Sifu

simms

Yeah I've definitely found playing it a bit dark-soulsy - i.e. wait / bait attacks and counter - is the way to go.  Even if it does feel about 1000x the speed of souls!! :D

I'm finding it best to almost treat the thing as a puzzle game in many ways. You definitely need to really pay attention to the layout of the rooms, as there's plenty of opportunities to turn the tide in battles.

Mostly, this involves looking for bottles, throwing them at people, rushing them and attempting to beat them a pulp.

It sometimes works!

When playing earlier I found myself starting to learn the patterns of the second boss, but it's the two cunts before him that are ruining it for me now. I can't handle watching for a pattern of one enemy while also worrying about being attacked by the other.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

When playing earlier I found myself starting to learn the patterns of the second boss, but it's the two cunts before him that are ruining it for me now. I can't handle watching for a pattern of one enemy while also worrying about being attacked by the other.

These two are big run breakers for me. Going into level 3 early forties, but of I could just figure out a good way to wipe the floor with these it would be way lower. Proper little daft rude words they are. 

Will figure them out and kick there teeth in tomorrow hopefully. 

The insane jerky camera movement in the trailers makes me nauseous. Is it having that effect on anyone in play? Is the camera movement exaggerated in the trailers, or does being in control lessen the constant ’lurching’ sensation?

I've played twice until I died of old age on stage 2 tonight, has been really great.  I've stopped mashing combos, what works loooooads better on the first level is just one or two hits then the back > forward heavy attack sweep move.  If you notice enemies block, stop attacking and get ready to mash that L1 dodge thing. 

(aside omg it's taken this long for another game to use god hand dodging!) 

I just nailed the first stage so hard, died once in the corridor like a chump. But am managing to defend myself a lot better. Had some particularly great moments but unfortunately my windows game bar won't let me do the 'last 5 mins' thing on this game! Must investigate. I like flexing in games like this :D

A few people have recommended environmental mastery as an early skill. Instead I'd suggest step forward kick (forward > forward heavy attack) and focus sweep as priorities. An emergency sweep is fuckin great against tough enemies. 

Play through until you die a few times, bank as much xp as poss and see what you can perma unlock between stages. Might grind out a few more of the cheaper skills once this run ends! 

Good game, man! 

Here's why the game would be better with a proper lock-on:

After my initial attack I press Up, Down, Triangle, which is a leg sweep, and that's exactly what happens, but away from the character I was just attacking. Which I didn't want, I wanted to do a leg sweep on the same character I had just attacked. 

This happens way too fucking often, where the game decides the direction of attack for you, and it's unreliable. :(

edit: I've deleted it. I'll maybe revisit it if it gets a patch for difficulty. Fair play to those doing no damage runs and the like, but they must be legit super-fucking-humans.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Here's why the game would be better with a proper lock-on:

After my initial attack I press Up, Down, Triangle, which is a leg sweep, and that's exactly what happens, but away from the character I was just attacking. Which I didn't want, I wanted to do a leg sweep on the same character I had just attacked. 

This happens way too fucking often, where the game decides the direction of attack for you, and it's unreliable. :(

edit: I've deleted it. I'll maybe revisit it if it gets a patch for difficulty. Fair play to those doing no damage runs and the like, but they must be legit super-fucking-humans.

It seems you're reading the command list too literally! Think of those moves as back / forward relative to the camera & the direction you want to attack

The input for sweep is down, up, heavy attack, right? 

If you want to do that move to the left, like in your video, you should press right, left, heavy attack.

Same for the moves that are like up, up, button - that should be input as forward, forward, button - relative to the direction you wish to attack. 

No wonder you've found it so annoying! :)

I can totally understand why you'd take the command list literally, I only knew how it worked from playing dozens of character action games in the past! 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

The insane jerky camera movement in the trailers makes me nauseous. Is it having that effect on anyone in play? Is the camera movement exaggerated in the trailers, or does being in control lessen the constant ’lurching’ sensation?

Its got the most amazingly impactful combat. Probably the best ever I've felt in a game. The muted sound effects help, I think (muted compared to other fighting games). 

I've certainly not found the lurching camera a problem (other than when I can't see enemies while doing a finisher!! They should really let you control camera during the takedowns..)

PS you can also turn off lots of different camera options, I can't remember exactly what was there but screen shake was one. 

Got the Kill Nill trophy for a no death run on the first level. :)

I can do most of the club without dying as well, but I'm having trouble with those two fuckers right before the boss. Need some practice against them. Also, unlock the final skill on the tree (Weapon Mastery)  It's very useful.

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Got the Kill Nill trophy for a no death run on the first level. :)

I can do most of the club without dying as well, but I'm having trouble with those two fuckers right before the boss. Need some practice against them. Also, unlock the final skill on the tree (Weapon Mastery)  It's very useful.

Those two scumbags are glass cannons thankfully. Use heavy sweep on one, dodge the others attacks twice and it should be GG. Repeat for the other. 

Managed to get to level three at 22, but going into four I am 50. Now to learn three properly! Game is back to being good again for me now that I am getting a swing of the big crowds and horrible bastards like in the second level! 

I have to admit, the first couple of hours on this, I thought I'd made a mistake buying it. You have to give it a chance though - it just doesn't really hold your hand that much. One tip that someone wrote on here was to not try and parry an initial attack - just block the first attack and parry the second, and this has helped massively. Now I'll block, parry, push and opponents away/throw them over tables/into each other etc. You can also unlock an ability to chase and attack straight after a shove or sweep them to the floor - it all helps to give you that little bit of breathing space. I find I'm steadily improving with each run through, and I guess that what this game is all about.

So basically I'm really enjoying it now - still only on stage 2, but it's actually good fun ripping through stage 1 again to try and lower the starting age for the next level. :)

2 minutes ago, robdood said:

Oh man, you can spare the bosses instead of killing them! Amazing scenes.

Really? That's cool. Gonna give that a try tonight. Never occured to me to not press the buttons for the finisher. :D

8 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Really? That's cool. Gonna give that a try tonight. Never occured to me to not press the buttons for the finisher. :D

It's a bit trickier than that.. 

Spoiler

You have to break their posture twice... You'll still kill them if you keep hitting them til they run out of life... There's only one tool that'll let you do it - repeated parries.  It's hard!! 

I wonder if it'll affect the end of the game (I'd imagine it will!)

23 minutes ago, robdood said:

Oh man, you can spare the bosses instead of killing them! Amazing scenes.

I can’t imagine doing this, such is my fury. I do feel a bit bad about battering bartenders who don’t aggro, though.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I can’t imagine doing this, such is my fury. I do feel a bit bad about battering bartenders who don’t aggro, though.

Ha, I kicked a bottle of beer at one accidentally last night and felt proper bad :D

1 minute ago, Thor said:

There's a tech guy in the club as well who you can actually talk to if you don't fuck him up. 

Yeah, I went back to him last night wondering if I’d get something for not smashing his head into the mixing desk but alas, no. Sorry about next time, pal, I need the xp.

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Yeah, I went back to him last night wondering if I’d get something for not smashing his head into the mixing desk but alas, no. Sorry about next time, pal, I need the xp.

You don't get any for hitting him. I checked.

Managed to improve my first level.  Yesterday I got to the second level at 46, this morning I got there at 26, but died at the courtyard boss

It's starting to click a bit now, although my parry timing needs some work for sure, is there a specific window to press the parry button?

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

although my parry timing needs some work for sure, is there a specific window to press the parry button?

I have to be honest, I find the parries almost impossible ot land reliably. 

My go-to defence is just hold block.  You'll do just fine like that in a lot of situations on the first stage. It works no matter the angle of the enemies. What you then want to do, once comfy with blocking, is start pressing directions on the left stick while blocking to duck & weave.  You can kind of mash the stick and the timing seems fairly lenient. press down to duck, up to hop over sweeps.  Sweeps are fairly rare / at end of long combos so mashing down works quite nicely and lets you get some good counter attacks in. 

Try and make use of the back > forward heavy attack sweep, follow up with hold B for floor-based beatings. .