Sifu

simms

I get a real Rise To Honour (PS2, Jet Li game) vibe about this one. I know that game didn't butter many parsnips with game critics, but I really enjoyed it, stick slapping mechanic and all.

You can tell the devs have watched The Raid more than once too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4K trailer from tonight's State of Play. Release has been pushed back to 'Early 2021':

Shame it's not out this year, but I still thought it was the coolest trailer in the entire show.

57 minutes ago, jonamok said:

The camera movement and judder in that trailer made me feel nauseous. None of the prior clips had that effect. Hopefully, neither does the game.

It said right at the start camera angles adjusted for trailer use.

Yeah, you can see the trailers are proper work-in-progress, one had great big comic book style effects on hits and for telegraphs, but they decided not to go with that and went with a subtle blur in the more recent ones.

Everything they show looks great, this is quickly becoming one of my most anticipated titles.

I tell you what though: they really need to improve the impact sounds I think. I mean sure, realistically punches sound quite dull when they hit flesh, but this kind of game needs some proper Shaw Brothers style thwacking to really ram those strikes home.

I dunno, I loved the sound of that metal baseball bat hitting home. Sounded great.

Agree though, could use some crunchy fist hitting jaw sounds

• 2 months later...

Oh God, I see what you mean. I've watched 55 seconds of that preview and my eyes hurt and I've got a headache. It looks like it'll be great if you can handle the camera movement, but I'm not sure I can.

Nah, the close thirdperson perspective is the appeal, there's loads of brawlers that just pull the camera out to overhead, but getting all of that to work with the camera right there and having it move in response to everything is basically why I think this could be really big and important.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nah, the close thirdperson perspective is the appeal, there's loads of brawlers that just pull the camera out to overhead, but getting all of that to work with the camera right there and having it move in response to everything is basically why I think this could be really big and important.

Big and important and headache inducing for me.