick up my AI teammates. 

It's annoying, but there is more than enough to keep me playing as I'm only level 7 and eventually match making will get sorted, and the game will be a lot easier to play and get a bit more enjoyment out of.

Insane doesn’t feel too hard with some gear/experience.

Until some random berk brings a flame thrower and takes your health from 100% to 0 in under a second 😡

He means Intense. Just saying.

36 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Insane doesn’t feel too hard with some gear/experience.

Until some random berk brings a flame thrower and takes your health from 100% to 0 in under a second 😡

Finished the campaign (on normal difficulty) I think overall my original critique stands, it's a mediocre linear shooter. It's a distinctly unimagianitive affair and lacks almost everything I want from an aliens game, despite being full of Aliens 😕 

That being said it is better at higher difficulties , and Im looking forward to trying the next one up from intense, I think it might be where the game starts to shine a bit. The higher difficulty distracts from the essantially humdrum game. Having to worry about team damage makes the combat more interesting. 

Spoiler

They do actually introduce some more lightweight enemies later which feel a bit better as you dont expect any feeling of impact when you shoot them. But they also introduce heavier targets too of course. 

I assume everyone here loves the source material and like me dreams for a quality Aliens game one day. (The amazing Alien Isolation excepted of course, but we are talking AlienS right) 

Now Im not saying the 1999 AvP marine missions  had great gunplay, but I had way more fun playing that, it genuinly scared the shit out of me. Oozed atmosphere and tension and was all around great fun. Throwing down flares in pitch black corridors or using night vision. Creeping along checking your motion sensor, panicking as you spot an alien just as a flare goes out and franticly backpedling and shooting wildly in its general direction 🤣

None of which this game comes even close to , I mean the aliens wait until you press a button! "Prepare for battle" it feels like a cookie cutter coop game. As I mentioned before like Worl War Z for example.

I got a bit excited by the final chapter with the Hive but that didnt really deliver either im afraid. 

I am looking forward to extreme difficulty, and maybe horde mode.

So far even playing on Intense Ive only failed a mission once in the whole time and that was due to having some really bad teammates and a nasty game modifier card.

That being said I am still playing it, I am a sucker for Aliens and for unlock progression 😕 And I have had some fun games.

The 2010 AvP game is still great, I’m playing through that again at the moment because playing Fireteam made me want to play a good Aliens game 😅

I remember multiplayer on that being great fun and I like the big, chunky graphics. 

32 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

The 2010 AvP game is still great, I’m playing through that again at the moment because playing Fireteam made me want to play a good Aliens game 😅

I remember multiplayer on that being great fun and I like the big, chunky graphics. 

I just bought AvP 2000 classic on steam 🤣

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah, Rebellion made great Aliens games. I almost got banned from GameSpy for playing co-op on AvP 2000 back in the day. "Hackerrrr!!!" :lol:

Rebellion's first AVP on PC is seared into my mind as one of the most intense things I've ever played. The way the aliens could scuttle freely around the whole level, the randomised nature of enemy spawning, the lack of mid-mission saves and extremely quick and grisly deaths. A brutal, terrifying classic.

33 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Is this game dead on Xbox already? Struggling for the last two days to find anyone online, and when they are the game just boots me out.

They really should’ve put it on Game Pass. I’d be all over it if it was. 

37 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Is this game dead on Xbox already? Struggling for the last two days to find anyone online, and when they are the game just boots me out.

I think the Xbox matchmaking has been totally screwed since launch, it needs a patch urgently.

On 31/08/2021 at 10:50, Padaxes said:

I just bought AvP 2000 classic on steam 🤣

I played it a bit last night, getting to level 3 as marine. It’s like playing on fast forward, everything moves so damn fast! The aliens aren’t difficult, really, they’re just hard to keep track of as they move so quickly and if they do get to you they hit very, very hard and the acid splash is no joke. I also got lost a few times in level 2, having missed switches or air ducts. I made it to the APC at the end of level 2 with just 3 health left :lol:

It still looks surprisingly good, too, although the alien animation looks like it’s missing a few frames and they walk like they’ve shit their…well, not pants, obviously, but you get what I mean. 

Tried 1-1 on extreme it wasnt to bad.  Thought I'd try the recon class so I dialled it back to intense, tried out the flame thrower for the first time too. 

Unfortunatley... we had another flamer dude in our squad and he had ... shall we say ... very little restraint 🤣

Honestly I was in tears of laughter, he barbequed both of us simulataneously at least three times. It got to the point that whenever aliens spawned me and the other guy were hiding behind doors or corners while this maniac went to work. The host quit after he got burned alive for the umpeenth time and the revive didnt arrive in time.

It's great fun and although it's perhaps a little on the slight side at launch it could be fleshed out a lot as the seasonal content comes online.

The biggest issue at the moment is the matchmaking as it really needs both a Quick Play option and Join in Progress. At the moment the 12 separate missions each with 5 different difficulty levels shrinks the player matching pool. 

Not immediately impressed with the Phalanx.

The shield is good if aliens come at your from the front, but they often dont (or swarm past you) and a hit to body from side knocks you out of it.
Perks might improve. OK for advancing down a corridor.

The shock is nice, but you're also limited to CQW. There are better options it feels to thin them at range, although this is a good plan b if that fails the other options feel preferable.

Also the update upgraded everyone's weapons to 4* so try out some new stuff :D

15 hours ago, Hexx said:

Also the update upgraded everyone's weapons to 4* so try out some new stuff :D

So many whining arseholes on Twitter yesterday complaining that the developers had "taken away their grind".  :lol:

14 hours ago, Curtis said:

So many whining arseholes on Twitter yesterday complaining that the developers had "taken away their grind".  :lol:

It does mean it's now impossible to earn the "A personal friend of mine" trophy, making the game impossible to Platinum.

Edit- oh, only CURRENT weapons. I got a new one and it started at zero.

I quite like Technician in this, babysitting an auto sentry.

• 1 month later...

Game over, man!

https://kotaku.com/seven-weeks-after-launch-less-than-800-people-are-play-1847881309

Aliens: Fireteam Elite was released on August 23 to mixed reviews, but on Steam it averaged around or above 10k players for the first few weeks after release. But a lack of content, small updates, and possibly the release of the popular Back 4 Blood recently have killed the player base on PC, with only 792 players online at the time of writing.

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

Bung it on Game Pass already

Yes, please this.

Must admit I stopped playing after about 3 days because I couldn't get a game with more than one other player ever, and they always just pelted it through the levels leaving me and the bot behind, inevitably died then rage quit.

It's a real pity, because it's a great little old-school shooter, full of really deep Alien and Aliens knowledge. The way they've set it decades after Aliens, so they aren't beholden to simply replicating the production design of that movie, is genius.