Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022

Having you complete the region's first Pokedex seems smart. I think Pokemon games often suffer from the world around you being so well established and understood, and tend to lack a real feeling of discovery as a result. 

Nintendo fans: last Nintendo Direct was shit, they didn't show anything

Also Nintendo fans: that open world Pokemon game that's and major departure for the series and they are showing really early is rough as fuck 

I do wonder if they are targeting Switch Pro, though. 

As a proof of concept type thing it's quite cool as to how an open worldy Pokemon could work. As an actual trailer for a videogame that is supposed to be releasing next year it's running at 15FPS and looks dog rough. Hopefully it'll get the love/delays it needs. 

37 minutes ago, kensei said:

Nintendo fans: last Nintendo Direct was shit, they didn't show anything

Also Nintendo fans: that open world Pokemon game that's and major departure for the series and they are showing really early is rough as fuck 

So don't do either then? It's not like the choice is showing sod all at a Direct or showing games running at 15fps. If you don't have much to show it's probably just better to not have a big Direct and instead release information about the games you do have on an individual basis over a period of time. And if your game looks and runs like shit either wait or show a teaser trailer or something. First impressions count, see Halo Infinite's uphill battle.

3D Pokémon games running like crap is expected at this point. The Max Raid battles in Sword / Shield cause the frame rate to plummet and I expect Legends will have the same problem.

11 minutes ago, Majora said:

So don't do either then? It's not like the choice is showing sod all at a Direct or showing games running at 15fps. If you don't have much to show it's probably just better to not have a big Direct and instead release information about the games you do have on an individual basis over a period of time. And if your game looks and runs like shit either wait or show a teaser trailer or something. First impressions count, see Halo Infinite's uphill battle.

and let Pokemon's 25th anniversary go unmarket? Thousands didn't die at the Poke-Sommé for that shit

I can't wait for the internet to suck every drop of joy and excitement out of this with complaints about bad graphics, terrible frame rates, lack of content, "MY FAVOURITE POKEMON ISN'T IN IT", and whatever new shit they come up with this time round.

Meanwhile, I think it looks pretty cool. It might have a fun story, but probably won't. Maybe it will be the MMO-alike everyone wants, but probably won't. Just add some multiplayer functionality into what we already have in the Wild Area and DLCs for SwSh, and that will do me. If you're playing Pokémon for anything other than collecting the beasties for turn-based battles against other players you're totally missing the point. 

1 hour ago, Majora said:

If you don't have much to show it's probably just better to not have a big Direct and instead release information about the games you do have on an individual basis over a period of time. 

This is literally what Nintendo have done for the last year or so and everyone moaned about that, too. 

Christ you lot - here's a game coming next year - at least 11 months away, and yet 'looks rough' 'framerate dodgy' is instantly slapped on it.

You moan when they don't show stuff, you moan when they do show stuff. They can't win.

Whilst I’m looking forward to it, i’d say the current footage is a definite showing why Pokèmon chasing the Triple A model is not a good idea. Game Freak aren’t up to the task and Pokèmon as a series brings an inherent scale problem with it.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

I can't wait for the internet to suck every drop of joy and excitement out of this with complaints about bad graphics, terrible frame rates, lack of content, "MY FAVOURITE POKEMON ISN'T IN IT", and whatever new shit they come up with this time round.

Meanwhile, I think it looks pretty cool. It might have a fun story, but probably won't. Maybe it will be the MMO-alike everyone wants, but probably won't. Just add some multiplayer functionality into what we already have in the Wild Area and DLCs for SwSh, and that will do me. If you're playing Pokémon for anything other than collecting the beasties for turn-based battles against other players you're totally missing the point. 

Exactly this. I think sword and shield are pretty good actually. Plus my son said he wants all 3 games that they showed. I have a feeling Pokémon is here to stay...

I'm 37 and was too old for the original pokemon craze. I've tried a few times and never enjoyed the games - you have to have nostalgia for the originals. 

This, however, might be cool, it's interesting that Nintendo is experimenting with applying lessons from BotW to its other properties. I'd be interested in a Metroid - Laser Blast of the Wild type of thing. 

Certainly I'd far rather kids playing this in their millions than free to play crap on phones. 

4 hours ago, Majora said:

No way in hell this launches early 2022. Looks rough as fuck.

Sword and Shield looked worse graphically.

This franchise has really stopped putting any effort in, because they know they'll get all the money anyway.

I got properly into it in my 40s thanks to Pokemon Go. Since then, it's made me buy both Pokemon Let's Gos with the balls, and both Sword and Shield and DLCs. Holy shit, that's $240. 

edit - :lol: perfect series of posts, there.

I never gave a fuck about Pokemon. But since I'm into games, I know all about it and I can tell you that ever since the N64 days and the arrival of polygonal open world games every single pokelover has been requesting a big boy console open world Pokemon game. Over and over again. 

And now here it is finally - but alas it doesn't look good enough.

• mdn2 changed the title to Pokémon Legends Arceus announced - Open world BotW style ye olde Pokémon - Jan 2022