Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon

My 26 y/o sister was buzzing about this asking if I’d seen it and I was like yeah, looks rough. And she was like shut up, don’t ruin it for me. And she was quite right to do so. She grabbed my mums face earlier and told her “THERE’S A NEW POKEMON GAME COMING OUT IN 2022 AND I’M SO EXCITED.” No need to let these people into bad frame rates and all that shit. Let them buzz.

*Publisher shows obvs work in progress footage

Gamers: “This looks like the worst thing every with shitty textures running at 15 fps waaah!” 

*Publisher shows target render footage

Gamers: “FAKE! Bullshot! They’ve down

graded it!” 

There's at least two things to keep in mind regarding the technical state of the game:

-This is the earliest we've seen a mainline Pokémon game before it's release in quite some time. Most of the new gens have typically been shown of about 6 to 9 months before launch. If this launches in March 2022 then Game Freak has a lot of time to fix any potential issues. Especially considering this trailer was probably made with an earlier build of the game.

-Quite a number of games on the Switch were revealed much closer to release then this and also got significant visual upgrades before shipping. Most notably Luigi's Mansion 3, which went from uprezzed 3DS port to Pixar movie-level animation between its reveal in August 2018 and its E3 showing in June 2019. Other games that underwent notable visual changes and upgrades are Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses,  Pokemon Sword/Shield, etc.

I've seen some argue the point "BuT ThEy ShOwEd iT iN ThIs StAtE!!!!" but this hasn't been the first time that's been done by either The Pokemon Company or Nintendo. And even then, significant visual upgrades happen pretty close to release.

I know a lot on here are criticising the state of the trailer but i'm realy stoked for this, it's a branch away from the current trend of pokemon games and for anyone who has played the games since the originals it's quite exciting. I mean for me this is what I expected with the Switch and not the same sort of stuff that has come before but easier in lets go and sword and shield.

The trailer not being so good doesn't phase me at this stage, they haven't announced the exact date in 2022 only that it's early which can mean anything in the first 6 months really. If a lot of the world building, story etc is most of the way their and there is more polishing than creating over the next year then it's going to look a lot more buttery smooth than the trailer shows.

There's also the consideration that many of the complaints about the trailer really won't bother fans of these games, they don't play pokemon for the frame rates

On 27/02/2021 at 07:30, Mr. Gerbik said:

I never gave a fuck about Pokemon. But since I'm into games, I know all about it and I can tell you that ever since the N64 days and the arrival of polygonal open world games every single pokelover has been requesting a big boy console open world Pokemon game. Over and over again. 

And now here it is finally - but alas it doesn't look good enough.

It might not at 12+ months before release date,but as refined or polished as we are used to with Nintendo content but it's still potentially a huge step up from the current iteration of games and could open the doors to more development in the future.

On 27/02/2021 at 22:21, Openrob said:

I mean, just from a *trailer* standpoint, it's really bad. The edit, use of music, the pace - it's just flat.

It being a work in progress is not the issue, that's fine.  It's the lack of good presentation in what should be a huge announcement that's odd.

It wasn't a great trailer admittedly but bare in mind it didn't need to be, just the fact this is happening will get an awful lot of pokemon fans (myself included) excited, finally a change in direction and hopefully a game aimed at those of us who grew up with and were fans of the original stuff.

I'll be picking it up ^_^

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I know a lot on here are criticising the state of the trailer but i'm realy stoked for this, it's a branch away from the current trend of pokemon games and for anyone who has played the games since the originals it's quite exciting. I mean for me this is what I expected with the Switch and not the same sort of stuff that has come before but easier in lets go and sword and shield.

The trailer not being so good doesn't phase me at this stage, they haven't announced the exact date in 2022 only that it's early which can mean anything in the first 6 months really. If a lot of the world building, story etc is most of the way their and there is more polishing than creating over the next year then it's going to look a lot more buttery smooth than the trailer shows.

There's also the consideration that many of the complaints about the trailer really won't bother fans of these games, they don't play pokemon for the frame rates

It might not at 12+ months before release date,but as refined or polished as we are used to with Nintendo content but it's still potentially a huge step up from the current iteration of games and could open the doors to more development in the future.

It wasn't a great trailer admittedly but bare in mind it didn't need to be, just the fact this is happening will get an awful lot of pokemon fans (myself included) excited, finally a change in direction and hopefully a game aimed at those of us who grew up with and were fans of the original stuff.

I'll be picking it up ^_^

I'll wait and see

I still have memories of those GameCube 'open world' RPG Pokémon games that were not very good at all haha.

1 minute ago, Openrob said:

I'll wait and see

I still have memories of those GameCube 'open world' RPG Pokémon games that were not very good at all haha.

Fortunately I never got into the gamecube so the likes of gales of darkness passed me by ^_^