Aliens Fireteam - They mostly come out online, mostly

Harsin

So I've switched it to private and found that's how you do a match with two bots allowing you to actually play the game. 

I've done the first mission and it's ok, the second mission is a copy of the first with a new Alien Hybrid.

Gutted I can't play with other human players as I think it'll play better that way with genuine jump scares etc. 

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

I'm regretting buying this already! 

I'm getting this every time!

image.jpg

That’s it man, game is already full man, game is already full!

7 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

So I've switched it to private and found that's how you do a match with two bots allowing you to actually play the game. 

I've done the first mission and it's ok, the second mission is a copy of the first with a new Alien Hybrid.

Gutted I can't play with other human players as I think it'll play better that way with genuine jump scares etc. 

I'd suggest popping through without people first so you can explore/expeirnece it.

Each of the 3 missions within the Chapter has the same tileset there are some differences but it's not that different.

Chapter 2 is very different aesthetically. Got to end of Chapter 3 and then lost connect so no rewards for that last part. :(

Spoiler

Fucking Synth enemies though :(

38 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Hide contents

Fucking Synth enemies though :(

See, this always pisses me off with Alien games. 

Spoiler

You have this badass monster, a perfect killing machine but instead of making it amazing and keeping it the sole antagonist, you just throw in some obligatory androids and they’re always, always shit. Even Alien Isolation did it!

Just finished up the second mission after changing my character class to Technician and realizing that you carry over what you don't use up. 

So started the last part of that mission with two extra sentry guns which really made the difference for me. 

Some of these new Alien rules are pretty fun to go against. 

And I do like that it has a story to follow too. 

I like this game. I like that it is to Isolation what Aliens was to Alien. Trashy. A bit wonky. Not scary, but tense. And really fun.

Also, I like the orchestra stabs that are timed to headshots. I like those a lot.

Yet to play with any real people yet, but the synthetics aren’t…that bad.

One thing they should tweak - the Aliens don’t make enough noise. There should be more scuttling.

The last mission on every campaign is hard to do with ai. Had a great game with real players last night. One of them played the ‘don’t die’ card and promptly down themselves stepping on a mine.

This is a decent shooty bug hunt but while playing I do wish it had the first person tension and some of the pacing of isolation so you had that rolling cadence of fear and batshit gun action to mix it up. 

5 hours ago, macosx said:

The last mission on every campaign is hard to do with ai. Had a great game with real players last night. One of them played the ‘don’t die’ card and promptly down themselves stepping on a mine.

This is a decent shooty bug hunt but while playing I do wish it had the first person tension and some of the pacing of isolation so you had that rolling cadence of fear and batshit gun action to mix it up. 

I cannot complete mission 3 with the AI at the moment I get to the last segment and as soon as I make it to the control and start it up the Warrior Aliens just swarm and make mincemeat out of me and the dumb AI just won't pick me up!!

I've tried lots of Sentry Guns but to no avail, so I am currently replaying missions 1-2 to power up my Flame Thrower in the hope of chip damaging all of them.

Be nice if they fixed the online servers so I can get some Human squad mates, but i won't hold my breath.....

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

I cannot complete mission 3 with the AI at the moment I get to the last segment and as soon as I make it to the control and start it up the Warrior Aliens just swarm and make mincemeat out of me and the dumb AI just won't pick me up!!

I've tried lots of Sentry Guns but to no avail, so I am currently replaying missions 1-2 to power up my Flame Thrower in the hope of chip damaging all of them.

Be nice if they fixed the online servers so I can get some Human squad mates, but i won't hold my breath.....

Just leg it to the exit once you’ve pressed Pre flight?

If you’re on PS I’ll come help 

53 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Just leg it to the exit once you’ve pressed Pre flight?

If you’re on PS I’ll come help 

See that's what I've tried, but it's a giant bottleneck and I can't get down the stairs. 

The Tech's Electric Burn Grenade does slow things down a bit but with my two tin men AI & the stupid AI doctor I'm fucked before I start I feel. 

Thanks for the offer, but I'm over on Xbox.

I watched a couple of Twitch streams earlier, and decided I was in. Then I read up, and saw no crossplay, so was back out. However, multiple quotes in the various chats had me hankering to watch the film again.

As I write this, Bishop is in the pilot's seat while Ripley is taping guns together. It's been too long since I watched it, but it has reminded me of how good stuff like this is. I've gotta get in!

How are people finding upgrades on this?

I spent 5k credits to give me Tech a flamethrower rather than a shotgun, and it's terribad.
Also unlock a long rage/slower firing Turrent which seems much less helpful than standard.

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

How are people finding upgrades on this?

I spent 5k credits to give me Tech a flamethrower rather than a shotgun, and it's terribad.
Also unlock a long rage/slower firing Turrent which seems much less helpful than standard.

I use the flamethrower with my Tech and it's great for me through Mission 3 which I had been stuck on. 

I'm just trying to level my Tech up for the slots as it's really cramped at the mo. 

I like the bonus the turret and the ai get when you stay close to your turret, it's really helped me In a pinch.

Nice to see matchmaking still ain't working on day 2 for the Xbox. 

Just spent a couple of hours on this and had a lot of fun. They’ve really nailed the look and feel of the film(s). I suspect your mileage might vary a bit if you haven’t seen Aliens but by that metric you’re likely insane anyway.

Will be on tomorrow eve if anyone fancies some games. Tried mission 1-3 with bots on normal and died just before the end, suspect it’s impossible on harder levels.

The 3rd mission on Standard difficulty recommends a combat rating of 200. Fine, except having completed the 1st and 2nd, I'm at 183, with no actual way of making it higher. So, I played through the 1st mission again, in case something better drops, but all I got different was a weapon decal. 

Thought about trying Casual instead of Standard, but that also wants 200. Decided in the end to just give it a go, as what's the worst that can happen?

Turns out the worst that can happen is you're halfway through and the game just stops giving you waypoints. I'm in a big open room with many doors, and Esther said something about "To the right", but nothing is happening. I can walk back out the way I came in, which brings up the waypoint to that room, but the game doesn't want to let me do anything else. I'd play it online, but either every room fills in a microsecond thus not letting me join, or there's something wrong with matchmaking. 

I don't quite feel like I've wasted £35, because there is definitely a potentially great game here, but it's not the best of starts.

I watched Grimmz play through it yesterday on Twitch. His team had the most fun out of griefing each other up to the last campaign which they said ‘why couldn’t the whole game be like this, this is the game’

Spoiler

But they also joked that that wouldn’t it be funny if it ended with ‘you win the game’ . The actual end was even less rewarding ; it just ends - no cutscene, no final dialogue - nothing, just back to the menu to unlock a new class and horde mode.

I’ve had one bug, starting 1-3 where the first door wouldn’t open. Had to quit out and lost my random pals.

On the plus side, the music is excellent and I also like how when you reload ammo you pick up to full capacity regardless of how much is left in the magazine, so you don’t have to reload first and then pick up ammo.

Enjoying it so far. Second campaign has been great, introducing a new enemy type resulting in some interesting three way battles with your marines caught in the middle. Liking the variety of weapons, though still trying to get used to the pulse rifle as a modular design (here it’s a sniper rifle; now it’s a burst rifle!) and thought that was the devs trying to stretch an iconic design but apparently it is lore in the expanded universe. 

Hopefully the devs can act quickly in addressing issues (they have a discord scheduled for tomorrow, which bodes well) such as matchmaking and get busy with rebalancing and QOL changes as there’s a lot of potential here.

The Doc class in particular doesn’t really make sense right now. Your med station uses med kits, fair enough, but if you’re already carrying one and find another then you can’t load that directly into the med station - you have to use up the one you already have. I think I see what they were going for, as in trying to encourage players to look to the Doc for healing so the Doc can then free up space to recharge the med station. In practise, however, most other players don’t understand how the mechanic works (or don’t give a shit) so they run to grab a first-aid kit and heal themselves. It’s clunky and unintuitive as it stands, making the class almost an irrelevance, so hopefully that changes soon.