IGNORED

Sifu

simms

10 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Tips for the level 2 boss? I'm assuming it's prodigious use of the LB dodge?

Yep.

Kill Nil Get! Did it without the shortcut so I'm now going into level 2 with two upgrades to Focus Regain and one to Weapon Proficiency.

I love Souls games, enjoyed Returnal, and Sekiro was my GOTY when it came out, but I don't play fighting games at all, and combos get on my nerves.

Will I like this game, rllmuk? Nate's three star Guardian review put me off a bit, but then he still appears to be playing it, so maybe the endgame and challenge runs are where it's at.

Do the trophies provide much incentive to keep playing?

28 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I love Souls games, enjoyed Returnal, and Sekiro was my GOTY when it came out, but I don't play fighting games at all, and combos get on my nerves.

Will I like this game, rllmuk? Nate's three star Guardian review put me off a bit, but then he still appears to be playing it, so maybe the endgame and challenge runs are where it's at.

I think you would be alright not playing fighting games, and combos are limited in use here really. Don't get me wrong, endless dodging with the use of some square/triangle button presses (mostly delayed press combos which are my favourite anyway), but nothing too crazy. 

Trophies in this seem great and I am running for the platinum at the minute. Best the game and still plenty to unlock! 

47 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Dude. I've been playing for close to 20 hours and I've only just reached stage 4 of 5. 

I think if you enjoyed the challenge of Sekiro you'll enjoy this, they are superficial similar but quite different games, though.  

This is a literal metphor for kung fu training.  It's about gitting gud.  In the best possible way.  And once you git gud, it's DIVINE ❤️

As I kid I used to fantasise about having a Bruce Lee simulator, a game where I could do kung fu like I saw in his movies.  This is more along the lines of a modern Shaw Brothers movie than Bruce's stuff, but my gooooooood it's awesome if you've ever had a thing for kung fu. 

And just cos I haven't said it for a while, this is a staggeringly good looking game.  Like, the imagination in the weird transitions, the colours, lighting, everything looks so solid and like it pops out of the screen, the bizarre transformations of locations, all top drawer.  Absolutely loving it.  I can't believe some of the stuff I've seen online where people say it looks garbage, lol. 

I've had a good mooch around stage 4, I felt like I was close to unlocking a shortcut but I'm just too old to take the beats - it's freakin' HARD man!!  They've done that thing where like single-enemy encounter minibosses are now just regular enemies and I haven't really learned how to beat them properly yet!!  Those stupid spinney kick women, man. 

Think I'm gonna slink back to chapter 2 to see if I can improve my exit of the club... 

Spoilery act 4 screenshot... I had totally forgotten there's a photo mode!!  :D

Spoiler

240556486_Sifu11_02_202220_34_19.thumb.jpg.028e7180096eb3037d7ff4d185e5d8cb.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

There’s a sort of mainstream media tax on games like this, you’re putting things in a wider cultural context, and writing for folk that maybe don’t consider themselves airquotes-gamers.

I’m still playing it because it is absolutely my sort of thing, and it sounds like it’s absolutely yours too. I say go for it. 

Beat the game at 23. 

As for @Nate Dogg IIIs review. I actually agree with you completely. I am usually quite a polarising opinion Spewer when it comes to comes (love Sekiro, hate Skyrim, love Mass Effect 2, hate DA Inquisition etc) but with this it's weird! I love it to pieces, but it has a few glaring issues that are hard to look past, and if you don't give the game a bit of extra time it will be in the bin straight away. 

I know "play more!" Isn't what people like to hear, in terms of difficult games, but it is absolutely true with this. There have been times where I am like FUCK THIS SHIT, Nearly smashing my hand through the chair, but it pulled me back in. I gave myself welcome breaks too, and each time I came back better. Felt like playing Guitar Hero on Expert and nigh on failing everything, only to realise days later I am five starring it all. Beautiful stuff. 

but aye, some of the enemy patterns, and most importantly placement is straight up horseshit unless you have figured them out completely so it really is not the perfect game. Super Meat Boy does what this game does terribly. Gradual difficulty. 

Beat the last boss at 23 for that minging trophy! Now to clean up! 

Just now, SuperCapes said:

Haha you can sniff Skyrim hate a mile off can't you! We like many similar games though chap!!!!

You at least like Mass Effect 2. :)

I have to play this game in short stints, I get frustrated too easily. I managed to get to level 3 at 43 as opposed to 46 last time, but considering  I started level 2 at 20 that's more than a bit duff. The two cunts cost me again, but it was the boss that fucked me this time.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

You at least like Mass Effect 2. :)

I have to play this game in short stints, I get frustrated too easily. I managed to get to level 3 at 43 as opposed to 46 last time, but considering  I started level 2 at 20 that's more than a bit duff. The two cunts cost me again, but it was the boss that fucked me this time.

Mass Effect 2 is GOAT!!! I think it's why I like Guardians so much. No game has come close to Mass Effect 2s relationships until that. 

Try not to worry too much about getting level 2 down. It cost me part of my sanity. Those two together are an absolute joke, but you will get there! 

Interesting hearing about frustration from @SuperCapes and @ThorI'm not sure why, but I don't really get too cross when I play games.

Dont get me wrong, when I was younger I used to RAGE at counterstrike and street fighter 4,but these days I guess I'm a bit more chill! 

And I do let out a fe "for fucks sakes" while playing this, but it's mainly in exasperation at myself for being dumb. 

@SuperCapes what are the 'glaring' issues for you? Beyond the camera being thick I don't think there's much that goes wrong that's beyond your control or manipulation. 

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Block everything except for their 3 punch combo in which case block the first 2 hits and dodge the third (you need a slight pause before dodging the third hit.)

As mentioned a few posts up stand at the side of the room so it allows you to dodge the third punch, counter punch and then push them off the ledge. This will do big damage and give you time 1 on 1 because they have to get up and run back round to you.

If you end up blocking too much without getting a chance at this and your posture bar is too high back right off (run away) and let your bar recover 

This worked pretty well! It’s still a bit of an unbalanced scrap with two of them but much easier now, thanks!

3 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Try not to worry too much about getting level 2 down. It cost me part of my sanity. Those two together are an absolute joke, but you will get there!

I almost perfected it just now, died twice to the boss! The bastard. The second phase is weird, he goes through phases of just constantly leaping away after I avoid all his attacks, so I can't get a retaliation in! Feels like I'm missing something. 

1 minute ago, robdood said:

I almost perfected it just now, died twice to the boss! The bastard. The second phase is weird, he goes through phases of just constantly leaping away after I avoid all his attacks, so I can't get a retaliation in! Feels like I'm missing something. 

Nice! So for the first phase just dodge as per usual and retaliate with Triangle Pause Triangle, then for the second, Parry the first two hits and then if he goes for a third dodge to recover structure. His structure will fill so quickly from the parries. 

My glaring issues with the game are as you mentioned, the camera being a jerk, the parry window is too thin, and the enemy placement is poorly laid out in terms of educational progression. 

Don't get me wrong, all of it can be mastered, thus not technically making it unfair, it is just so unbelievably punishing. It hurts age 20 runs too with cheap placements like the two ass holes before Sean, but it can be learnt... Eventually! 

Level 1 is absolute perfection in my eyes, with 3,4 and 5 being surprisingly balanced too, if not a little easier in areas! 2 has some weird spots where the game actively ages you in game and real time ha! 

This would be my game of the last 12 months even besting Returnal, had my intro hours had not been so crazy. Now that I feel pretty good, it is just sensational. But I feel I have the factor in that it made me rage like nothing else. 

Oooh I'm close to perfecting stage 3 as well. That boss seemed crazy hard the first time but now I can see me doing it without fucking up. 

This fucking game. 

Age 31 into act 4. Opening a fresh beer. Let's do this! 

For those that have fought the 3rd boss, just in case you want to be extra fancy…

Spoiler

If you have the upgrade, you can catch her kunai and throw them back at her

I’m personally being a little to greedy with it and it gets me killed >< but it is pretty cool and I’m wondering if you can set something up like when she charges you as it stuns her if you land it.

Going into the club with its pumping soundtrack and smashing people up (somewhat competently) just feels amazing.

This two dickheads at the end of the club are something else, but maybe this'll be where I learn to start avoiding low attacks, something I haven't even slightly got into my muscle memory yet.

Platinum get!!!

After initial frustrations, turned out to be one of the most entertaining games I have played in a long time. Going into bosses without even an iota of concern is a great feeling. 

Now to play something easy breezy until Elden Ring comes out to give these aging bones of mine a break. 

14 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Now to play something easy breezy until Elden Ring comes out to give these aging bones of mine a break. 

By Azura! Have you heard of our lord and saviour, Skyrim? 🤣