Sifu

simms

I really like the way this is structured and I don't really like Roguelikes. I like that there are clear separate stages and you can bank your moves and pick which level you attempt. Obviously the younger you come out of each stage, the better but I like that you can just jump straight into a later stage and see if you can push that bit further. Yeah, really liking it.

1 minute ago, Tomdominer said:

One thing that video review doesn't really mention is how the age actually affect the gameplay?

Do you just die at a certain age? Is it at a specific age every time?

Yes.  Watch the skillup review a couple of pages back. 

Basically you will always die once you reach max age.  It effectively gives you a set amount of lives to clear the whole game. 

There are 5 stages.  It saves your age at the start of each stage.  If you reach the end but keep dying, you're going to have to revisit earlier stages in order to do them with fewer failures, then redo the rest to get back up to where you were with more lives left. 

4 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

One thing that video review doesn't really mention is how the age actually affect the gameplay?

Do you just die at a certain age? Is it at a specific age every time?

The younger you are, the more energy you have, the older you get, the fewer hits you can take but you're stronger. Yeah, you die once you hit 80 but you age in jumps... something which took me by surprise when my age started shooting up 2 - 4 - 6 years at a jump.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Does this do anything interesting with the Dual Sense controller? I really want to *feel* those quick flurries to the windpipe, you know?

Yeah, the haptics are pretty good. There’s a satisfying crunch on connect and a thud on a block.

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

Basically you will always die once you reach max age.  It effectively gives you a set amount of lives to clear the whole game. 

There are 5 stages.  It saves your age at the start of each stage.  If you reach the end but keep dying, you're going to have to revisit earlier stages in order to do them with fewer failures, then redo the rest to get back up to where you were with more lives left. 

In addition to this: you can reset your death counter but not your age so the next time you die you’ll age less. If you die in your 70’s, you’re done.

Also, if you replay a level but do it worse then it saves that, I discovered (I think), so if you’re replaying a level and older than you were when you cleared it last you’re better off letting them kill you.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Does this do anything interesting with the Dual Sense controller? I really want to *feel* those quick flurries to the windpipe, you know?

They're not as good as say Astro or Returnal, but there's some fun stuff. I like how it's synched to a techno beat in a club at one point.

Also, that running tackle is a powerful move. Definitely worth permanently unlocking.

15 hours ago, jonamok said:

Sounds perfect for Game Pass.

Is there a game which isn’t “perfect for GP”? Literally said about every game people don’t want to buy on release.

Also, can seeing what @Wiper is getting at, whilst not cultural appropriation it’s a form of cultural approximation (cultural tourism?) which could have probably been thought through better. Imagine if Black Panther was made by an all white crew. Beds would’ve been shat on.

First boss question.

Spoiler

While I've defeated him multiple times now, I do have problems with his second phase, in particular when he jumps out of the bushes. Is this an attack you need to perfect parry? If so, I'm really struggling with the timing.

13 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

First boss question.

Hide contents

While I've defeated him multiple times now, I do have problems with his second phase, in particular when he jumps out of the bushes. Is this an attack you need to perfect parry? If so, I'm really struggling with the timing.

Spoiler

Last-second side dodge. Or, if you're not up for it, just start running away as soon as he disappears and you should be well clear of it.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Also, if you replay a level but do it worse then it saves that, I discovered (I think), so if you’re replaying a level and older than you were when you cleared it last you’re better off letting them kill you.

Is that true? It overwrites a better play through with a more recent one however that run turns out?

45 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

First boss question.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You can press L1 plus down at the right moment to dodge it. 

Also, my hands hurt playing this... Very intense ha! 

2 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

But you still get experience which can be used to unlock permanent upgrades, and then go and play to come out at a younger age.

Yes. And I don’t think you have to complete the stage to permanently unlock something, so you can grind reasonably carefree provided you don’t complete the level.

Right?

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

Yes. And I don’t think you have to complete the stage to permanently unlock something, so you can grind reasonably carefree provided you don’t complete the level.

Right?

Good question! I haven't tried unlocking something then quitting but might be a good idea maybe. Depends how confident you are carrying exp into the next stage? 

The game is really weird in a wonderful way. 

Very different, doesn't explain much but you feel smart for figuring stuff out, patterns etc. 

I need a break though, inputs are so often I feel fatigued which is something I have never experienced before. Really quite strange. I think I am just old... 

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

I got this wrong, I think.

It will save your best age for a level. 

So I am at level 2 aged 34.

However, if you continue straight into the next level on a worse score you’ll keep that age until you restart. I think.

I hope that makes sense.

3 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Is there a game which isn’t “perfect for GP”? Literally said about every game people don’t want to buy on release.

Well, in this case its because its definitely has the potential to divide opinion. Its very hardcore, with a lot of dedication needed in order for you to enjoy it.

Dropping £35-40 on a game you are not sure you'll actually enjoy is why its perfect for gamepass.

50 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I got this wrong, I think.

It will save your best age for a level. 

So I am at level 2 aged 34.

However, if you continue straight into the next level on a worse score you’ll keep that age until you restart. I think.

I hope that makes sense.

Yep, that's it.

55 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Well, in this case its because its definitely has the potential to divide opinion. Its very hardcore, with a lot of dedication needed in order for you to enjoy it.

Dropping £35-40 on a game you are not sure you'll actually enjoy is why its perfect for gamepass.

Counterpoint - if you pay for the game you’ll be more invested and probably play it more. If it’s disposable you’ll likely give up pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Counterpoint - if you pay for the game you’ll be more invested and probably play it more. If it’s disposable you’ll likely give up pretty quickly.

This is me. I have GamePass PC and I hardly ever use it. Much prefer buying the games I really want on Steam. Same with Netflix, there is a shitload of stuff on there and I hardly ever watch something. Don't even know where to start. Whereas I took a Prime sub just to watch The Expanse.
I don't buy that many games each year (though this year looks pretty crazy) but I tend to be really invested in the ones I do buy (save for the odd disappointment, like Deathloop).

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I get that the mechanics are worlds apart, but is the gameplay loop in this in any way comparable to that in Returnal? 

I like both games quite a bit, but they pretty different in terms of how they're structured. Sifu has no procedural generation for example, and you have multiple lives. It has some elements of permament progression, but it's not really a roguelite.

What they have in common, in my opinion, is that they both are modern interpretations of classic arcade genres. Returnal as a bullet hell shooter and this as a beat 'em up.

1 hour ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I get that the mechanics are worlds apart, but is the gameplay loop in this in any way comparable to that in Returnal? 

It’s more like Deathloop than Returnal in that you can pick up new abilities to use but unless you pay the required amount of currency/xp to keep it permanently, you lose it when you die.

1 minute ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Hmmm, I'm really unsure. I'd either really, really love it or play it once and hate it. kinda wish there was a demo.

Yup. I'm not usually one for demos, but this kind of game kind of feels an ideal subject for a small tester. Even just a small 10 minute thing would have been useful.

There's an element of metroidvania here as well, with areas initially locked off which you can unlock later if when you revisit the levels. This afternoon in Level 1 ...

Spoiler

I used the shortcut and got to the final boss still at age 20. He knocked four years off me, but I can now go into level 2 at age 24 instead of 38. 

I notice there's a locked door just before the boss room which I assume I will get a key-card for in a later level as I fill out the board.

7 hours ago, robdood said:

I watched the whole video, and I am 65% sure he doesn't clarify the stuff about when you get too old to continue, only about age having an impact on the skill tree.