Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

mdn2

49 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Graphically, it looks atrocious. Mechanically, looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I defintely wouldn't go that far, and stick with 'a bit rough'. 

As I said, I might be on board with the new gameplay mechanics and open world gameplay, after series fatigue with the vanilla 'mon games.

Pokémon Legends: Arceus may look visually rough but IMO it may be the game in the franchise I’ve been waiting for as Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl bored me.  They look nice, but I’ve played that same core game over & over with each instalment & Arceus at least looks like it’s trying to move the core gameplay forward.

Does that look bad? I thought it looked brilliant. I admit I’ve been playing Skyward Sword, Garou: Mark of the Wolf and Axiom Verge all day, so my perception might be a bit screwed, but it’s certainly very vivid and colourful. 

I was ready to skip this one after kinda having to force myself to finish Sword, but I’m definitely interested again. 

Oh Christ, there’s also a remake of Diamond and Pearl coming in November. :lol:

Rinse rinse rinse!

Pokemon Legends Arceus seems to be a single edition, is that right?

12 hours ago, Popo said:

Oh Christ, there’s also a remake of Diamond and Pearl coming in November. :lol:

Rinse rinse rinse!

Pokemon Legends Arceus seems to be a single edition, is that right?

Correct, though it will still have trading between players according to info on the website.

• 1 month later...

I quite liked the look of it in the last trailer, but yea… what was I smoking? It looks ropey even by the standards we’ve come to expect from Gamefreak. The very epitome of a ‘will this do?’ visual upgrade. 

I think it's just very poor art direction. The identikit rows of houses in the town, the lack of details in the interiors, the lack of any life in the outdoors area... it wouldn't be so noticeable had it been an upgrade from SwoShi, but it looks the same or possibly slightly worse.

Day One, though :lol:

Yeah, I don't get it honestly. This isn't what we were used to from the big N. But this, the new Kirby game, the fact that WayForward is doing Advance Wars, Mercury Steam doing Metroid, all seem to point to a company that seems to lack the necessary resources to release a lot of quality titles.

It looks a bit barren as well. Same thing I would say about Legends really. Of course with The Forgotten World it's still early days, but even though I like were it's going it seemed to me it didn't have the polish of previous Kirby games.

Kirby looked great, this looks decent. 

Could be better sure but that's Pokemon for you, why bother spending more time/money making it look better when it'll sell by the boatload no matter what it looks like. They were basically selling Gameboy games for decades. 

22 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Could be better sure but that's Pokemon for you, why bother spending more time/money making it look better when it'll sell by the boatload no matter what it looks like. They were basically selling Gameboy games for decades. 

Yeah. That's probably it. Damn you gamefreak.

Not an open world BotW style 'mon game, but a Monster Hunter style 'mon game apparently:

In Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Jubilife Village will serve as the base for surveying missions. After receiving an assignment or a request and preparing for their next excursion, players will set out from the village to study one of the various open areas of the Hisui region. After they finish the survey work, players will need to return once more to prepare for their next task. We look forward to sharing more information about exploring the Hisui region soon.

I'm not sure comparisons with Monster Hunter are going to do this any more favours than with BotW, really. Rise is probably the slickest thing I've played on the console and this.....won't be that.