IGNORED

Games you want but can't find

Stejay

On 07/06/2021 at 17:42, Stejay said:

Typically, Cottage Garden is out of stock everywhere now I’ve decided that I really, really want it.

There are two copies on sale in the UK, on BoardGameGeek. There's a new copy that's French, but the game is language independent, you'd just need to download the rules.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/browse?objecttype=thing&objectid=204027&pageid=1&currency=GBP

• 3 months later...
On 22/09/2021 at 11:01, jonnyalpha said:

@Stejay Did you ever find Cottage Garden?

I'm away from home for a few days but am fairly sure I still have a copy of Cottage Garden in my sell pile if you're still interested.

Yeah, I grabbed a German copy from someone on BGG.  I just haven't updated my total in the purchases thread yet.  Thanks though.

• 3 months later...
On 11/04/2021 at 12:12, shynra said:

How about not cheap - but fancy:

I am tempted myself... 

I backed the Kickstarter around the time of your post... and they finally arrived today.  (Apparently the shipment was stuck on that boat in the Suez canal for a while...)

They are.... well, they're little plastic trains :)  They look exactly like the ones in the video and it's really nice that the score markers stack together as we always seem to have 3 or 4 people with the same score for the first half of the game.

My only comment would be the black set seems very narrow and spindle-y compared to the others - I guess just an attribute of the style they were going for.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is more of a 'can't find at a price i'm willing to pay' but keeping an eye out for LNoE Timber Peak at the moment. It's available in the US, and looks like I can get a copy from ebay for ~£65 but it's one thing i'd probably rather not chance it with on global shipping. It's a shame Zombicide seemed to take the mantle of top zombie game as I think LNoE is the better game (with an expansion or two).

An original boxed edition of Car Wars Deluxe.

I've always been absolutely fascinated by the game, despite never playing it! When the Deluxe version was originally released I saw it in a shop and it seemed to suggest that it wasn't now just cars, but also stuff with boats too! This seemed to be the coolest thing ever at the time.

I can't bring myself to pick up a second hand copy though because I have a feeling that I might be slightly disappointed.

18 hours ago, JoeK said:

An original boxed edition of Car Wars Deluxe.

I've always been absolutely fascinated by the game, despite never playing it! When the Deluxe version was originally released I saw it in a shop and it seemed to suggest that it wasn't now just cars, but also stuff with boats too! This seemed to be the coolest thing ever at the time.

I can't bring myself to pick up a second hand copy though because I have a feeling that I might be slightly disappointed.

Years ago, I collected a bunch of the Car Wars stuff, including this. I still have it all. Though all mixed up and packed down into a folder and an old cigar box.

Nostalgia encourages me to keep it, despite my memories of actually playing it being that it rarely lived up to the promises it made.

The mats would never fold out flat, the cardboard bits would shift easily in a breeze despite precision placement and movement being critical. The rules were all a lot harder work than you expected them to be. They also contained some funny abstractions. For example (and I am probably remembering this inaccurately): You can't commit suicide by shooting yourself in the head with a Magnum .44. The gun does 1 DMG. You have 2 HP. So it reduces you to 1 HP which means unconscious. When you wake up you get your HP back.

Still, fond memories through rose tinted glasses.

The original Car Wars plastic pack was the most fun - simple and direct. Few years later and you had a gajillion supplements, roleplaying rules, Uncle Al gadgets all overloading the base game of quick tactical battles.