IGNORED

Sifu

simms

Sorry for gif spam, I just love this game so much ❤️

I'm not sure why, but this guy just refused to block.  I'd cleared this room without dying, which as anyone who recognises it will know, feels fucking amazing :D

giphy.gif

What a badass finish! 

Just beat the 1st boss age 40. Fuck this game. Tried doing 1st level again and trying to practice blocking and combos but what I’m doing with the buttons doesn’t seem to translate to what my character does, at all. Probably try again in a week, just put me in a bad mood

I think at that stage, yep it's probably best to take a break, because you'll get frustrated easily and be trying way too hard. I'm just remembering a similar scenario in Sekiro when I just could *not* beat the Ashina Elite samurai (just before Genichiro) - for some reason I just couldn't adjust my brain to the deflection timing no matter what I did. Honestly I must have tried it about 50 times, I felt like my hand/eye coordination was actually glitched, it was horrible.

Took a 2 day break, went back and first god damn time it was "parry-parry, parry-parry deathblow" x2. Seriously it was over in about 10 seconds, I just needed that mental "click". 😀

I only really started to get this game after using more of the techniques (push backs, throws) that aren't explained amazingly well. Plus I only really just found out how to use focus strikes.  I'm still no good at all btw, but I feel like I'm beginning to understand the basics. I can do stage 1 almost perfectly, so one-on-ones are easy and small groups are ok. Big groups with multiple weapons, the guys who get the smoke/aura around them and mini bosses - I still have big problems with though. 

@CheekyMonkeythe next thing I think you should learn is stun throws. Literally the most useful tool in the game, especially for groups.

After a dodge or parry, jab then X+A. You can choose where to throw them. They will often drop their weapons. So will those you throw them into. Who also now be jab > throwable. You can cause some amazing chaos using this tech. 

8 hours ago, robdood said:

Started again tonight as a woman so that I could fix my stage one powerups. 

Nearly cleared stage 2 on first attempt, I did pretty poorly though.  Will be interesting to try a 'no powerups' run if I ever get that good! 

But: chain throws on this guy are so fucking sweet :D

giphy.gif

This is great!

I was trying to do this but could never get the right position on the columns.

I think another important tip is whenever you have an opportunity for hitting the into an environment - do it!

You can do it with throws or the light, light, heavy combo.

It’s important because some of the best damage you can get is from the enemy hitting the environment.

Finally nailed the Squats with no deaths! What a satisfying pre-work session.  This game' smessing with my brain, I'm having mad Sifu dreams and waking up super early every day itching to play more!! Been a while since I was this obsessed! :D:D:D

Was a little gutted as some of it was sloppy, I'd had some prior runs where I'd OBLITERATED some rooms, but then would die to some jabroni noob with a pipe accidentally.  Lame!  BUT WE GOT IT. 

Highlights:

Gravity wins

Phase 1 of the boss, decimated the fucker

5 hours ago, robdood said:

@CheekyMonkeythe next thing I think you should learn is stun throws. Literally the most useful tool in the game, especially for groups.

After a dodge or parry, jab then X+A. You can choose where to throw them. They will often drop their weapons. So will those you throw them into. Who also now be jab > throwable. You can cause some amazing chaos using this tech. 

@robdood yes that's exactly what I've been concentrating on! I usually block first strike, then parry, then combo/counter followed by X+A, then follow up with the chase strikes (just because those are so badass). :)

I found today that I'm just struggling with the "non-standard" enemies ie mini bosses. I just can't seems to parry them and I think I almost always dodge/sway in the wrong direction so keep getting hit.  Stage 2 sticking points are the 2 fighters people have mentioned before (just before the actual boss fight I think). I also tried to fight the announcer (the one who says "you will be tested")... and she absolutely battered me. Am I also right in saying that an enemy with an aura around them cannot be parried? Never seem to be able to parry-stun them...

54 minutes ago, CheekyMonkey said:

@robdood yes that's exactly what I've been concentrating on! I usually block first strike, then parry, then combo/counter followed by X+A, then follow up with the chase strikes (just because those are so badass). :)

I found today that I'm just struggling with the "non-standard" enemies ie mini bosses. I just can't seems to parry them and I think I almost always dodge/sway in the wrong direction so keep getting hit.  Stage 2 sticking points are the 2 fighters people have mentioned before (just before the actual boss fight I think). I also tried to fight the announcer (the one who says "you will be tested")... and she absolutely battered me. Am I also right in saying that an enemy with an aura around them cannot be parried? Never seem to be able to parry-stun them...

Let's call those mini bosses 'Elites', shall we? First up - how to spot them. 

I've noticed the easiest way to tell if they'll change is their health bar.  A normal hp bar looks like this:

image.png.3c932b28ad08d07a43b7f6bc4feb34cd.png

Elites have a glowing health bar, even before they transform. 

image.png.0ccadde4b13fedf1b2e0f5933ed1a3f0.png

With this information, you'll notice there are multiple potential elites per encounter.  If you use a finisher on them they will power up.  So you can avoid them by not using the finisher.  I *think* you can only ever trigger one Elite per encounter / room. 

You can definitely parry them, though I've only ever done it by accident as I rely on L1+left stick dodging for the most part. It seems a lot more forgiving.

Speaking of which, there are only two directions for that L1 dodge: UP (avoids sweeps/low attacks) and ANY OTHER DIRECTION (avoids everything else).  This direction is NOT relative to the way your character is facing.  Basically you only ever need to use the UP dodge if you know a low attack is coming. 

As for the fighters before act 2 boss - these guys are called 'Disciples' according to the in-game detective board, btw! - I have totally sussed these guys now, they are garbage! :D I exclusively use the L1+left stick dodging. 

Watch which hand they start their combo with - I can't remember exactly which is which from memory, but

They do two combos: one will be the all-high combo, the other will be the one that ends in a sweep.  Dodge them all and counter after the 3rd attack.  For the all-highs, the last hit is delayed, its got a very predictable 1, 2.... 3! rhythm which is learnable.  Try just holding block and listen to the impact sound fx to get the timing down.  The sweep combo has an uppercut-type punch in the middle which can help you notice the sweep is coming and the need to dodge UP!

when you counter, for for a jab > throw, throw them at a wall and repeat.  If you're lucky you can get multiple jab > throw loops.  If you're finding it hard to deal with them both (and it can be hard when they both attack at the same time!) then use something like Focus Sweep or Eye Jab to put one out of action for a bit. 

23 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Starting to enjoy this now, it helps to go in with the mindset that it's all about the journey and not the destination. Still shit at crowd control but I'm sure I'll get there. 

It is like the most amazing metaphor for actual kung fu training and discipline!  Pretty great in a meta sense. 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Let's call those mini bosses 'Elites', shall we? First up - how to spot them. 

I've noticed the easiest way to tell if they'll change is their health bar.  A normal hp bar looks like this:

image.png.3c932b28ad08d07a43b7f6bc4feb34cd.png

Elites have a glowing health bar, even before they transform. 

image.png.0ccadde4b13fedf1b2e0f5933ed1a3f0.png

With this information, you'll notice there are multiple potential elites per encounter.  If you use a finisher on them they will power up.  So you can avoid them by not using the finisher.  I *think* you can only ever trigger one Elite per encounter / room. 

You can definitely parry them, though I've only ever done it by accident as I rely on L1+left stick dodging for the most part. It seems a lot more forgiving.

Speaking of which, there are only two directions for that L1 dodge: UP (avoids sweeps/low attacks) and ANY OTHER DIRECTION (avoids everything else).  This direction is NOT relative to the way your character is facing.  Basically you only ever need to use the UP dodge if you know a low attack is coming. 

As for the fighters before act 2 boss - these guys are called 'Disciples' according to the in-game detective board, btw! - I have totally sussed these guys now, they are garbage! :D I exclusively use the L1+left stick dodging. 

Watch which hand they start their combo with - I can't remember exactly which is which from memory, but

They do two combos: one will be the all-high combo, the other will be the one that ends in a sweep.  Dodge them all and counter after the 3rd attack.  For the all-highs, the last hit is delayed, its got a very predictable 1, 2.... 3! rhythm which is learnable.  Try just holding block and listen to the impact sound fx to get the timing down.  The sweep combo has an uppercut-type punch in the middle which can help you notice the sweep is coming and the need to dodge UP!

when you counter, for for a jab > throw, throw them at a wall and repeat.  If you're lucky you can get multiple jab > throw loops.  If you're finding it hard to deal with them both (and it can be hard when they both attack at the same time!) then use something like Focus Sweep or Eye Jab to put one out of action for a bit. 

Quick tip against the Disciples

In that room, the centre goes down a few steps and is a lower part of the room. If you go to the side of the room it’s a drop to the centre so you can dodge, counter and push them off the small ledge, which acts as fall damage and takes a big chunk of health

Excellent tip there, @Goemon!!

I was practicing against the pair of disciples behind the pin code door in the club.  Fucking hell man, I think the earlier ones (like the single one you fight who drops the access card) are on a 'use fewer moves' setting :lol:

I retract my earlier 'garbage' statement from the record! 

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I just beat level 2’s Sean and made it to the museum level. Unfortunately, at age 74, I’m now older than most of the exhibits.

I have played this too much, and I am obsessed with it! I died to Sean 5 times before beating him! 

I think replaying level 1 and 2 so much made me overpowered going into the rest! 

1 minute ago, robdood said:

Apols, edited. I didn't really class that a spoiler personally!

You’re probably right and I’m being over sensitive. I’m just still raging about my level 3 pensioner status 😭 

I love how awesome the outfits are when you're old though!! I don't want to go around in a stupid vest all the time. 

Let me rock these sorts of threads in my twenties!!

High-Quality-Bruce-lee-wing-chun-reversi

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The two you fight right before Sean on level 2x What’s everyone’s tips on them?

Especially the guy, he wrecks me. Sean does, too but at least I know what I’m doing there.

I use much the same strategy as I use on Sean honestly. Learn the patterns and focus on dodging, forget about parrying. Ideally you’ll focus attention on the woman first but that’s often out of your hands. 

It’s one of the weirdest fights in the game. Sometimes I struggle terribly and others I absolutely piss it, and it’s very hard to see any difference in approach. 

(PS have also noticed deflects work like sekiro, i.e. deflects still fill your bar if imperfect, but even when your bar has filled, as long as you deflect instead of block  your posture doesn't break)

53 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The two you fight right before Sean on level 2x What’s everyone’s tips on them?

Especially the guy, he wrecks me. Sean does, too but at least I know what I’m doing there.

Block everything except for their 3 punch combo in which case block the first 2 hits and dodge the third (you need a slight pause before dodging the third hit.)

As mentioned a few posts up stand at the side of the room so it allows you to dodge the third punch, counter punch and then push them off the ledge. This will do big damage and give you time 1 on 1 because they have to get up and run back round to you.

If you end up blocking too much without getting a chance at this and your posture bar is too high back right off (run away) and let your bar recover