PS Plus March 2021 - FF7 Remake, Remnant, Maquette & Farpoint

I wonder how much of the budget of Maquette was spent getting Bryce Dallas Howard and her husband for the voice over. 

On 03/03/2021 at 15:36, Uncle Mike said:

I think it's the apparent speed and the skatiness of it. No headbob etc. You're gliding around quite rapidly, and maybe it's quite a wide FOV?

I think, generally, wider FOVs make you less sick, and there’s an option in the menus to dial it up, but seeing the rest of the discussion of it in here, I don’t think I’ll be bothering. 

Still, worth the download just to hear that cover of San Fransiscan Nights. 

2 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

Final Fantasy 7 remake has absolutely ruined my entire childhood.

Hide contents

It's pronounced May-ko, not Mah-ko!

You sir, are wrong. 

Having played the FF VII Remake demo and bounced off it, I’m glad to say I’m getting something out of it now that it’s come to PS Plus; and it’s the first game to really make me glad I subbed. The battles can be quite fiddly - it’s obviously designed for the player to read the enemy attack and respond, but the window of opportunity is so narrow it makes Dark Souls seem generous - and I’ve gotten mangled on a few occasions already, and I’ve only just beaten the scorpion boss. But still, good fun, and much better than FF XV, by comparison. 

Just to counterbalance the negative response to Maquette a bit, I've been really enjoying working through the puzzles with my daughter, and the nested worlds and scales are a great mechanic used fairly well. No, it doesn't really explain much at all, though what you need to do next is almost always quite obvious, at least in hindsight. (That is, something was almost always hinting at it, or it involved using the only thing you had available, etc.) I've had a good number of 'ah ha!' moments, which is surely much of the point of a puzzler. Or, um, an episode of Alan Partridge.

That said, I can't even remotely counter the other main gripe: the storyline. It is absolutely abysmally written, acted and presented. I strongly suspect not a single person will ever play this game and give the slightest shit about the relationship described therein. It's entirely baffling really, because I cannot conceive of how anyone would think this staggeringly mundane tale of two people that get together then, shock horror, discover they aren't as great together as they thought and kinda gently drift apart in an entirely uneventful manner would ever capture anyone's interest.

So yeah, if there was a 'disable the shitty plot interruptions' mode then it'd maybe be an 8/10 for me, but in practice it's somewhere around a 6. Perfectly happy with it as a PS+ offering though.

6 hours ago, Popo said:

The battles can be quite fiddly - it’s obviously designed for the player to read the enemy attack and respond, but the window of opportunity is so narrow it makes Dark Souls seem generous - and I’ve gotten mangled on a few occasions already, and I’ve only just beaten the scorpion boss. 

Sometimes you just have to block, it’s not an action RPG in the usual sense and I-frames are much less of a thing here

2 hours ago, Triple A said:

Sometimes you just have to block, it’s not an action RPG in the usual sense and I-frames are much less of a thing here

Absolutely, and that’s what I struggle with; I should probably take it to the FFVII:R thread, but sometimes registering that the little attack indicator has appeared above the enemy’s head takes longer than it does for the enemy to then execute the attack, or at least the attack begins before Cloud has completed his own current attack animation, making blocking impossible. I’m not sure if the game wants me to go balls to the wall on hammering attack, because the boss is such a tank and takes ages to go down, or wants me to play tactically, by paying close attention to enemy attacks; whether it wants me to take lots of damage and heal later, like an RPG, or dodge and block skilfully, like a Soulsborne. 

I'm trying very hard to like Maquette but the performance is awful with jerky stuttering, when you get to Giant Land it takes *forever* to get anywhere, and I've ended up stuck twice now meaning a previous save reload. The idea is great, it's beautiful, but it's just a bit broken.

Not that it bothers me, but I've found quite a few bits where there's been missing object pieces too, like walls not quite finished or rocks with no underneath.

The speed you move at is pretty aggravating in the largest world, yeah, especially when you need to experiment a bit. Glitchy physics and physics puzzles are not exactly a match made in heaven either (much like the protagonists, eh). It's definitely far from perfect but I think I've probably figured out each puzzle just about quickly enough to avoid too much frustration.

Maquette feels like a PS3 game, kind of in a good way. It really evokes the era of Unfinished Swan and Proteus and when it was exciting to play a game that 'wasn't really a game' and all that. I miss being intrigued and surprised by games attempting something different. Unfortunately, on the PS5, I am a lot less forgiving of its familiar tropes and shonky performance. I've played enough games like this which are better. 

The “house puzzle” near the end is incredibly frustrating - you just can’t control the object you’re carrying accurately enough to drop it in exactly the right place.

The final section is a massive chug-fest for the framerate too. Dread to think how the PS4 version fares when the PS5 version doesn’t.

Yeah that house puzzle should have just locked into place, a real nuisance trying to position the piece while fighting with the way it restricts your movement, like holding a big powerful magnet.

One other puzzle involved a lever which opens a distant door and I took 20 minutes to solve it because it had bugged out and the lever didn't activate anything at all. I spent all that time wandering the area and placing the one movable item in increasingly ludicrous positions until I just restarted and it was straightforward.

Great concept for a game but fell way short of what I hoped it would do.

Started and finished Maquette tonight. 

It’s a cool idea but the game’s system isn’t consistent making me second guess constantly. 

Spoiler

Very annoying bit was the second chapter, keeping you from dropping out of your scale into the bigger one with an invisible wall, only to make it a solution later on.   

Having to manipulate the red crystal inside the house from the outside was also so hacky and clumsy that it felt like I was glitching the game. 

And yes, the house-puzzle was a massive pain without snapping controls.

Despite all that it was a nice but short game. I’m not sure its story and emotional beats managed to come across, let alone them connecting well with the in-game events. 

Interesting experience, messy execution. 

15 minutes ago, Junker said:

Unfinished Swan is a million times better than Maquette. 

totally agree. I’d also recommend Superliminal which Maquette can be more easily compared to.

superliminal isn’t without its faults and the odd technical hitch but the puzzles are way more interesting and the wrapping around them is far better than in Maquette.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I just started Remnant: From the Ashes. Seems alright so far, but I can't help feel that it's an infinitely better game when played with others.

I just started it too. The gunplay and feel are excellent but the world is just a bit too brown and uninteresting. It doesn't help that a lot of enemies materialise out of nowhere so nothing feels like it actually inhabits the space. I've had a good few hours out of it but not sure this is a keeper.

Does it get any better?

11 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I just started it too. The gunplay and feel are excellent but the world is just a bit too brown and uninteresting. It doesn't help that a lot of enemies materialise out of nowhere so nothing feels like it actually inhabits the space. I've had a good few hours out of it but not sure this is a keeper.

Does it get any better?

I definitely think it does. Mechanically it won't radically change – although you'll unlock more weapons and abilities, which freshens things up – but there's a diversity to the environments and enemies that the initial ruined city belies.

If you're getting some enjoyment from it I'd recommend at least making it to the Labyrinth. You'll reach it just after defeating a certain boss:

Spoiler

a dragon.

It's a shame it doesn't seem to be getting a 60fps patch on PS5/XSX.

8 hours ago, Ferine said:

I definitely think it does. Mechanically it won't radically change – although you'll unlock more weapons and abilities, which freshens things up – but there's a diversity to the environments and enemies that the initial ruined city belies.

If you're getting some enjoyment from it I'd recommend at least making it to the Labyrinth. You'll reach it just after defeating a certain boss:

Reveal hidden contents

a dragon.

It's a shame it doesn't seem to be getting a 60fps path on PS5/XSX.

Cool, the mechanics are excellent. I will see if I can get to the next stage but I'm also finding it bastard hard.