IGNORED

Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

mdn2

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I doubt it'll be shit because it's Pokémon. It's just not going to live up to its potential.

Pretty much this. It'll be mostly enjoyable for fans of Pokemon, but the franchise hasn't seen fit to push itself past 'mostly enjoyable' for a very long time now. People treat the games like they're utter dross because of it, and they're not. They're just... mostly enjoyable.

Retail copies have started getting out due to retailers breaking street date. Laura Kate Dale has a nice thread about the game, having played it for 40 hours straight. Very positive impressions overall.

I imagine she slept and ate something but for the time it’s been obtainable it’s clear that was some hefty commitment.

She talks about it being 60fps before walking back on that and saying the smoothing mode on her tv caused some confusion. That or she’s got a yar copy running at 60fps* rather than running an official game card snagged early.

*is this possible? Can those switch emulators just bump everything into 60?

16 minutes ago, Strafe said:

*is this possible? Can those switch emulators just bump everything into 60?

That depends how the game is coded.

If it's coded to run as fast as it can (maybe with a max of 60fps) then more powerful hardware means it just runs at 60fps and stabilises it. No dips. Great. If it has a max/cap then it doesn't suddenly do 120fps.

If it's coded to try to run at a specific rate (say 30fps) and if a frame takes less than 1/30th of a second to process then it would simply wait until 1/30th of a second has passed since it started that frame then start the next. Now more powerful hardware just means more waiting time between frames.

The later requires some code change (mod or similar) to tweak the game loop somehow and stop it from waiting.

And of course there are all sorts of variations

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I imagine she slept and ate something but for the time it’s been obtainable it’s clear that was some hefty commitment.

I put 50 hours into Spiderhyphenman between the 26th and 31st December :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

When are we expecting reviews for this? 

i am fairly sure they havent allowed them for this so officially it will be after launch. I have read some positive things on the internet with early copies getting out.

however if you are on the fence i would wait for some proper reviews ^_^