IGNORED

Sifu

simms

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Anyone care to guess when this might unlock via the Epic store. 

Reason is that because it's on pre-order status at the moment, those wankers won't let me use my £8 off coupon, and I'm kind of hoping that when it's fully available the thing should work. 

Possibly 12:00 GMT as that's what time the early access doodad unlocked a couple of days ago.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/02/04/sifu-early-access-release-date/

43 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you ask them to patch the second boss, too?

Yeah I am close to throwing my controller out the window. There is learning patterns and then there is this. I feel half the time I am able to dodge his attacks is just pure luck. 

When the game is good, it is very good, but there are some glaring issues. Number of enemies at once, and throwing certain types at you in the same fight. I am 31 and my reflexes just are not up to the task I don't think. 

Will carry on, but it is grinding my gears. I hated Sekiro at first and now it's GOAT for me so there is time yet. 

8 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

When the game is good, it is very good, but there are some glaring issues. Number of enemies at once, and throwing certain types at you in the same fight.

One tip the game gave me on a loading screen is to control the battlefield. It’s easy to think that you’ll be able to batter crowds of enemies like in a Batman Arkham game but that’s rarely the case.

Move around more, split them up. Divide and conquer!

Second boss:

Spoiler

First phase you can pretty much duck everything. There are only really two combos you need to learn, the one that ends with the uppercut-type thing you need to side dodge rather than duck. Second phase I tend to block the first few hits because he starts coming in with lows, but apart from that it's much the same.

Use Focus attacks whenever you have them available. You'll build it up quickly from all the dodges, especially if you've put statue upgrades into focus regain.

When it's my turn to attack I just tend to mash Triangle, far from optimal but I'm still, 30 hours later, more focused on what the bosses are doing than I am.

If you want to try and speed up the second phase a bit, go grab a staff from the weapon rack when the first phase is nearly over.

20 minutes ago, Strafe said:

One tip the game gave me on a loading screen is to control the battlefield. It’s easy to think that you’ll be able to batter crowds of enemies like in a Batman Arkham game but that’s rarely the case.

Yeah and remember to use A / cross to do sweet little rolls and dives over furniture etc.  It's pretty epic when you're in the zone.  

I also love when you fuck up - I aced the first 'side on' section in the first map the first time.  The second time I was cocky, messed up my position and aobut 4 of them all hit me in very quick succession and immediately killed me, it looked brutal. :D

29 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think that's what I hate though. Arkham combat works in these cases as it's incredibly forgiving. But this is a different beast. I think if the AI was less aggressive in groups, or they had less health it would be spot on. 

I don't want to have to run around either :( haha I want to feel like I. Taking on waves like a beast. Maybe that part is just me. 

It's the Sekiro thing where you can actually fight five enemies at once and bounce off death blows easily, but even getting some enemies to death blows in this is arduous in comparison. The parry is way less forgiving than Sekiro too. 

I think they have tried clearly to make it like Sekiro, but the enemies health bars are just too high.

Like I say when I enjoy it, I really do, but I think it is slightly off balance in places and it hurts the whole experience. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

French developer gets stick for not respecting chinese culture enough meanwhile the chinese are adding their own state approved endings to western movies.  🙄

I appear to have ended up on Reddit somehow.

9 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

The parry is way less forgiving than Sekiro too. 

Yep, I actually believe the parry window is too narrow. This was a small dev team, right? Now, this is pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing their testers were so in tune with the game's systems that their perceived level of difficulty is wildly different to 90% of the gaming public (just like that bit in Driver all those years ago).

I wonder how many people buy this and never get further than the second level. 

The second level will be a sticking point, for sure. Not least because the shortcut doesn't cut it all that short.

I think a general good combo against bosses (as long as you've got the running sweep) is a couple of hard punches, throw them while they're still stunned, run and sweep, punch them on the floor.

My problem with Souls games has always been that I find the necessary repetition of sections crushingly boring. Returnal broke that feeling for me where every single ‘cycle’ was fun and rewarding. Sifu falls into that same category where no amount of replays or deaths is going to dampen my enjoyment of this game. It’s just fucking beautiful.

Fail to use the powerful abilities at your disposal and you die. The reward is the experience of learning how to get good with the system rather than simply progressing to the next section. I’ve not got past level 1 but have spent hours working on the basic movements I’m going to need automatically as things get crazy. Right now I’m using dodge a lot but need to get comfortable sitting behind block ‘in the pocket’ and figuring out what attacks to parry and when to unleash. It’s balance. 

I very wise man once said “you can’t keep that defence only bullshit up forever” and I won’t but for now it feels like where I need to be :)

Edit: my competitiveness made me seek out a speedrun, and it does open my eyes to more techniques... I will give it a few more hours then... Why do I do this to myself?

I am done unfortunately. Made it to the third level, but as someone who thrives on no hit runs, and tries to be a perfectionist this game just is not for me. 

I could keep running around picking one by one off, but that's about as entertaining as cutting my feet and then dipping them in Listerine. 

I am certain some will be able to play it the way I want to. Surrounded by enemies and just destroying them all, but I just cannot.

This is the first game where I actually feel like I am no longer competitive...

15 hours ago, Strafe said:

I haven’t seen that. There’s a couple that have two health bars (and two posture bars) but I haven’t noticed anyone regenerating posture.

Played this afternoon for a little bit. First big guy in level 1, you can see his posture bar shortening over time.

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Played this afternoon for a little bit. First big guy in level 1, you can see his posture bar shortening over time.

Thats not regenerating. The first big guy is a tutorial on dodging also.

18 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm about to give up on the game, which is far sooner than I gave up on Sekiro. For me there's just too much inconsistency with the parrying, and how enemies sometimes seem to block everything you try, but it's almost certainly me that's the problem. I can imagine someone really mastering this and doing amazing playthroughs, but that person ain't me.

Edit: Do I regret buying it? Yes.

I feel like I dodged a bullet with Sifu, as much as I want to play it the difficulty sounds insane when people says its harder than Sekiro.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Thats not regenerating. 

Then what is it doing? :lol: 

Right, I just went back to the beginning of the game. I think you're mixing up the health bars and the posture bars. Health is white, doesn't regenerate. Yellow is posture, and widens as you (and enemies) lose it. Over time that posture bar narrows as you/the enemy regains posture.

20 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I feel like I dodged a bullet with Sifu, as much as I want to play it the difficulty sounds insane when people says its harder than Sekiro.

I'm going to give it another chance. For example I'm going to go back and grind through levels 1 and a bit of 2 to permanently unlock the recommended attacks (both of which I don't have). 

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I'm going to give it another chance. For example I'm going to go back and grind through levels 1 and a bit of 2 to permanently unlock the recommended attacks (both of which I don't have). 

I probably wait until the Steam sales hit to nab it, with Elden Rings coming soon. At least souls games let you grind your way to the next point. You can finish most of them with persistence rather than improvement.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Then what is it doing? :lol: 

Right, I just went back to the beginning of the game. I think you're mixing up the health bars and the posture bars. Health is white, doesn't regenerate. Yellow is posture, and widens as you (and enemies) lose it. Over time that posture bar narrows as you/the enemy regains posture.

Yeah, I had that the wrong way round, sorry. I haven’t seen much in posture bars shrinking though, I’ll keep an eye out.

12 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I probably wait until the Steam sales hit to nab it, with Elden Rings coming soon. At least souls games let you grind your way to the next point. You can finish most of them with persistence rather than improvement.

The combat is genuinely enjoyable and feels great when you get it right - but the game isn't always good at communicating why you've got it right, which then leads to you (or at least, me) wondering why the fuck you're suddenly getting your arse spanked by similar enemies who you were just rinsing. 

Also, this game would be improved with a lock-on mechanic. Far too many times I've attempted an attack and either swung at thin air, or hit a different enemy, leaving me open to an attack from the person I wanted to hit, and then getting hit by that enemy, and then getting hit again by other enemies, and before I know it I'm dead. There is a soft lock, but it's shit and appears to change ... when it feels like.

Multiple runs of L1 done now and improved my exit status to 29 years old and 3 upgrades done on the 'health on a takedown' perk. Also perma unlocked one of the charge strikes. I'm still pretty poor at controlling encounters, but the moments of absolute Johnny Lawrence level badass are becoming more regular :) Flirted with L2 but the step up is real, both in volume and quality of enemies. I'm so happy this game has been made!

I think I like it.

Although I kind of wish I able to use something akin to a SF2 arcade stick for it though! I have the double whammy of not having good enough reactions most of the time, plus the worry of thinking my joypad's going to break after a session with the game.

I hope they get the chinese voice acting in there soon though - the english voices are fucking awful. I'm also not entirely convinced by the soundtrack so far. Admittedly early in, and whilst it's not bad, it's just very bland so far.

The animation is lovely, and the graphics in general look great though. 

All my woes aside I think there's something to be said about the vistas in this game, be it the level select menu or just in general. They are incredibly simple in terms of geometry, but the use of those painterly textures is mesmerising. Feels like a comic! 

23 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

I am finding it absolutely nails, but I am struggling with whether to parry or dodge. I just cannot seem to get it down, but occasionally some madness happens and it's pure magic! 

I think it's harder than Sekiro for me! 

I’ve been playing this a bit (more) and I think it’s very important to decide when it’s good to block too.

As I understand it, you will block every move that comes at you (at the cost of posture obvs) but sometimes it’s better to do that than try and get in with constant parries or dodges.

In fact I would also say you want to be looking at mixing them into one attack pattern. I’m regularly mixing them now, for example blocking the first attack and dodging the second and third. Using the block as respite when you’re not sure can really make a difference.

Also, doing it like this makes it more timing than reaction based as you’re waiting on something specific to counter.