Another day, another “top 30 games”

“But this one has ‘official’ in the title? I hear you cry.

then answer me this: who are these clowns?

https://www.thegamer.com/most-important-90s-video-games-all-time/?fbclid=IwAR2s8_BhuCm1WZaRrMf7Nnt5CTCXCLex0vqlPU1NAW6n42DWkEIX2LQpZJ

no no, don’t bother clicking, Street Fighter II is #27 And #1 is:

Spoiler

Unreal Tournament 

I shit you not. I mean, I liked that game. Played it a lot, was even in a clan, and a regular contributor to alt.games.[spoileralert] but over and above the other 29 games in that list?

That’s how you know it’s clickbait.

They just want the traffic.

or does it have some merit?

Lot of PC dogshit there.

Let me just click my little mouse.

Press Shift to run.

Absolute scenes at my dad's desk.

386? Fuck that shit! 486.

Where's disk nine? 

Not my 90s.

I think it’s a pretty decent list to be fair. Most of the games have merit and many of them went on to launch a thousand ships or were highly influential on their genre. 

I get the impression they’re not really doing the list in order as none of the text really talks about why they are in those positions. It’s more about them being in the top 30 somewhere. Reorder it as you like. 

UT being at number one does seem extreme but, it’s a pretty definining title for the online FPS and doing lists with the same games in all the time is boring. 

Just so people can actually discuss this list, which in turn clashes with @SeanR's wishes of not giving them a click, here's a Google Archive Link.

As for UT98's inclusion: Well, I am a big fan of the game. It's also one of the pioneers of trying to shoehorn 3D graphics rendering any way it can without requiring dedicated hardware (which was a big boon to a poor kid like me slumming it with a K6 at the time until I bought a TNT2 for Quake 3). It still speaks volumes that no Quake games were not mentioned in the article, mind.

Also, Tekken 1 is just a strange inclusion. I mean, I definitely wanted it at launch, but in terms of sheer newness Destruction Derby and Wipeout were more amazing. I felt like Tekken as a series didn't really take off in the public eye until Tekken 3 (although 2 was absolutely fantastic at the time)

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

“But this one has ‘official’ in the title? I hear you cry.

then answer me this: who are these clowns?

https://www.thegamer.com/most-important-90s-video-games-all-time/?fbclid=IwAR2s8_BhuCm1WZaRrMf7Nnt5CTCXCLex0vqlPU1NAW6n42DWkEIX2LQpZJ

no no, don’t bother clicking, Street Fighter II is #27 And #1 is:

Reveal hidden contents

Unreal Tournament 

I shit you not. I mean, I liked that game. Played it a lot, was even in a clan, and a regular contributor to alt.games.[spoileralert] but over and above the other 29 games in that list?

That’s how you know it’s clickbait.

They just want the traffic.

or does it have some merit?

Theif is there really high up......but where the f*** is Deus Ex?

Always the problem with these lists all very personal. Everybody remembers the seminal games that appealed to them. Also these lists would be better without numbers headlined with something like "30 games that defined 90s gaming for me" or something similar. In that article for example it says "Officially Ranked" by who? What are the metrics? Sales numbers? Popularity? Who knows.... Don't like these list things. Have a book called "1001 games to play before you die" which is kind of cool. Nice little rundown of the game and a few screenies. Problem is its actually difficult to play the games when they get older as you need specific hardware if there isn't an emulator available.

There are truly some genre defining classics in that list however many just flew past me as I wasn't interested in that genre at all back then. Anyway. Sometimes the good thing about lists like this as you get older you might actually want to revisit some games that you missed as your taste in games has changed over the years.

Super Mario Kart at 25? I think that should maybe be a bit higher.

2 hours ago, Marlew said:

Absolute scenes at my dad's desk.

Aaaaah, that explains a lot.

Me and my friends played loads of tekken and tekken 2 round peoples houses, but I didn't have a ps1 myself.

The 90s were mostly amiga and nes in my house, I think.

Mostly public domain games, but Knights of the sky was probably the game I played the most in my bedroom.

Got a bit obsessed with that. There was something about the slow framerate and the weird abstract 3d graphics that properly drew me into the world. I'd get totally mesmerised.

54 minutes ago, Siri said:

Also, Tekken 1 is just a strange inclusion. I mean, I definitely wanted it at launch, but in terms of sheer newness Destruction Derby and Wipeout were more amazing. I felt like Tekken as a series didn't really take off in the public eye until Tekken 3 (although 2 was absolutely fantastic at the time)

No, that’s not true. I wouldn’t rank DD in with either, but Wipeout and Tekken were the essential brands of PlayStation from the get go - which one was more important in terms of public perception will be down to who you ask I think, but for me it would definitely be Tekken.

Anybody remember the d&b tune ‘Tekken’ that came out, where the only discernible connection was it included the sound of the shoulder dislocation that one of the fighters used to do? Paul maybe? 

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

It's almost as if the list was done in chronological order.....

I'm more annoyed by the phrase 'ranked by year' in the introduction than by the list itself.

19 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I had to wait my turn as they gruffly insisted it was "winner stays on" so when I got my go I nervously stayed just out of range and jabbed away with Law and won in straight rounds. I was delighted! I waited to see  who my next opponent would be but I was told "fuck off wee man" and that was the end of my Tekken career.

Your Tekken career may have ended, but your strategy of annoying your opponents to death lives on!

dan-mshwin.gif.7b889327913b05db292ac99c5ab0e976.gif

In terms of influence Unreal should be in some lists, not least because the engine it spawned now powers everything from well... Mass Effect to Tetris Effect.

No Diablo is the biggest omission for me. It's the genesis of the loot shooter (despite, obviously, not being a shooter...) and a trojan horse for bringing rogue-like mechanics in to the mainstream.

Crazy Taxi is a game I personally love but don't think has exerted much influence on gaming since.

16 minutes ago, matt0 said:

No Diablo is the biggest omission for me. It's the genesis of the loot shooter (despite, obviously, not being a shooter...) and a trojan horse for bringing rogue-like mechanics in to the mainstream.

Yeah, dude - Hell, Diablo II is still the measuring stick used to compare every single ARPG to date, including its own sequel as will the remaster that's literally built on top of the original game. It was also the poster game for long-tail PC support after they patched it in 2010.

21 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Crazy Taxi is a game I personally love but don't think has exerted much influence on gaming since.

I can’t even remember which Simpson game rips it off? Hit and Run? 

44 minutes ago, Benny said:

Is it time for us to do the Rllmuk top 100 again?

Top 100 greatest games of the 90s, the greatest decade of gaming, sure. That's what you meant wasn't it, a poll of the 90s, the greatest decade for games, not including the rubbish decades that sit next to it, just the 90s, the greatest decade of gaming. Is that what you meant. 

Also, i think the person compiling this list forgot about Tony Hawk's Pro Skater when he was, among other things, putting Crazy Taxi at number 3. 

21 hours ago, SeanR said:

I can’t even remember which Simpson game rips it off? Hit and Run? 

Road Rage is Crazy Taxi.

Hit and Run is Grand Theft Auto.

Not wonderful naming for 2 games released quite close I grant you.